Author Topic: The Suleimani Killing and the New Order of Armed Conflict  (Read 243 times)

rangerrebew

The Suleimani Killing and the New Order of Armed Conflict
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:32:41 pm »

The Suleimani Killing and the New Order of Armed Conflict

Paul Bracken January 10, 2020

The killing of Iran’s Qassim Suleimani exposed the developing power of military technology and intelligence to pinpoint enemy leaders from afar in real time. We asked Paul Bracken, a professor of management and political science, what this dramatic capability means for modern warcraft. 

What does the Suleimani killing say about the expansion of the U.S. military’s ability to target specific individuals?

What we are seeing is the B2B digital revolution transforming military affairs the way it’s transforming business. Cloud computing, data analytics, AI, and cyber can now be used for new tasks that were unimaginable a few years ago. In this instance, it was tracking a leadership target in real time. It’s an apt business case study of technology leadership; i.e., of deciding the direction to take an organization, and using new technology to get there.

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/the-suleimani-killing-and-the-new-order-of-armed-conflict

rangerrebew

Re: The Suleimani Killing and the New Order of Armed Conflict
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:39:45 pm »
Iraq almost has to be complicit in the killing.  It seems a bit far fetched that a U.S. drone with a missile was floating around Baghdad and "happened" to spot a car with Suleimani in it and took it out.  No, I don't think even intelligence could have acted that quickly and some person sitting back in America shot without permission.  It just doesn't make any sense unless someone on the ground was providing vital information. :pondering:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: The Suleimani Killing and the New Order of Armed Conflict
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:38:04 pm »
Iraq almost has to be complicit in the killing.  It seems a bit far fetched that a U.S. drone with a missile was floating around Baghdad and "happened" to spot a car with Suleimani in it and took it out.  No, I don't think even intelligence could have acted that quickly and some person sitting back in America shot without permission.  It just doesn't make any sense unless someone on the ground was providing vital information. :pondering:

Right, Iraq has detained 3 airport workers AND... some workers in Damascus where the plane came from seem to be detained as well.
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/iraq-arrest-3-baghdad-airport-employees-for-leaking-intel-to-us-about-qassem-soleimani/

I hope they'll be okay, seems like quite a risk.