Author Topic: Warthogs Rule: Why There is No Plane Like the A-10 (And Every Army Fears Them)  (Read 251 times)

rangerrebew

April 6, 2019

Warthogs Rule: Why There is No Plane Like the A-10 (And Every Army Fears Them)

They are truly special.
by Kris Osborn

Known for an ability to keep flying after taking multiple rounds of enemy machine gun fire, land and operate in rugged terrain, destroy groups of enemy fighters with a 30-millimeter cannon and unleash a wide arsenal of attack weapons, the A-10 is described by pilots as a “flying tank” in the sky — able to hover over ground war and provide life-saving close air support in high-threat combat environments.

“It is built to withstand more damage than any other frame that I know of. It’s known for its ruggedness,” A-10 pilot Lt. Col. Ryan Haden, 23rd Fighter Group Deputy, Moody Air Force Base, told Scout Warrior in an interview.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/warthogs-rule-why-there-no-plane-10-and-every-army-fears-them-51152

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The writer says the planes are not agile, but the pilots flying them in Nevada had them moving in the sky, wheeling like a hunting hawk, able to change directions with an impressive agility that flat out surprised me. (All I could think was "I'm glad they're not hunting me!")

For the role they fulfill, that's agile enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis