Author Topic: What If America Were to Take Out Iran’s Main Oil Refineries as the Mullahs Run Out of Moolah?  (Read 257 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

America is past its naïve young rabbi stage.

First, an emphatic opener: I am unalterably opposed to sending American servicemen and women into another intractable foreign adventure. I oppose American adventurism and regime change from outside. If people in an oppressed country are not prepared to overthrow their Pharaohs, we Americans have no business doing it for them. We are not the world’s policeman, and we have learned all too well that nothing is more foolhardy and reckless than sending our bravest men and women to risk life and limb to free people who do not desperately want to be free.

Stick with Me for Three Paragraphs — You’ll See Where I Am Going with This

When I first became a rabbi, I was like a kid in a candy shop. It was a dream come true. I arrived at my first congregation, and I wanted to help everyone. Over time I learned the hard way that some people cannot be helped by the congregational rabbi. They have to be sent to therapists. In fact, after enough experience I even got to the point that I could anticipate which people would not even improve with therapists. That is, I grew up, matured, learned from bitter experience. Today, thirty-eight years later, I am rabbi of a congregation that I founded more experience. Today, thirty-eight years later, I am rabbi of a congregation that I founded more than a decade ago with the support of some of the most uniquely wonderful people I ever have known. Because we were founded by amazing people, we have tended to attract mostly wonderful people. Every so often, though, someone has come in who, in short order, clearly was going to be trouble. With nearly four decades of experience behind me, when the “Trouble Detector” gauge starts moving from yellow to bright orange, that person is invited to leave our congregation and to join another one that specializes in people with social pathologies. I remain an idealist but no longer make the mistake of trying to save everyone.
https://spectator.org/what-if-america-were-to-take-out-irans-main-oil-refineries-as-the-mullahs-run-out-of-moolah/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In comment to his preamble, you can't save the world, and a significant portion of it not only does not want to be saved (revels in its victimhood, self-destruction, and craves any attention thus obtained), it refuses to be saved.
Similarly, countries will find their way to the form of government they are most accustomed to or desirous of, no matter what is done 'for' them. It has ever been thus.

One of life's lessons, and why I am far more willing to give a hand up than a hand out.
Here is opportunity. Use it.

Our national policy should reflect a similar attitude, imho: If people want a different government, they should lead their own way to it, even fight for it. We might send a little aid to them here and there if they do and we agree with what they are doing, if not there will be others to help them down other paths.
=================
As for bombing Iran's oil refineries, well, no, at least not now.

Here's why: Currently, unemployment is a problem there. The refineries would be fast-tracked back into service, and that would mean a boom in construction and repairs. Unemployment problem solved. Regime change comes from unrest, not a population with a paycheck. We keep the price of oil low by producing more, and their stock in trade is worth less. With no employment boom to quench the fires of unrest, that will continue to fester. Full bellies are happy bellies, even under despotism. Leave the refineries for the next government, they'll need the revenue to undo some of the mess the mullahs have made.

If it doesn't look like there will be a regime change, we can always send some cruise missiles in later.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

In comment to his preamble, you can't save the world, and a significant portion of it not only does not want to be saved (revels in its victimhood, self-destruction, and craves any attention thus obtained), it refuses to be saved.
Similarly, countries will find their way to the form of government they are most accustomed to or desirous of, no matter what is done 'for' them. It has ever been thus.

One of life's lessons, and why I am far more willing to give a hand up than a hand out.
Here is opportunity. Use it.

Our national policy should reflect a similar attitude, imho: If people want a different government, they should lead their own way to it, even fight for it. We might send a little aid to them here and there if they do and we agree with what they are doing, if not there will be others to help them down other paths.
=================
As for bombing Iran's oil refineries, well, no, at least not now.

Here's why: Currently, unemployment is a problem there. The refineries would be fast-tracked back into service, and that would mean a boom in construction and repairs. Unemployment problem solved. Regime change comes from unrest, not a population with a paycheck. We keep the price of oil low by producing more, and their stock in trade is worth less. With no employment boom to quench the fires of unrest, that will continue to fester. Full bellies are happy bellies, even under despotism. Leave the refineries for the next government, they'll need the revenue to undo some of the mess the mullahs have made.

If it doesn't look like there will be a regime change, we can always send some cruise missiles in later.
I agree with your assessment to bomb the refineries might not be the wisest move.

Regimes tend to select foreign entities to rally the citizenry in times of trouble, and bombing away will most certainly cause us to be the boogeyman.

There should be more subtle ways to achieve the same purposes, however.

I want those kept under wraps so the likes of Schiff and Pelosi do not hear about them......
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington