Author Topic: MESSIAH -- Netflix [plus other favorites]  (Read 2806 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: MESSIAH -- Netflix
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2020, 01:31:18 am »
Justified is probably my all time favorite, @sneakypete

@roamer_1

That's a surprise. I had you stereotyped into being a huge Deadwood fan. Deadwood was one of the first series I started watching that had my jaw dropping.

Give Homeland a watch. Season 1 is free now on Amazon Prime,and may be free other places.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 01:40:20 am »
@Gefn

BTW,ever watch Deadwood,Homeland,or Justified? It just doesn't get any gooder.

I loved Banshee!   Think it was on Showtime or Cinemax.   

Incredible fight scenes and the most sensual femme fatale in the character "Rebecca", a girl who sheds her Amish garb and life on weekends, LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: MESSIAH -- Netflix [plus other favorites]
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 01:44:44 am »
Right now, I'm revisiting TAKEN, the 2-season 'Made for TV' version of Liam Neeson's movie trilogy.

Like I'm seeing it for the 1st time, since it's been a couple of years, etc..

Regarding Justified....there was nothing better!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2020, 02:00:59 am »
@roamer_1

That's a surprise. I had you stereotyped into being a huge Deadwood fan. Deadwood was one of the first series I started watching that had my jaw dropping.

Give Homeland a watch. Season 1 is free now on Amazon Prime,and may be free other places.

Oh I am a big fan of Deadwood, @sneakypete ... I think it was Deadwood that got me into Justified.... Looking for other work by Olyphant... Great actor, great role in both... And what's the other? Hell on Wheels?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2020, 02:13:05 am »
Oh I am a big fan of Deadwood, @sneakypete ... I think it was Deadwood that got me into Justified.... Looking for other work by Olyphant... Great actor, great role in both... And what's the other? Hell on Wheels?

@roamer_1

Oh,yeah! EXCELLENT series. The good bad news is there is so much 1st rate entertainment out there today that's it hard to remember them all.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2020, 02:16:12 am »
@roamer_1

Oh,yeah! EXCELLENT series. The good bad news is there is so much 1st rate entertainment out there today that's it hard to remember them all.

Of them, Justified is my favorite... A bit, um... nostalgic for me.   happy77

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2020, 02:20:14 am »
Of them, Justified is my favorite... A bit, um... nostalgic for me.   happy77

How so?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2020, 02:21:41 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2020, 02:23:27 am »
How so?

@DCPatriot
I may have mentioned my brilliantly misspent yoot... That show pretty accurately portrays the seedy side of 'country', as I lived it... Not that violent, but that.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 01:05:01 am »
Adding my 2 cents (late as usual).

A couple of days ago, my sore knee kept me off my feet and glued to my living room recliner.  So I pulled up a Netflix series called "The Last Czars. "  Actually, it was only about one czar, Nicholas II, who was overthrown and killed (along with his family) by the Bolsheviks in 1917.   Thought it was quite good.  It was an interesting blend of documentary and drama with historians describing the events and each event recreated by various actors (none of whom I recognized).  Unlike a lot of dramas, where history is distorted for dramatic effect, The Last Czars stuck closely to the real story of the czar's ill-fated reign, eventual downfall and the slaughter of him and his family.   

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2020, 02:05:07 am »
Adding my 2 cents (late as usual).

A couple of days ago, my sore knee kept me off my feet and glued to my living room recliner.  So I pulled up a Netflix series called "The Last Czars. "  Actually, it was only about one czar, Nicholas II, who was overthrown and killed (along with his family) by the Bolsheviks in 1917.   Thought it was quite good.  It was an interesting blend of documentary and drama with historians describing the events and each event recreated by various actors (none of whom I recognized).  Unlike a lot of dramas, where history is distorted for dramatic effect, The Last Czars stuck closely to the real story of the czar's ill-fated reign, eventual downfall and the slaughter of him and his family.   

@Applewood

Another excellent series making a rerun is MI-5,produced by the BBC. THE best damn series about espionage and intelligence that I have ever seen,and no car chases or gunfights in the street. Or very few,anyhow.

NOBODY does this sort of thing like the Brits. They take it seriously,and hire actors and actors by hiring the best ones they can afford that are available. Their age and physical appearance is secondary to their ability to be believable. Yeah,there IS some eyecandy for both men and women,but it's incindental.

Also,NOBODY can be assumed to not be killed/kidnapped/dissapear/crippled for life  in ANY episode,no matter how popular that character is. It is a real "Who done it,and who was it done to" show.

Season 1 of 10 or 11 is airing for free now if you have Amazon Prime,and all seasons are airing elsewhere if you want to binge watch,like me. I watched about half of the first season when it was new,and was so desperate to see what happens that I couldn't wait,and bought the boxed set of DVD's before the 1st season ended.

Luther is another EXCELLENT police series on BBC and other places. IIRC,there are maybe 5 seasons. Luther is a big,strong black detective  (used to be a heavyweight boxer in real life),but  he's not the one that will scare you. Can't/won't tell you who it is,either. You need to watch it and find out for yourselves.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2020, 03:28:16 am »
@sneakypete

Thank you for the recommendations.  I'm always on the lookout for series to binge watch when my arthritis acts up or it's too dang cold to go out anywhere. 

