Author Topic: Golden Globe Awards host Ricky Gervais tears into Hollywood elite, Disney, Amazon, Apple  (Read 1291 times)

Online libertybele

I never heard of the guy (I don't watch a whole lot of TV -- movies on occasion), but I love that he stood up to the Hollywood scum!  He deserves applause and a pat on the back.  He spoke the truth and put it in their faces!

Golden Globe Awards host Ricky Gervais tears into Hollywood elite, Disney, Amazon, Apple

The biggest stars in TV and film gathered in Beverly Hills in the hopes of kicking off the 2020 awards season with a highly coveted Golden Globe award, and notoriously controversial host Ricky Gervais wasted no time laying into the Hollywood elite vying for a big win. Stars from films like “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” “Rocketman” and “The Irishman” as well as shows like "Big Little Lies," "The Crown" and "Barry" were in attendance but the comedian and host was undeterred by the many famous faces staring back at him.

He called out the many stars in the room for their relationship to large corporations like Apple, Amazon and Disney. "Apple roared into the TV game with 'The Morning Show,' a superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing made by a company that runs sweatshops in China," he said." So you say you’re 'woke', but the companies you work for, Apple, Amazon, Disney... If ISIS had a streaming service you would be calling your agents."

Gervais then mocked the stars in attendance for their relation to the late sex offender, Jeffrey Epstein. Gervais declared that Epstein didn't kill himself, prompting groans from the crowd.

"Shut up, I know he’s your friend but I don’t care.
"

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/golden-globes-2020-ricky-gervais
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
2020 Golden Globes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:07:59 pm »
I think Ricky Gervais should be the host of every awards show.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNdTLHZAeo

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/transcript-ricky-gervais-golden-globes-2020-opening-monologue-1266516

No one cares about movies anymore. No one goes to cinema, no one really watches network TV. Everyone is watching Netflix. This show should just be me coming out, going, "Well done Netflix. You win everything. Good night." But no, we got to drag it out for three hours. You could binge-watch the entire first season of Afterlife instead of watching this show. That’s a show about a man who wants to kill himself cause his wife dies of cancer and it’s still more fun than this. Spoiler alert, season two is on the way so in the end he obviously didn’t kill himself. Just like Jeffrey Epstein. Shut up. I know he’s your friend but I don’t care.

It’s the last time, who cares? Apple roared into the TV game with The Morning Show, a superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing, made by a company that runs sweatshops in China. Well, you say you’re woke but the companies you work for in China — unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service you’d call your agent, wouldn’t you?

So if you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech. You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and f* off, OK? It’s already three hours long. Right, let’s do the first award.

And he closed with:

"Our next presenter starred in Netflix's Bird Box, a movie where people survive by acting like they don't see a thing. Sort of like working for Harvey Weinstein. You did it. I didn't — you did it! Shut the f' up."
888high58888
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online mountaineer

Besides Ricky Gervais' smackdown of SJW Hollyweirdos, the only thing I heard about the broadcast was actress Michelle Williams, wearing the most hideous piece of couture possible, talked about how wonderful her abortion was.

22222frying pan
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

Besides Ricky Gervais' smackdown of SJW Hollyweirdos, the only thing I heard about the broadcast was actress Michelle Williams, wearing the most hideous piece of couture possible, talked about how wonderful her abortion was.

22222frying pan

She's a piece of work -- I hadn't heard of her either ... but here's her quote:

“I know my choices may look different than yours, but thank God or whomever we pray to that we live in a country founded on the principle that I am free to live by my faith and you are free to live by yours,” Williams said.

"Whomever we pray to"??  She's thanking God free to live by her faith? Yes she had an abortion??  What faith would that be, I wonder?  Seriously?  Obviously she didn't want to offend the Muslims or others! 

I'm really coming to the realization over the past couple of days of how much liberals in general sicken and disgust me. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

He went full "Howard Beale"

Offline skeeter

Re: 2020 Golden Globes
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 03:09:22 pm »
I think Ricky Gervais should be the host of every awards show.

Me too. I wouldn't mistake Gervais for an ideological ally but at least he realizes what half of the Hollywood blockheads apparently do not - its not a good idea to alienate half of your audience with your deformed ideas delivered from on high as if you are some kind of wise sage when most of us know exactly who you really are.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
He went full "Howard Beale"

Which one of the awardees was Faye Dunnaway....that boich Patricia Arquette?  She's been on her back more times than ex QB  Colin Copperdic
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 03:20:53 pm »
Me too. I wouldn't mistake Gervais for an ideological ally but at least he realizes what half of the Hollywood blockheads apparently do not - its not a good idea to alienate half of your audience with your deformed ideas delivered from on high as if you are some kind of wise sage when most of us know exactly who you really are.

Gervais is further to the Left than even they are, which is why he hates them so much.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 03:38:27 pm »
Gervais is further to the Left than even they are, which is why he hates them so much.

