Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79641 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #2625 on: March 20, 2020, 02:27:20 am »
Definitely not a good situation  -- and doesn't make any sense at all as to why the wipes would be locked up?  She needs to report what's going on to someone outside of her hospital -- maybe the state public health agency or department of health?  Anonymously, of course.

My husband, who was a hospital administrator for more than 40 years is now texting her with advice.

These idiots are putting our family at great risk, and something needs to be done.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2626 on: March 20, 2020, 02:28:44 am »
Sports figures are ones we all know, I don't see why we need to censor the news, no one is forced to participate here.

The more we come to terms with whatever this, exploring all facets, the quicker we will be out of this.

This is real bad here but we are suppose to shut down information that might be pertinent to our own lives and the lives of our loved ones and friends?  This is getting tiring.

This guy has written that he's an epidemiologist, oh, it's twitter, I suppose we can always find something.

Eric Feigl-Ding@DrEricDing
Warning sign
Early warning signs: NYC Health dept’s surveillance of “influenza like illness” symptoms. The current peak is now almost DOUBLE past flu seasons. #COVID19 is hitting NYC hard now for sure.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1240641247724941314

RT by Jennifer Zeng,  for me at least, I'll do a lot better knowing what's out there rather than not knowing what is. Unbelievable.

You know, this website:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I believe was called leftist by someone.  A website, that's probably useful at a minimum. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2627 on: March 20, 2020, 02:31:22 am »
Thank you for continuing to give us information, @TomSea .

Information IS power.

And you are right.  NO one is being forced to participate on this thread.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2628 on: March 20, 2020, 02:32:39 am »
It's the other post that doesn't make sense to me.  That post and the hundreds of others just like it that sensationalize this whole situation.   We hear that celebrities like Kevin Durant or Tom Hanks are infected. or in this case two unnamed Lakers, as if just the fact that they play for the Lakers is supposed to make this such important news. 

But here's what we don't hear.  We don't hear about how Tom Hanks or Kevin Durant are living life on life's terms as they move towards recovery.  Is Tom Hanks lying in some private-room hospital bed clutching at death while on a ventilator?  Or is he kicking back playing X-Box and ordering Thai takeout food?  It would be nice to hear some positive stories for a change instead of this incessant onslaught of negativity.

So yes, anyone testing negative for this virus is good news.   And I would much rather hear that, even if it was some celebrities that got access to scarce test resources because of their celebrity status.  For me, it is a choice.  You may find my comment insensitive.  But I will not kowtow to fear.  We are going to beat this despite the bombardment of bad news that is being posted on this board by a select few.  As Andy Dufresne once said, "Either get busy living, or get busy dying".  I choose life.

So to hell with all this "oh no, two Lakers test positive", or "oh no, 42,000 people in Italy died in the last 10 minutes", or "oh no, someone who's sick with the virus took Advil".  Just asking for something positive, which a sizeable number of posters here have been doing.  So cut us a break.

Death rate in this country remains low.  Over 80% of those infected have no symptoms or symptoms that are very minor.  Drugs that have been around a long time are proving effective at fighting this.  And infection transmissions are ceasing in the point of origin.  Let's meditate on these things.  Stop destroying Hope.   

Well, all I can say is, tune out what you don't want to hear and read, but keep in mind that education and information are empowering and to ignore this situation isn't going to make it go away. Perhaps you live in a very remote area and so the possibility of you or your loved ones becoming infected is very low.  Perhaps you're under the age of 60 and/or don't have any underlying medical conditions. Some of us aren't that fortunate and we need to stay informed so we can protect ourselves as best we can.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2629 on: March 20, 2020, 02:36:23 am »
I'm not sure why it's so important to you to ignore this news, but it clearly is.

Let me just say this......... information doesn't destroy hope any more than denying and fighting it restores hope.

The situation exists. It is not good.  It has not happened before.  It is ever changing and evolving, and it's good to find out what's really happening, and not feel the need to counter every bit of bad news you don't like with some sarcastic rebuttal (some of which make NO sense).

If you don't want to hear that two Lakers tested positive, then don't come back to this thread, or put TomSea on Ignore, or do what it takes to get yourself out of this funk you're in.

The rest of us DO want information and can filter out the things that are trivial.

If you can't, just walk away.

But before you do, know that GOD is in CONTROL whether you know what's going on or choose to ignore it.
Would God want the shelves cleared at stores in panic because all the news is negative? Would He want people fighting over toilet paper? Really.

