Author Topic: NASA Pauses to Honor Astronauts Lost to Space Exploration  (Read 957 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NASA Pauses to Honor Astronauts Lost to Space Exploration
« on: January 31, 2020, 03:09:46 pm »
Spectrum News 13 By Greg Pallone 1/30/2020

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — It was a solemn day across Florida's space community as NASA memorialized the heroes who gave their lives in the name of space exploration.

NASA annually honors lives lost in name of space exploration

Day of Remembrance falls on somber anniversary week for NASA

Crowds gathered at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex's Space Mirror Memorial to honor the 25 people whose names are engraved there.

A bell was rung for each of the heroes who have perished during the six-decade-old U.S. space program. They include test pilots and the crews of Apollo 1, space shuttle Challenger, and space shuttle Columbia.

The annual Day of Remembrance is observed during the most tragic week in NASA history.

The Apollo 1 crew was killed during a launch pad fire on January 27, 1967. On January 28, 1986, seventy-three seconds into flight, Challenger exploded, killing the seven-member crew. The seven-member shuttle Columbia crew was killed when the orbiter broke apart during landing on February 1, 2003.

More: https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/space/2020/01/30/nasa-day-of-remembrance-2020

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: NASA Pauses to Honor Astronauts Lost to Space Exploration
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:34:06 am »
I didn't know the count was up to 25 now. Fifteen of them died on space missions. The other ten astronauts in plane crashes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:40:57 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 08:20:04 pm »

"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:23 pm »
Spectrum News 13 By Greg Pallone 1/30/2020

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — It was a solemn day across Florida's space community as NASA memorialized the heroes who gave their lives in the name of space exploration.

NASA annually honors lives lost in name of space exploration

Day of Remembrance falls on somber anniversary week for NASA

Crowds gathered at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex's Space Mirror Memorial to honor the 25 people whose names are engraved there.

A bell was rung for each of the heroes who have perished during the six-decade-old U.S. space program. They include test pilots and the crews of Apollo 1, space shuttle Challenger, and space shuttle Columbia.

The annual Day of Remembrance is observed during the most tragic week in NASA history.

The Apollo 1 crew was killed during a launch pad fire on January 27, 1967. On January 28, 1986, seventy-three seconds into flight, Challenger exploded, killing the seven-member crew. The seven-member shuttle Columbia crew was killed when the orbiter broke apart during landing on February 1, 2003.

More: https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/space/2020/01/30/nasa-day-of-remembrance-2020

@Elderberry

The only one I remember hearing about was the Challenger disaster. I didn't read a paper or listen to radio or tv news  from 1964 to some time in the 80's. Looking back at it now,it's amazing how much was going on that I didn't have a clue about.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 11:02:01 pm »
@Elderberry

The only one I remember hearing about was the Challenger disaster. I didn't read a paper or listen to radio or tv news  from 1964 to some time in the 80's. Looking back at it now,it's amazing how much was going on that I didn't have a clue about.
I recalled Apollo, fire on the pad, and Columbia breaking up on reentry as well.

I was a hardcore sci-fi reader as a kid, and just accepted that there would be launch and reentry accidents, sooner or later. I forget which ones but those authors would refer in retrospect in some fantasy future to this or that accident, just milestones on the way to the stars. 
The launch pad fire with Apollo was a bummer, too.  Not even the Little Joe setup would help them escape a fire IN the capsule. (it changed how the atmosphere is composed onboard, though.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 11:39:05 pm »

I was a hardcore sci-fi reader as a kid,

@Smokin Joe

I used to give subscriptions to Assimov's Science Fiction and to Analog as birthday presents to the children of friends on their 12th or 13th birthdays. Ok,only to the smart ones. Finally quit doing it when it occurred to me that none of the kids ever thanked me or asked me any questions or mentioned any of the stories or science facts in the mags. Kids today don't seen to read,and if it's not battery-powered and beeps,they have no interest in it. One mother admitted both of her kids were just throwing them away.

BUT....,if you know a bright kid,it may be one of the best gifts you can give them. Short stories for short attention spans,but VERY intelligent and well-written short stories. They kind that make you think.

Now I get my own on the tablet I bought from Amazon. Still kinda miss the paper ones,though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:39:59 pm by sneakypete »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 12:00:05 am »

@Smokin Joe

I used to give subscriptions to Assimov's Science Fiction and to Analog as birthday presents to the children of friends on their 12th or 13th birthdays. Ok,only to the smart ones. Finally quit doing it when it occurred to me that none of the kids ever thanked me or asked me any questions or mentioned any of the stories or science facts in the mags. Kids today don't seen to read,and if it's not battery-powered and beeps,they have no interest in it. One mother admitted both of her kids were just throwing them away.

BUT....,if you know a bright kid,it may be one of the best gifts you can give them. Short stories for short attention spans,but VERY intelligent and well-written short stories. They kind that make you think.

Now I get my own on the tablet I bought from Amazon. Still kinda miss the paper ones,though.
I read that as a kid, and had a cousin who would pass hers on to me. Tablets just don't have the feel (or smell) of an old book, not to mention the odds and ends you find tucked in between the pages.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 02:08:11 am »
I read that as a kid, and had a cousin who would pass hers on to me. Tablets just don't have the feel (or smell) of an old book, not to mention the odds and ends you find tucked in between the pages.

@Smokin Joe

I know,but on the plus side,you don't really care if someone steals it or it gets lost. I get REALLY steamed if I can't find one of my favorite books.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:52 am »
I recalled Apollo, fire on the pad, and Columbia breaking up on reentry as well.

I was a hardcore sci-fi reader as a kid, and just accepted that there would be launch and reentry accidents, sooner or later. I forget which ones but those authors would refer in retrospect in some fantasy future to this or that accident, just milestones on the way to the stars. 
The launch pad fire with Apollo was a bummer, too.  Not even the Little Joe setup would help them escape a fire IN the capsule. (it changed how the atmosphere is composed onboard, though.)

Actually the atmosphere stayed at pure O2 at 5 psia during the mission, but was standard atmosphere during tests.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:28:25 am »
Actually the atmosphere stayed at pure O2 at 5 psia during the mission, but was standard atmosphere during tests.
I stand corrected, thanks!

C S Lewis