Author Topic: Impeachment Articles ‘Constitutionally Invalid’  (Read 368 times)

Offline Slide Rule

Impeachment Articles ‘Constitutionally Invalid’
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:45:16 pm »

President Donald Trump’s legal team argued Saturday that the impeachment articles sent to the Senate by House Democrats are “constitutionally invalid” and should be rejected.

The letter was authored and filed by Trump’s attorneys Jay Sekulow and Pat Cipollone in response to the Senate summons for the impeachment trial.

“The articles of impeachment are constitutionally invalid on their face,” the response read. “They fail to allege any crime or violation of law whatsoever let alone ‘high crimes and misdemeanors’ as required by the Constitution.”

The legal team released its blistering six-page response to the summons on Saturday evening.

“The articles of impeachment now before the Senate are an affront to the Constitution of the United States, our democrat institutions, and the American people,” the letter read.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/18/trump-legal-team-impeachment-articles-constitutionally-invalid/
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Impeachment Articles ‘Constitutionally Invalid’
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 01:06:30 pm »
 :2popcorn:

This should be interesting.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 01:23:50 pm »
I doubt Roberts would dismiss the case.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 01:28:34 pm »
I doubt Roberts would dismiss the case.
He's more likely to rewrite the articles so he can rule them okay.

Seems he's pulled that sort of thing before...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:55:41 pm »
He's more likely to rewrite the articles so he can rule them okay.

Seems he's pulled that sort of thing before...

Right. Even if he did, I believe it would still take a senate vote to agree or disagree.

Part of me wants a dismissal. Part of me wants a trial with the Biden's, Schiff, etc. put on the stand.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 02:13:55 pm »
The president's response is the proper one.  These articles are complete nonsense and should be dismissed with prejudice.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:18:37 pm »
The president's response is the proper one.  These articles are complete nonsense and should be dismissed with prejudice.

With the admonition to stop wasting the court's time.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 02:20:35 pm »
It may be playing with fire, but I figure the reason to let this run on has been to expose those who leak to the press, spies for the DNC, and the criminal acts of those who are supposed to be enforcing and upholding the law, rather than displaying partisan contempt for it and trying to bend it to their aims.

I think the effect, among thinking people, anyway, has been to amplify any contempt Americans have for the Communists among us, and the crooks in Congress and elsewhere in Government.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 02:28:10 pm »
It may be playing with fire, but I figure the reason to let this run on has been to expose those who leak to the press, spies for the DNC, and the criminal acts of those who are supposed to be enforcing and upholding the law, rather than displaying partisan contempt for it and trying to bend it to their aims.

I think the effect, among thinking people, anyway, has been to amplify any contempt Americans have for the Communists among us, and the crooks in Congress and elsewhere in Government.

:yowsa: I see that aspect but the president's team is still 100% correct in their response.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 02:30:28 pm »

Ir certainly worked with me.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 02:33:25 pm »
Ir certainly worked with me.

It is not possible for me to have any more contempt for those people @bigheadfred

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 02:34:33 pm »
It is not possible for me to have any more contempt for those people @bigheadfred
Don't say that. They'll take it as a challenge.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 02:37:19 pm »

I agree. In the thinking realm(s). There is still that last great act of defiance in the physical.