Author Topic: Hawley expects McConnell's final impeachment resolution to give White House defense ability to motio  (Read 152 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Hawley expects McConnell's final impeachment resolution to give White House defense ability to motion to dismiss

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) told Axios Saturday that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is expected to present a resolution that will allow President Trump's legal counsel to motion to immediately dismiss the impeachment charges during the Senate impeachment trial that starts, in earnest, Tuesday.

"I am familiar with the resolution as it stood a day or two ago," Hawley told the news source.

"My understanding is that the resolution will give the president's team the option to either move to judgment or to move to dismiss at a meaningful time," the junior senator continued.

Hawley also said that he would be "very, very surprised" if the final resolution didn't give Trump's lawyers that ability and that he might not vote for it.

Earlier this week, McConnell told reporters that "there is little or no sentiment in the Republican conference for a motion to dismiss. Our members feel that we have an obligation to listen to the arguments."

Regardless, Trump's defense team has signaled that it wants a quick Senate trial. According to Axios, GOP lawmakers have prepared for a time frame as short as two weeks...........

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/478950-hawley-would-be-very-very-surprised-if-mcconnells-final-resolution-doesnt
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.