Author Topic: Biggest ‘black swan’ event for oil markets is disruption in the Strait of Hormuz, expert says  (Read 286 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Abigail Ng 1/9/2020

Biggest ‘black swan’ event for oil markets is disruption in the Strait of Hormuz, expert says

Key Points

•   â€œIf we were to see the temperature change and somebody start to disrupt this traffic, that would be the kind of event that would send the markets into the kind of panic we haven’t seen for 10 or 15 years,” Dave Ernsberger, S&P Global Platt’s global head of commodities pricing, said.

•   The Strait of Hormuz is a crucial channel that oil producers use to transport crude from the Middle East to markets around the world.

•   Analysts this week told CNBC that oil prices could shoot through $100 if Iran blocks the Strait of Hormuz.

The biggest black swan event in the oil market is a disruption to the most critical chokepoint in the Middle East, according to an analyst from S&P Global Platts.

“The market is extremely exposed to any disruption to vessel traffic in the Strait of Hormuz,” Dave Ernsberger, the firm’s global head of commodities pricing, told CNBC’s “Capital Connection” Thursday.

The Strait of Hormuz is a crucial channel that oil producers use to transport crude from the Middle East to markets around the world. It is 21 miles wide at its narrowest point and, in 2018, around 21 million barrels were transported via the waterway daily, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/09/disruption-in-the-strait-of-hormuz-is-a-black-swan-event-sp-global.html

Online DB

Iran knows if they take a serious try at it their navy will be gone in hours. Any substantial attempt to send missiles into the straight will end up getting Iran's territory bombed at the launch locations. They don't have a winning hand. Iran could have much of its military destroyed in short order without a single American boot stepping into Iran.

And if its military is seriously damaged they lose containment of their own people.

Again, they don't have a winning hand.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Iran knows if they take a serious try at it their navy will be gone in hours. Any substantial attempt to send missiles into the straight will end up getting Iran's territory bombed at the launch locations. They don't have a winning hand. Iran could have much of its military destroyed in short order without a single American boot stepping into Iran.

And if its military is seriously damaged they lose containment of their own people.

Again, they don't have a winning hand.

The Mullahs have long overstayed their welcome and are soon to be dealt with!  (I hope and pray!)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Sure, it may be a "black swan" event for much of the world.  But it would be committing complete economic suicide for Iran itself.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The only way this will work if Iran is successful in convincing its citizens they have a common enemy so its people will rally around the mullahs.

Risky move as it is not America whose ships will be targeted.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goatprairie

Iran sends ships to block the strait.
The U.S. says "get your ships out of the way...RIGHT NOW!!!"
Iran says, "no, you can't do anything."
The next sound you'd hear within a hundred mile radius would be every Iranian ship blown to smithereens along with most of their tactical support and military installations.

Offline Absalom

Some 24 centuries past, Iran's ancestors, asserting world dominance, confronted
the Greeks at Arbela; where the Persian Empire was destroyed in less than a day.
The present Iranians are more of the same.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:34:09 am by Absalom »