Author Topic: What does "Kernal Security Failure" mean?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What does "Kernal Security Failure" mean?
« on: January 25, 2020, 12:16:51 am »
I am now getting that message a couple of times a week on my desktop,and each time it happens my computer shuts down and it takes a long time for it to reboot.

I run Zone Alarm and System Mechanic,and neither shows anything out of order after it automatically reboots.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline darroll

Re: What does "Kernal Security Failure" mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 12:33:33 am »
The kernal is the main OS.
You might have to reload your system to kick it out. Or reset your cmos. A jumper on your motherboard.
Or maybe a computer shop?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 12:34:47 am »
Your corn is broken?

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 01:12:43 am »
Common sense would suggest that a kernel security failure is worse than a major security failure but not as bad as a general security failure?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 01:48:40 am »
The kernal is the main OS.
You might have to reload your system to kick it out. Or reset your cmos. A jumper on your motherboard.
Or maybe a computer shop?

@darroll

I have no idea what any of that means,or how to do it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 01:49:59 am »
I am now getting that message a couple of times a week on my desktop,and each time it happens my computer shuts down and it takes a long time for it to reboot.

I run Zone Alarm and System Mechanic,and neither shows anything out of order after it automatically reboots.

@sneakypete

Nothing to do with a virus, or at least suspicion of a virus is an ancillary issue...

Kernel Security Check failure is usually going to be corrupt windows files... With a fair likelihood that there is an imminent hard drive failure, if it is generated by any hardware issue.

It still could be other software issues, like an outdated driver, or a service or program running in the background that is causing conflict, or hardware issues like faulty RAM or vid causing a kernel stop...

But on a reasonably new box, in fair condition, I would look hard at the hard drive, and resident programs... otherwise assume windows corruption.

As much trouble as you have been having, I would check hardware, and if no cause, rub that puppy off and reinstall.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 01:51:29 am »
@sneakypete

Back up your crap, and keep it backed up often till resolved.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 01:53:54 am »
@sneakypete

Nothing to do with a virus, or at least suspicion of a virus is an ancillary issue...

Kernel Security Check failure is usually going to be corrupt windows files... With a fair likelihood that there is an imminent hard drive failure, if it is generated by any hardware issue.

It still could be other software issues, like an outdated driver, or a service or program running in the background that is causing conflict, or hardware issues like faulty RAM or vid causing a kernel stop...

But on a reasonably new box, in fair condition, I would look hard at the hard drive, and resident programs... otherwise assume windows corruption.

As much trouble as you have been having, I would check hardware, and if no cause, rub that puppy off and reinstall.

@roamer_1

I don't know how to check the hardware,and I am assuming "rub that puppy off and reinstall" means format the HDD and reinstall Windows. The problem with that is I don't have a installation disc.

I do thank you for the hard drive tip,though. I will update my removable backup HHD tonight to make sure I have all my personal files in case the current HHD dies.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 02:24:20 am »
Have you ever made a recovery drive for the system? Does the case have a sticker on it somewhere with a Windows license key? It might also be worth increasing your allocation of disk space for restore points, creating a new one, then reverting to an older one to see if that helps.

Any kind of reinstall, recovery or restore may lose recently installed software and updates...

And if you decide to keep your new laptop, make a recovery drive for it ASAP - try it with a 16GB flash drive but it might take a 32GB drive. I make new ones before and after every major Win update.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 02:26:37 am »
@roamer_1

I don't know how to check the hardware,and I am assuming "rub that puppy off and reinstall" means format the HDD and reinstall Windows. The problem with that is I don't have a installation disc.

I do thank you for the hard drive tip,though. I will update my removable backup HHD tonight to make sure I have all my personal files in case the current HHD dies.

@sneakypete
I don't feel comfortable telling you to check hardware... Anything I could recommend would be tough sledding over a forum, and would be hard to relate results. Hours.

Same with having you send me the logs... Take it to a tech. I hope you know a good ol boy down there that can do you right.

A hardware check by me is 50 bucks, and includes whole system diagnosis - Hardware and software.
Once I know what's wrong, we'd figger out the cost to go forward, variables defined... Something like that is what you should expect, I reckon.

You CAN do a full reset of windows... You will lose your settings back to default, you will likely have to reload all your programs... But windows will be reinstalled pristine and your user/data should be ok.
I can surely tell you how to do that.

But dude, HEAR ME: If it is a hardware issue, you will do it all again again.
And there is risk that it won't have all the drivers back, which may leave you stranded without a wifi/network connection to get back to me about it.

That is your risk/decision. Otherwise, a tech is what you need right now.

Offline darroll

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »
@darroll

I have no idea what any of that means,or how to do it.
Take the case off of your computer.
Look for a jumper that says cmos (a little black thing that shorts two pins)
Take it off and put it back covering the pin that was not shorted.
Count to ten and put the little black thing the way it was when you started.

