Author Topic: Portland (OR) proposal would mandate new buildings to designate spaces for homeless to camp out  (Read 804 times)

Online mountaineer

Portland proposal would mandate new buildings to designate spaces for homeless to camp out
Dec. 8, 2019
 Samantha Chang
Democrats’ solution to America’s homelessness epidemic isn’t to curb it, but to expand it — into everyone’s neighborhoods. A panel in the Democrat-led city of Portland, Oregon wants all new buildings — both commercial and residential — to designate spaces for the homeless, including providing sleeping camps.

The move to uglify Portland is being led by Oriana Magnera, a commissioner on the City of Portland’s Planning and Sustainability Commission. ...

For some reason, Magnera is not concerned that encouraging homeless people to loiter and defecate in front of residential and commercial buildings would pollute those areas, tank real-estate values, and hurt businesses. That would cripple Portland economically and lead to more homelessness. ...
Entire article at BizPacReview
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

...   Jeff Bachrach, an attorney and member of the PSC, said, "I'm concerned that this is going to become quite controversial."

"I think for us to put into design review some loaded words that suggest we want some design commissioners to think about people resting for hours, pitching tents, I think we're just putting too great of a burden on design review," Bachrach added, according to KATU.

In a statement, commission chair Katherine Schultz said she and her colleagues need to work out a definition for the word "rest" before moving forward with the idea.

"The Commission will talk about this further at our next work session and will provide suggested language to the Design Commission that helps clarify the intent of the word 'rest.' The Design Commission is the recommending body to City Council for proposed new design guidelines," she said.  ...
More from the Blaze

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The so called "homeless are, above all actually mainly addicts and alcoholics"

1. They will not follow the rules for housing.

2. They prefer to use drugs/alcohol, in place of housing with rules criteria.

3. Our public is very conflicted

A. Makes drugs legal

B. Won't infringe of "freedom" of homeless addicts

C. Prefers to not pay the costs of said drug addicts/alcoholics

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

Well this should stop Portland's problem with more business space being built. :sarc:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/12/portland-commission-proposes-mandatory-camping-spaces-for-homeless-in-new-private-buildings/

Portland Commission Proposes Mandatory Camping Spaces For Homeless In New Private Buildings

by Brock Simmons
December 7, 2019

As one of the nation’s leading laughing stocks of far left policy, Portland is doing its normal Portland thing and now proposing a mandate that would force developers to provide “resting areas” for the homeless on private property.

Willamette Week reports:

If a majority of the Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission has its way, new private buildings downtown will be required to include spaces where houseless Portlanders can “rest,” which could include sleeping and pitching tents.

“The heart of the issue is that we have increasing housing costs and we cannot support all of the people who live here now and are going to live here in the future,” says Oriana Magnera, the planning commissioner who pushed hardest to include the new language.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

"There was living space for thirteen families! In this one house!"

Online mountaineer

Is the entire left coast insane?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Two small steps, and YOU will be required to provide space forthem on YOUR lot, and let them shower and use your toilet.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline goatprairie

Inmates running the asylum.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Then when this still doesn't solve the problem, all new home construction will have to include "space" for at least one homeless family?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline EdinVA

We have a similar issue near DC.
The "not in my back yard" syndrome keeps affordable housing out of the area.  Even a 1 bedroom apartment is in the $2000 per month and that coupled with a modest car payment, insurance, food and clothes you need to make in the neighborhood of $50k just to get started.  So if you are doing "entry level/ hourly work, it is tough to make it.  I have worked with folks commuting from Harrisburg PA and Luray VA to DC for work so they can afford a place to live.
Not sure what the answer will be but what we are doing now is not working.

Offline verga

At what point will you be required to feed and clothe them as well.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

Maybe it's implied.  :pondering:

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

And at what point do other cities start distributing leaflets extolling Portland's generous benefits and offering free one-way transportation?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So what happens when some homeless waif trips and falls on the resident's/business's property?  Liability Insurance is going to go through the roof.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Why cant we Post Term Abort them? 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

So what happens when some homeless waif trips and falls on the resident's/business's property?  Liability Insurance is going to go through the roof.

It will already have gone through the roof due to the increased risk of employees working in the building being attacked by a homeless person. So, what's the next level higher than the roof.

I suspect developers are already looking into applicable regs in Vancouver, WA, just across the river, and in Beaverton, a few miles south of Portland.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EdinVA

...both commercial and residential — to designate spaces for the homeless, including providing sleeping camps.
I missed this the first time thru.... houses to... so you can have your very own homeless camp in your back yard, complete with outhouses or freshly dug latrines, campfires and clotheslines... talk about cozy..

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I missed this the first time thru.... houses to... so you can have your very own homeless camp in your back yard, complete with outhouses or freshly dug latrines, campfires and clotheslines... talk about cozy..

A 1/8th Acre lot doesn't leave much room for an actual house.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

Scotland already has a law that anybody can camp on private property under certain conditions.
My Brit in-laws do this quite a bit.
But they're not homeless druggies spreading filth and disease.
Over here things will be different if the wrong crowd is allowed to camp and do their thing on private property.