Author Topic: Climate refugees can't be returned home, says landmark UN human rights ruling  (Read 463 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Guardian 1/20/2020

Experts say judgment is ‘tipping point’ that opens the door to climate crisis claims for protection

It is unlawful for governments to return people to countries where their lives might be threatened by the climate crisis, a landmark ruling by the United Nations human rights committee has found.

The judgment – which is the first of its kind – represents a legal “tipping point” and a moment that “opens the doorway” to future protection claims for people whose lives and wellbeing have been threatened due to global heating, experts say.

Tens of millions of people are expected to be displaced by global heating in the next decade.

The judgment relates to the case of Ioane Teitiota, a man from the Pacific nation of Kiribati, which is considered one of the countries most threatened by rising sea levels. He applied for protection in New Zealand in 2013, claiming his and his family’s lives were at risk.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/20/climate-refugees-cant-be-returned-home-says-landmark-un-human-rights-ruling

Offline skeeter

The UN is counting on people being too stupid to understand what an atoll is and how they are typically formed.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Unlawful?

How did these doofuses get their laws?

I know where we get ours, and they sure do not come from the UN
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The UN is counting on people being too stupid to understand what an atoll is and how they are typically formed.
Very true.

People stupid enough to emigrate to and live on what amounts to be a temporary landmass that cannot support the population?

What country wants them?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:45:35 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sumbodie wanna splain to me WHEN the UN got the authority to tell sovereign nations who they MUST accept as residents?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Can I move to anywhere from North Dakota except the North Slope, Greenland, Siberia, and Antarctica and claim "refugee status"? 

Just about everywhere else has nicer winters!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Interesting. The nation's main airport is Bonriki International Airport. Its runway is close to the ocean on the eastern end. But rather than a seawall - like would be needed if sea levels were rising - there is a highway/street between the runway and the ocean.

And yeah, the UN can go ...... . BTW, if the UN really believes in Global Worming, why hasn't it moved from its headquarters on the shore of the tidal East River?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thackney

If they are afraid to return to their homeland due to global warming, we should offer as an alternative the "soon to be tropics" of Antarctica.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Just one more UN "ruling" that deserves to be... IGNORED.