Offline darroll

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 06:26:59 pm »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cmos+jumper&view=detail&mid=62BD2EF567B0139BDF2B62BD2EF567B0139BDF2B&FORM=VIRE If you are still having a problem with this procedure. The kids are pretty sharp with computers.
All the cmos does is tell the kernal that I'm a computer and I have a hard drive, monitor etc. Not rocket science..
Good luck
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:06:36 pm by darroll »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 01:49:27 am »
@sneakypete

[/quote]

@roamer_1

I have no idea how that is defined,but this desktop is a little over 3  years old.

I used a 32 GB memory stick this afternoon to copy all my personal files. If the hdd strokes out now,all I will lose is Windows 10 stuff,and that can easily be replaced.

I have another on order that I will use to store email addresses,and sometimes emails,from people I email a lot.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:13 am »
Have you ever made a recovery drive for the system? Does the case have a sticker on it somewhere with a Windows license key? It might also be worth increasing your allocation of disk space for restore points, creating a new one, then reverting to an older one to see if that helps.

Any kind of reinstall, recovery or restore may lose recently installed software and updates...

And if you decide to keep your new laptop, make a recovery drive for it ASAP - try it with a 16GB flash drive but it might take a 32GB drive. I make new ones before and after every major Win update.

@Snarknado

Thanks for the reminder. I now have two 32GB memory sticks on order,and 1 will be dedicated to my new laptop.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 01:59:50 am »
If you are a farmer, it means someone be stealin' your corn.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 02:03:25 am »
If you are a farmer, it means someone be stealin' your corn.

@Free Vulcan

Yeah,that makes sense.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 02:23:28 am »

I have no idea how that is defined,but this desktop is a little over 3  years old.

@sneakypete
That's 'reasonably new' ... Also on the edge of where consumer grade drives start to have problems, generally. Drives are a craps-shoot anymore unless they're 7200rpm commercial grade drives, like Western Digital Black...

If you are needing HDD replacement, tell your tech you want:

Your system on a smallish M2 or SATA SSD flash style drive - Sooper fast access. Makes a difference... I like a 256g for plenty of room for a system. Any reasonable reliable brand is fine (WD. Crucial, etc), 6 of 1, half dozen of the other... A 256g is probably around 50 bucks.

AND a good commercial drive for storage... A 1tb drive in WD Black is under 100 bucks

I know that's more dough... and if you can't handle it, maybe do the SSD and live inside 256/512g till you can afford a storage drive, or just forget the SSD and use a serious commercial 7200rpm drive. And NO, no hybrid drives. Though if all you have fits on 2 32g thumbs, you may well be alright in just an SSD.

I used a 32 GB memory stick this afternoon to copy all my personal files. If the hdd strokes out now,all I will lose is Windows 10 stuff,and that can easily be replaced.

I have another on order that I will use to store email addresses,and sometimes emails,from people I email a lot.

Your email may well be stored online if you use Gmail, Outlook (hotmail, live), or Yahoo, etc... You may not have to back it up...

Hope it gets sorted - Let me know if I can help...  :beer:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:26:25 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 09:35:18 am »
@sneakypete
That's 'reasonably new' ... Also on the edge of where consumer grade drives start to have problems, generally. Drives are a craps-shoot anymore unless they're 7200rpm commercial grade drives, like Western Digital Black...

If you are needing HDD replacement, tell your tech you want:

Your system on a smallish M2 or SATA SSD flash style drive - Sooper fast access. Makes a difference... I like a 256g for plenty of room for a system. Any reasonable reliable brand is fine (WD. Crucial, etc), 6 of 1, half dozen of the other... A 256g is probably around 50 bucks.

@roamer_1

I was planning on just taking the HHD out of one of my dead ones and using that,but at 50 bucks a new one is so cheap it's just not worth the effort to use a old,slow,small one.

AND a good commercial drive for storage... A 1tb drive in WD Black is under 100 bucks

I don't really save all that much,and was planning on using memory sticks.

I know that's more dough... and if you can't handle it, maybe do the SSD and live inside 256/512g till you can afford a storage drive, or just forget the SSD and use a serious commercial 7200rpm drive.

In today's economy,anything less than 100 bucks is "nothing money". Costs half that much to fill up the gas tank in my pu.

And NO, no hybrid drives.

What is a hybrid drive? Don't think I have even heard of one.

UPDATE: As I was editing,it occurred to me I may have heard of hybrid drives on Star Trek or Star Wars,but IIRC,that was in reference to the space stations motive power.  I am guessing computers don't need that kind of power.

Though if all you have fits on 2 32g thumbs, you may well be alright in just an SSD.

That's my plan.

Your email may well be stored online if you use Gmail, Outlook (hotmail, live), or Yahoo, etc... You may not have to back it up...

