Author Topic: Report: Model sailor lost situational awareness before fatal propeller mishap  (Read 189 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Navy Times by Geoff Ziezulewicz 1/17/2020

Considered a model sailor by shipmates on the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush, a junior airman died in 2018 after he lost situational awareness and was struck by the spinning propeller of an E-2 Hawkeye, according to a command investigation obtained by Navy Times.

The probe into the Sept. 17, 2018, death of 21-year-old Aviation Boatswain’s Mate (Handling) Airman Apprentice Joseph Min Naglak offers a sobering reminder of the dangers faced daily by deck crews.

“I have replayed the events in my head to see where we, as a team, could have avoided this tragic accident,” said one sailor whose name is redacted in the report. “The deck was not packed. Crews were not moving excessively fast. Leadership, at all levels, had emphasized safety.”

More: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/01/16/report-model-sailor-lost-situational-awareness-before-fatal-propeller-mishap/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I dunno about losing awareness before he walked into the spinning propellers,but he certainly lose it when he did walk into them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!