Yeah I'd advise against getting too excited about his ideology 'cause I suspect he'll come out with a really offensive riff to let everyone know where he stands.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 03:51:18 pm »
Indeed. This was all one big kabuki show.

All he did was to anger enough people that he doesn't get invited back next year, which is probably exactly what he wants because he's been doing this forever it seems and he probably is sick of it by now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

Johnny (Joey) Jones   @Johnny_Joey

Conservatives, @rickygervais
 isn’t “on your side” he’s just courageously honest about the people with whom he works and exists. That’s much better and more genuine than any party line.

9:41 AM · Jan 6, 2020
-------------------------------
Nick Searcy, REVERED LEADER & FILM & TV STAR   @yesnicksearcy

That’s why he seems like a conservative.

9:46 AM · Jan 6, 2020

Online mountaineer

Ricky Gervais Made A Very Clever Golden Globes Manuever
January 6, 2020 By Emily Jashinsky

Ricky Gervais knowingly set Hollywood up for a glittering failure on Sunday. I’m not sure it was the best ever, but his opening monologue at the Golden Globes deserves to go down in award show history for its definitive and explicit rebuke of one of the season’s grandest traditions—and one of the industry’s most iconic blindspots: the political acceptance speech.

“You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything, you know nothing about the real world,” he told the room of insiders. “Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg. So, if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent and your god and f-ck off.”

But it wasn’t to be. Patricia Arquette and Michelle Williams, no strangers to this genre of acceptance speech, both spent their allotted time on politics.  ... More at The Federalist

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

just say'n

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Ricky Gervais Made A Very Clever Golden Globes Manuever
January 6, 2020 By Emily Jashinsky

Ricky Gervais knowingly set Hollywood up for a glittering failure on Sunday. I’m not sure it was the best ever, but his opening monologue at the Golden Globes deserves to go down in award show history for its definitive and explicit rebuke of one of the season’s grandest traditions—and one of the industry’s most iconic blindspots: the political acceptance speech.

“You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything, you know nothing about the real world,” he told the room of insiders. “Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg. So, if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent and your god and f-ck off.”

But it wasn’t to be. Patricia Arquette and Michelle Williams, no strangers to this genre of acceptance speech, both spent their allotted time on politics.  ... More at The Federalist

FYI:

When I clicked on this headline while on FB, my BitDefender alerts came one after another.     http://www.bitdefender.com/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

FYI:
When I clicked on this headline while on FB, my BitDefender alerts came one after another.     http://www.bitdefender.com/
Not sure what that means, but The Federalist is not a spammish kind of site.

Offline Wingnut

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 01:13:07 am »

@skeeter

He is literally the only reason I ever watch it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:15 am »

@dfwgator

Wrong. He hates them for their hypocrisy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Ashley StClair 🇺🇸 @stclairashley

Ricky Gervais: Calls out hypocrisy among Hollywood elites & slams them for turning a blind eye to Harvey Weinstein’s assaults

Michelle Williams: Said she wouldn’t have won an award if she hadn't aborted her baby years ago

Guess which one the mainstream media called offensive?
7:47 PM · Jan 6, 2020

Online mountaineer

Golden Globes 2020: Ricky Gervais hits Hollywood stars exactly where it hurts
By Kyle Smith
January 5, 2020 | 10:06pm
How Hollywood sees itself: dedicated craftsmen, important artists, world thought leaders. How Ricky Gervais (and everyone else) sees them: criminals, perverts and dopes — a gang of pretentious jerkwads who dropped out of high school when people noticed they were pretty, then mistakenly started to think their insights on world affairs matter. Hired to host the Golden Globes for the fifth and last time, Gervais saw it as his duty to tell Hollywood to eff off, and that’s exactly what he did. All those comics who think they’re “bold,” they “bite the hand that feeds them,” they “speak truth to power” — this is how it’s done.

“Let’s have a laugh — at your expense,” Ricky the G warned the roomful of celebrities, machers and blowhards in the only awards show that’s worth watching anymore because it’s the only one that would think of hiring someone like Gervais to host it. ...

The more eyeball bullets got fired at him, the funnier Gervais got. Plugging his own Netflix show “AfterLife,” Gervais noted that he plays a guy who considers killing himself but “in the end, he didn’t kill himself. Just like Jeffrey Epstein.” Pause. Gasps. Hurt feelings. Then, the follow-through: “Sorry, I know he’s your friend.” Bam. ...

Thanks to Ricky Gervais, this was the most hilarious LA bloodbath since the climax of “Once Upon a Time in … Hollywood.”
Read entire article at NY Post

Online mountaineer

Pat Sajak  @patsajak
Just updated my will. Requesting @rickygervais
 to speak at my funeral.
3:21 PM · Jan 6, 2020

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
"Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg"

What a great line.  Got in a dig at both the audience and Thunberg in one little sentence.