I rarely save any emails unless they have some sort of technical information in them related to one of my antique car projects.

Hope it gets sorted - Let me know if I can help...  :beer:

Thanks,the current plan is to keep using this one for stuff like this until it dies,and then use my old backup laptop until that dies. When it does,I will just switch to one of those cheapie 200 buck 13 inch tablets for stuff like this and use my new laptop for playing games. I don't know much about computers anymore,but I see no real need for a smoking fast nuclear-powered computer for message board stuff.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:43:40 am by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 06:44:35 am »
I was planning on just taking the HHD out of one of my dead ones and using that,but at 50 bucks a new one is so cheap it's just not worth the effort to use a old,slow,small one.

I don't really save all that much,and was planning on using memory sticks.

In today's economy,anything less than 100 bucks is "nothing money". Costs half that much to fill up the gas tank in my pu.

@sneakypete

YES, roughly, it is not worth using an old drive, in two respects:

First, storage is stupid cheap these days... Speaking of conventional drives, in real terms (omitting the cheezy residential price-point drives), solid serious storage is crazy cheap... A WD Black 1T drive - A terrabyte of room, for roughly 100 bucks... That is a HUGE landscape if you need that kind of thing... But you do not seem to need so much storage.... If you had a thing for movies, and kept a library thereof, well, then a 1t drive might feel cramped. For any type of vid, you need buckets of storage.

I am a data freak. Between my DEV and music, and vid libraries, and in the nature of my business, retrieving data for others (and keeping it around for a month or so) I need some pretty swingin storage. But everyone is different, and you need to fit it to YOU.

Secondly, SPEED. SSD hard drives, built basically the same as a thumb, or as RAM, have eyebrow-lifting performance. SSD drives basically operate at the same speed as RAM does. Super fast. As a gamer, where performance matters, an SSD drive (or an M2, same thing, different form factor) would probably be very desirable - Even as much as GPU... So maybe, considering gaming, and your lack of need for big storage, maybe you should focus on as big an SSD drive as you can stand, bang-for-buck, and live in that... A 512g, still probably under 100 bucks, might be a thing.

But with that comes a caution: SSDs, like thumbs, are durable, and fast, but they have one serious flaw: When they leave, they leave big-time. And they leave now.  Poof! Done. Recovery is not likely. So backups become critical.

In your case, with a desktop and a laptop, I would highly consider how to back up between them, each roughly as capable as the other, so that if one fails, the other can suffice, immediately. Programs the same, and with backup, data the same. At the very least, each should back up to the other... That may be a good cause for one of those old drives you have - Hang it as a secondary in the desktop as a primary backup point that can be automated over network...

What is a hybrid drive? Don't think I have even heard of one.

It is kinda a combo between SSD and conventional tech in one drive... The ssd part serves kinda like a monster fat high-speed cache talking to the 'real' drive part... The idea is big storage that functions at the speed of SSD, but they really don't work very well, and have a high failure rate.

I rarely save any emails unless they have some sort of technical information in them related to one of my antique car projects.

My point was that if you have an on-line account, one you access through your browser, you don;t need to back it up, as it really is not 'in' your machine. It's out there, online. If you use an email client, to access say, an email account provided by your internet provider, then that would need to be backed up.

Thanks,the current plan is to keep using this one for stuff like this until it dies,and then use my old backup laptop until that dies. When it does,I will just switch to one of those cheapie 200 buck 13 inch tablets for stuff like this and use my new laptop for playing games. I don't know much about computers anymore,but I see no real need for a smoking fast nuclear-powered computer for message board stuff.

That's right. But like I said above, it would perhaps be prudent to look at them as a primary and secondary, capable of doing the same thing, and backing between the two with that in mind.

My laptop is my main access... I like the portability of it, operating all my machines from it from my LazyBoy or from out on the porch if I want to... But my main-whip desktop is an exact replica (for all intents and purposes) of this machine, to include data. If this laptop sh*ts the bed, other than being stuck at the desk, I will operate seamlessly, with no loss of time or data.

But all of this is still speculation... It could be that your desktop is fine, and all that's wrong is that Windows sh*t the bed. All this HDD talk is dependent upon the HDD being bad, which is not yet a fact... Let's see what that is first. But IF it is so, it will be time to think it out a bit.  Even with reoading windows... It is a perfect opportunity to buy an SSD system drive and load Windows on there instead, and use the current drive as storage... If that box ain't running from an SSD now, you will see a very noticeable performance increase - With a reasonable SSD for a system drive being around 50 bucks (256g), the bang for buck is worth it.

So get the diags done, so you know what is wrong, and then forge the path forward, I think.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 10:55:00 am »
Thanks. Sounds like good advise,and I will bookmark this thread and keep it for the time when I am able to think again. Getting better,but not "there" yet.