The Brits do all forms of tv very well -- certainly better than the garbage the US industry puts out these days.  I enjoy a number of old comedies.  Just found the Black Adder series on Amazon.   Particularly funny if you know anything about British history, but even if you don't, it's hilarious.  The series goes back to the 1980s, I think, but even after all these years, it still holds up.  And it's free if you have Prime. 

I keep saying when my tv dies, I'm not going to replace it.  There is so much good stuff available online.  I can sit in my recliner with my laptop on my lap, a mug of hot tea on the table next to the chair and be in hog heaven.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2020, 04:11:00 am »
@sneakypete

Thank you for the recommendations.  I'm always on the lookout for series to binge watch when my arthritis acts up or it's too dang cold to go out anywhere. 

The Brits do all forms of tv very well --

@Applewood

Check out "Mrs. Brown's Boys" on Brit-Box.  Slap-stick comedy,and crude on top of it. All 7 seasons are now on Brit-Box. I only watched the 1st episode of Season 1 so far,but a time or two it had me laughing so hard I had trouble catching my breath.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2020, 04:17:38 am »
@sneakypete

The Brits do all forms of tv very well -- certainly better than the garbage the US industry puts out these days.  I enjoy a number of old comedies.  Just found the Black Adder series on Amazon.   Particularly funny if you know anything about British history, but even if you don't, it's hilarious.  The series goes back to the 1980s, I think, but even after all these years, it still holds up.  And it's free if you have Prime. 

I keep saying when my tv dies, I'm not going to replace it.  There is so much good stuff available online.  I can sit in my recliner with my laptop on my lap, a mug of hot tea on the table next to the chair and be in hog heaven.

Broadchurch and Happy Valley are two other British detective series that are well done.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 04:21:26 am »
Broadchurch and Happy Valley are two other British detective series that are well done.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912/

@DCPatriot

I watched Broadchurch a few years ago,and agree.

I now have Happy Valley on my "check out list". Thanks!

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2020, 04:30:31 am »
I could mention my favorite series that are on Netflix... but they would be anime series, and no one here is interested in that.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 07:24:40 pm »
@sneakypete
@DCPatriot

Thank you both for your suggestions.   There is still a lot of winter left, so I now have plenty of shows to binge on.   happy77

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2020, 07:37:11 pm »
@sneakypete
@DCPatriot

Thank you both for your suggestions.   There is still a lot of winter left, so I now have plenty of shows to binge on.   happy77

@Applewood

Let us know what you think after watching a couple of episodes.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2020, 08:45:13 pm »
@Applewood

I liked Blackadder when I saw it years ago. Amazon also hasFather Ted. That’s very good too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2020, 08:55:11 pm »
@Applewood

Let us know what you think after watching a couple of episodes.

Grrrrrrr..

Got to watch the first episode of Homeland, and that was the only one that was free.  Guess I'll just have to wait
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2020, 09:46:12 pm »
Grrrrrrr..

Got to watch the first episode of Homeland, and that was the only one that was free.  Guess I'll just have to wait

@catfish1957

DAMN! Sorry about that! I am a monthly subscriber to Showtime,and forgot about that because when I go there from amazon,it just hooks up automatically.

UPDATE:  I just checked,and you can get all 7 current seasons of Homeland on Hulu for $5.99 a month,plus a lot of other stuff worth watching,like all the episodes of Family Guy,South Park,etc,etc,etc. Plus,it's a monthly gig. No yearly contract.

Here is something you can try. Take a trial subscription which gives you free viewing for 7 days. You can easily watch all  of season 1 in 7 days,and then know if you like it or not. If you do like it,just subscribe for their $10.99 monthly fee,and binge it for a couple of months when you have the time,and watch the whole series. I have never seen a show about espionage and intelligence as smart and believable as Homeland,and for 30 bucks total you can watch the whole thing.

Or,as an alternative,go on ebay and look for the series boxed set and buy it used. Watch and enjoy it,and then sell it to someone else.

BTW,what did you think of the first episode?

BTW-2,the redheaded British guy that plays Sgt Brody also stars in the series Billions.

I also HIGHTY recommend MI-5,about British intelligence operating in England,and policing up mostly Muslim terrorists.

Neither series are "shootemus". Both are intelligent series about spying and subversion. Yeah,there is SOME shooting in both of them,but not much. People mostly think themselves out of trouble,and some get into trouble and die unexpectedly. Especially in MI-5.

Check your ROKU to see if you get MI-5 for free.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:38:01 pm by sneakypete »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2020, 09:46:28 pm »
If closed-caption isn't a concern... Wild District.  Season 2 is even better~!

This gritty Colombian drama returns for a second season, following a deadly guerrillero in post-Peace Treaty Colombia as he flees to the countryside and tries to start a new life in Bogotá. Season two will see JJ still working as a hitman while trying to assimilate into civilian life, and Daniela running for president while encountering some ethical challenges.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8105958/episodes

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:48:06 pm by DCPatriot »