Many of us have been trying to provide some perspective, enumerate the factors which cause risk of a severe infection, and a bad outcome (mortality).

You have casually brushed that aside to pursue panic.
North Dakota: now 19 cases, one hospitalized, zero deaths, 654 of the 673 tested tested negative (97%).
Limited to four counties (of 53) in the State.

Those most at risk have one or more of the following preexisting Medical Conditions (per results in Italy)

High Blood Pressure
Heart Disease
Diabetes.
While Age may be a factor, those conditions tend to develop later in life.

Two drugs are being tested abroad with positive results, Chloroquine (an antimalarial) and Remdesivir (antiviral).

There is a light at the end of this tunnel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2630 on: March 20, 2020, 02:38:57 am »
Well, all I can say is, tune out what you don't want to hear and read, but keep in mind that education and information are empowering and to ignore this situation isn't going to make it go away. Perhaps you live in a very remote area and so the possibility of you or your loved ones becoming infected is very low.  Perhaps you're under the age of 60 and/or don't have any underlying medical conditions. Some of us aren't that fortunate and we need to stay informed so we can protect ourselves as best we can.

I just don't understand why anyone, regardless of personal risk, age or anything else, wants to remain uninformed.

This has baffled me with all the accusations of panic just because we're getting news stories.

I keep thinking, "Methinks thou dost protest too much."   :shrug:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2631 on: March 20, 2020, 02:41:16 am »
Would God want the shelves cleared at stores in panic because all the news is negative? Would He want people fighting over toilet paper? Really.

Many of us have been trying to provide some perspective, enumerate the factors which cause risk of a severe infection, and a bad outcome (mortality).

North Dakota: now 19 cases, one hospitalized, zero deaths, 654 of the 673 tested tested negative (97%).

Those most at risk have one or more of the following preexisting Medical Conditions (per results in Italy)

High Blood Pressure
Heart Disease
Diabetes.

Two drugs are being tested abroad with positive results, Chloroquine (an antimalarial) and Remdesivir (antiviral).

@Smokin Joe I swear to God it's almost like some people are hoping that light is a train.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DB

« Reply #2632 on: March 20, 2020, 02:43:56 am »
@Smokin Joe I swear to God it's almost like some people are hoping that light is a train.

Who around here is screaming we're all going to die?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2633 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:42 am »

Who?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2634 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:49 am »
Who around here is screaming we're all going to die?

Not here per se...just in general fueled by the fear mongering by the media.  Nothing wrong with being informed.  We just need to be smart and not fall for the panic inducing headlines.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2635 on: March 20, 2020, 02:49:44 am »

I live in suburban Atlanta with a population density of 2325 persons per square mile.  The first death in my State was 10 miles from my house.  I am pushing 60.  My own State Senator tested positive today.  I have no hand sanitizer at all.  And I have a wife and a 15-year-old son who depend on me to earn a living for many years to come.

So hearing about how two unnamed members of the Los Angeles Lakers tested positive provides me with zero information on how I can protect myself.  All it does is sensationalize the fear that has gripped this nation.  And that I do not need.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #2636 on: March 20, 2020, 02:52:42 am »
Not here per se...just in general fueled by the fear mongering by the media.  Nothing wrong with being informed.  We just need to be smart and not fall for the panic inducing headlines.

Okay. I agree. I mostly ignore the media short of what's posted here.

California is going nuts. But it's California...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2637 on: March 20, 2020, 02:53:36 am »

On this we are ALL in agreement!

Information is not panic. Information is power.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2638 on: March 20, 2020, 02:55:37 am »

High Blood Pressure
Heart Disease
Diabetes.

Thank you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #2639 on: March 20, 2020, 02:59:01 am »
Is this site getting bogged down or is my Internet connection going wonky?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2640 on: March 20, 2020, 02:59:44 am »
Is this site getting bogged down or is my Internet connection going wonky?

Yes.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2641 on: March 20, 2020, 03:04:05 am »
Okay. I agree. I mostly ignore the media short of what's posted here.

California is going nuts. But it's California...

The CA leftist leadership seem very eager to use their drastic new powers. I hope this doesnt turn out to be the cat slipping the bag.

Offline DB

« Reply #2642 on: March 20, 2020, 03:14:59 am »
The CA leftist leadership seem very eager to use their drastic new powers. I hope this doesnt turn out to be the cat slipping the bag.

