Author Topic: Nazi official who risked life to save hundreds of Jews posthumously recognized  (Read 997 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'He grabbed me and pulled me off the transport line'
Nazi official who risked life to save hundreds of Jews posthumously recognized

40 years after his death, Helmut Kleinicke, who kept mum about sheltering and helping Jewish laborers avoid deportation to death camps, designated as Righteous Among the Nations

By Yaakov Schwartz

Helmut Kleinicke, center, used his position during the war to save what's estimated to be hundreds of Jews. (Juta Scheffzek/ Jewish Welfare Board of Germany)

BERLIN, Germany – Grasping the dais for support, 95-year-old Holocaust survivor Josef Konigsberg broke into tears. He is the only living person in Germany able to recount firsthand the bravery of Helmut Kleinicke, who was posthumously awarded the designation of Righteous Among the Nations at the Israeli Embassy in Berlin on January 14.

“This is one of the most beautiful days of my life,” Konigsberg said, locking eyes with Kleinicke’s daughter, Juta Scheffzek, who was seated not far from him. “Thank you, thank you.”

Read more at: https://www.timesofisrael.com/nazi-official-who-risked-life-to-save-hundreds-of-jews-posthumously-recognized/

There are a number of stories of people who helped the persecuted in World War II, this is the first time, I saw that an actual "Nazi" did.

Sadly, I guess, he could save some but not all.

Offline berdie

It makes me feel better that some people rejected the ideology. It was risky. I don't cry, at movies especially but I start bawling at the beginning of Schindler's List and don't stop until the end.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It makes me feel better that some people rejected the ideology. It was risky. I don't cry, at movies especially but I start bawling at the beginning of Schindler's List and don't stop until the end.
Schindler's List is a powerful movie.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis