Author Topic: Cyberwarriors prove their skills, find jobs with video game  (Read 137 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Cyberwarriors prove their skills, find jobs with video game
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:41:10 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Chris Tomlinson Jan. 15, 2020

Explaining what you’re capable of doing in a resumé is hard, especially if you have technical skills developed in the military That’s why one start-up wants to use a video game to establish a job candidate’s bona fides.

Don’t scoff. This isn’t a sequel to “The Last Starfighter,” the cheesy 1984 movie where a high score on an arcade game lands a teenager in a real spacecraft in a distant galaxy. But San Antonio-based Cyber Warrior Network does give veterans with cyber experience the chance to prove themselves and continue to defend the country in civilian jobs.

I understand the need. When I served in the Army, my job title was “Electronic Warfare/Non-Morse Interceptor/Analyst.” But I didn’t do “electronic warfare” and intercepting Morse Code was a critical part of my top-secret job.

How can a civilian hiring manager make sense of that?

Cyberwarfare veterans experience a similar disconnect when they apply to civilian companies. Again, and again, veterans would complain to Nigel LeBlanc that they had these valuable skills, but between military jargon and security clearances, they couldn’t get hired.

LeBlanc, himself an Air Force veteran, was the veteran outreach coordinator for Maryland’s Department of Business and Economic Development. Part of his mission was connecting cyberwarriors with companies.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/tomlinson/article/Cyberwarriors-prove-their-skills-find-jobs-with-14975164.php