They're talking many months of shut down. Are they insane?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2643 on: March 20, 2020, 03:19:25 am »
Here is something about the way these cases are being reported that I don't understand.  Let's look at Washington State.  The first case reported was on Jan 21, which was 58 days ago.  Since that date, there have been another 1375 cases.  Yet only one recovery has been reported, on Feb 20, four weeks ago.

Why have there been no other recoveries reported?  Of the remaining 1375 cases, are these patients either dead or still showing symptoms weeks later?

Italy is reporting over 4,400 recoveries.  Spain over 1,100.  Even France, with less cases than the US shows over 600 recoveries.  Yet the US shows only 8.  Why is that?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #2644 on: March 20, 2020, 03:27:31 am »
Here is something about the way these cases are being reported that I don't understand.  Let's look at Washington State.  The first case reported was on Jan 21, which was 58 days ago.  Since that date, there have been another 1375 cases.  Yet only one recovery has been reported, on Feb 20, four weeks ago.

Why have there been no other recoveries reported?  Of the remaining 1375 cases, are these patients either dead or still showing symptoms weeks later?

Italy is reporting over 4,400 recoveries.  Spain over 1,100.  Even France, with less cases than the US shows over 600 recoveries.  Yet the US shows only 8.  Why is that?

Good question and I don't know. It seems like that was a common issue of other numbers reported earlier on from other countries. Perhaps a number of weeks have to go by with clean test results to officially count as recovered. Or perhaps "recovered" is a low priority for the stat keepers and will be caught up later.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2645 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:36 am »
I live in suburban Atlanta with a population density of 2325 persons per square mile.  The first death in my State was 10 miles from my house.  I am pushing 60.  My own State Senator tested positive today.  I have no hand sanitizer at all.  And I have a wife and a 15-year-old son who depend on me to earn a living for many years to come.

So hearing about how two unnamed members of the Los Angeles Lakers tested positive provides me with zero information on how I can protect myself.  All it does is sensationalize the fear that has gripped this nation.  And that I do not need.

I'm sure you've heard the obvious; washing your hands, avoiding people who are sick, staying at home if you're sick, distancing from other people.  Use precautions just like you would with flu season -- that is all we know to do for right now.

Isopropryl alcohol is the ingredient that attacks the coronavirus - my husband carries a spray bottle of alcohol -- rough on the hands -- but it's something.

This may help:

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/many-common-household-cleaning-products-can-kill-coronavirus-if-you-ncna1160271
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2646 on: March 20, 2020, 03:56:04 am »
There are plenty of them, even here.
Even if it isn't a train, they are still trying to get everyone to run from it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2647 on: March 20, 2020, 04:00:58 am »
They're talking many months of shut down. Are they insane?
Disneyland will rust. Jus' saying. Shut down a drilling rig (pretty basic mechanicals, electricals, plumbing, some computer controls) and it can run into six figures to get it going again after 6 months. Shut down Disneyland, and it will likely cost millions. And that's just one thing...in the meantime, all those 'come play in California' ads are all over my cable channels... :shrug: **nononono*

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #2648 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:07 am »
There's actually some optimum speed for this to spread and near zero isn't it. It just extends the time it takes to run its course.

It is going to spread no matter what is done at this point. It is out in the wild being carried by people who don't even know they have it yet.

The optimum speed of spread is just below what the medical community can reasonably handle without triage. Hopefully that capability will increase as this goes on.

If people get seriously sick faster than they can be treated creating triage situations then it needs to be slowed down in that area. If the medical system is being underutilized the pandemic is being stretched out longer than it needs to be with no additional benefit. Just additional economic losses.

Comments?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:09:26 am by DB »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2649 on: March 20, 2020, 04:18:07 am »
There's actually some optimum speed for this to spread and near zero isn't it. It just extends the time it takes to run its course.

It is going to spread no matter what is done at this point. It is out in the wild being carried by people who don't even know they have it yet.

The optimum speed of spread is just below what the medical community can reasonably handle without triage. Hopefully that capability will increase as this goes on.

If people get seriously sick faster than they can be treated creating triage situations then it needs to be slowed down in that area. If the medical system is being underutilized the pandemic is being stretched out longer than it needs to be with no additional benefit. Just additional economic losses.

Comments?

Pretty much what I have been saying al along... immunize the herd. Or medicate the herd and continue to medicate the herd, until the bug becomes resistant, wherein the herd will infect anyhoo.

This quarantine ain't stopping a damn thing.