Author Topic: 4 narratives the GOP must hammer home if they can prevent witnesses from testifying  (Read 183 times)

Online corbe

4 narratives the GOP must hammer home if they can prevent witnesses from testifying

If Republicans can successfully block witnesses and move straight to acquittal, they'll need to be ready. Democrats will pounce. The media will pounce. This is what they need to say going forward.

by JD Rucker  January 29, 2020

It seems possible, even probable, that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will get 49 members of his caucus to join him in blocking witness testimony in the impeachment trial and moving to an up-or-down vote on Friday. I believe this may be a mistake from an election optics perspective; Democrats will use this against every Republican running for reelection, including President Trump.

With that said, it’s the right move to acquit now. Or, to be more accurate, it’s the righteous move because the President’s actions and the Articles of Impeachment filed against him were not sufficient grounds for removal. Even most Democrats on Capitol Hill know this, but their desire to hurt their counterparts politically superseded an lingering feelings of fair play or adherence to the Constitution.

Below are four narratives they must hammer home from the beginning and throughout election season whenever the topic of impeachment comes up, but first, let’s explore potential narratives they may be inclined to use but should avoid at all costs.

Their rationale for blocking witnesses must NOT be:

“House Democrats didn’t make their case.”

<..snip..>

https://noqreport.com/2020/01/29/4-narratives-the-gop-must-hammer-home-if-they-can-prevent-witnesses-from-testifying/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
I totally disagree with 2 points - the dems did not make a case or make a bona fide effort to call witnesses other than the usual anti-Trump suspects.

Prior impeachments were the result of thorough independent investigations - House dems should have sought one in this case, but they figured it would be another Mueller and make it harder to impeach than if they staged their own where they controlled the process (complete with selective leaks) and the outcome. Given that, they had to at least make a show of being equally thorough before pulling the trigger. They barely tried, their flimsy excuse being the "extreme urgency" of removing Trump, which they then immediately debunked by refusing to send the articles. They made no pretense whatsoever that it was anything more than a continuation of the hyper-partisan witch hunt that was in full swing long before the Ukraine incident. They told us the impeachment articles themselves were airtight. Did they really expect the Senate to pick up the ball and do their work for them? Of course not, and that proves it was all a sham - staining Trump with a flimsy impeachment was the only real goal.

How is it a mistake for repubs to point out the obvious? Of course the media will spin whatever they say (or don't say) against them - I'd rather tell it like it is and let them try to spin it than just let them fabricate their own narrative.

---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA