Author Topic: IRAN III News Updates Thread  (Read 18906 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: IRAN III News Updates Thread
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2020, 03:49:23 pm »
Aurora Intel
@AuroraIntel
.@planetlabs have released the first Sat. imagery of Ain Al Assad Airbase after the #Iran attack showing the damage caused. #Iraq #US

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2020, 04:03:25 pm »
US military had advance warning of incoming missiles fired by Iran
https://nypost.com/2020/01/08/us-military-had-advance-warning-of-incoming-missiles-fired-by-iran/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2020, 04:08:26 pm »
Agreed...but their first target for their ballistic missile program won't be the U.S. once they perfect the guidance systems and fit nuke warheads to them.

We'll be second once they build their ICBM's.

The only reason I mentioned NORAD is because the system they run picks up missile launches anywhere.  Regardless of whether it's coming at us or not.  It could have/should have been an early warning from them to the troops in Iraq to hunker down because they had missiles heading their way.
I figured as much, and that may have been a factor in moving our people out of the way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2020, 04:17:31 pm »
We have been standing down and reaping the "benefits" for 40 years.
Is it your desire that we continue to ignore the issue so our grand kids can deal with it?
I do understand your logic and desire but when is enough enough?

When we decided to kill Soleimani.  Following that, Trump publicly told the entire nation, and the world, that he wasn't trying to start a war, but to prevent one.  If he does as you suggest, he'd be rightly tagged as a huge liar who misled the entire country.

Iran is in trouble.  They've had mass protests because of a tanking economy, and we just took out one of their most important figures.  Let's see where this goes before escalating and potential losing any advantage we may have just gained.

We can do a lot of damage to Iraq with missiles, but not enough to remove the mullahs from power.  If you really wanted to do that, you'd have to invade by land, and that's not happening.   Even manned aircraft would result in a lot of guys getting shot down and muddying up the situation.  And if we just decide to take out their port facilities/oil production, we're going to throw much of the rest of the world into a recession because of the disruption to oil supplies.  At that point, with little left to lose, Iran may just decide to fire off 1000 or so ballistic missiles at other cities in the region.  Non-nuclear, but a lot of people would still get killed, and everyone would blame it on us.  Might even swing enough Senators to convict Trump.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2020, 04:32:27 pm »
When we decided to kill Soleimani.  Following that, Trump publicly told the entire nation, and the world, that he wasn't trying to start a war, but to prevent one.  If he does as you suggest, he'd be rightly tagged as a huge liar who misled the entire country.

Iran is in trouble.  They've had mass protests because of a tanking economy, and we just took out one of their most important figures.  Let's see where this goes before escalating and potential losing any advantage we may have just gained.

We can do a lot of damage to Iraq with missiles, but not enough to remove the mullahs from power.  If you really wanted to do that, you'd have to invade by land, and that's not happening.   Even manned aircraft would result in a lot of guys getting shot down and muddying up the situation.  And if we just decide to take out their port facilities/oil production, we're going to throw much of the rest of the world into a recession because of the disruption to oil supplies.  At that point, with little left to lose, Iran may just decide to fire off 1000 or so ballistic missiles at other cities in the region.  Non-nuclear, but a lot of people would still get killed, and everyone would blame it on us.  Might even swing enough Senators to convict Trump.

At this moment the Mullahs fondest wish is to rally the nation in a war against the Great Satan. We should be figuring out ways to quietly support their internal opposition right now.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:56 pm »
Trump's speech was outstanding.  He was very sober/serious, and called for Europe to join in heavier economic sanctions on Iran to stop the export of terrorism, and to prevent them from getting a nuke.  Said he wanted Iran to consider peace as a better way to help its people, etc.. Also rightly pointed a nasty finger at the last Administration for giving Iran access to the funds that they have used to buy weapons, and to export terrorism since the signing of that agreement.

Took no questions.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2020, 05:00:34 pm »
At this moment the Mullahs fondest wish is to rally the nation in a war against the Great Satan. We should be figuring out ways to quietly support their internal opposition right now.

If they wanted to rally their nation for a war against us, they wouldn't have fired just 15 missiles into mostly-empty bases.  They know, and Trump recognized that they knew, that they could not fight and win such a war against the U.S..  We'd wipe out their oil industry in the first 24 hours.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2020, 05:01:56 pm »
Trump's speech was outstanding.  He was very sober/serious, and called for Europe to join in heavier economic sanctions on Iran to stop the export of terrorism, and to prevent them from getting a nuke.  Said he wanted Iran to consider peace as a better way to help its people, etc.. Also rightly pointed a nasty finger at the last Administration for giving Iran access to the funds that they have used to buy weapons, and to export terrorism since the signing of that agreement.

Took no questions.

I was wondering how that went.  My cable and internet went down in the first sentence, and came back up after the speech.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:13 pm »
I was wondering how that went.  My cable and internet went down in the first sentence, and came back up after the speech.

I predict that Democrats and many in the media will be wearing their sad faces because Trump didn't take us into a war that would destroy Trump's electability.   I honestly think many of them were rooting for Trump to screw this up.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2020, 05:09:13 pm »

Took no questions.
So, now we can breathe easier, the world is at peace, until tomorrow.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2020, 05:12:13 pm »
So, now we can breathe easier, the world is at peace, until tomorrow.

Trump was handed an absolute shit sandwich by the last Administration when it comes to Iran.  That deal was terrible, and also undercut allies who thought it gave Iran too much.  It put Iran on a clear path to ascendancy in that region, which they've been pushing and exploiting ever since.

Trump put a screeching halt to that in the last week.

Trump rightly recognized that Iran is having real internal problems right now.  Taking out Soleimani, then staring down the Ayatollahs, is going to help rally support overseas for some truly severe sanctions.  He's rightly going to give that shot first before sending more Americans off to be killed in a war.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:14:12 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2020, 05:16:44 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PEyPez-5H8

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2020, 05:18:16 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2020, 05:21:13 pm »
Trump was handed an absolute shit sandwich by the last Administration when it comes to Iran.  That deal was terrible, and also undercut allies who thought it gave Iran too much.  It put Iran on a clear path to ascendancy in that region, which they've been pushing and exploiting ever since.

Trump rightly recognized that Iran is having real internal problems right now.  Taking out Soleimani, then staring down the Ayatollahs, is going to help rally support overseas for some truly severe sanctions.  He's rightly going to give that shot first before sending more Americans off to be killed in a war.

I bet the last administration wrote that retreat draft letter we sent to Iran too.

Trump's speech did not deescalate the situation.  I don't say that because I want Trump to fail and wage war.  I say it because I fear that is his nature.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2020, 05:24:17 pm »

Well, Carter built the shit sandwich and for 40 years we have been passing it along, one generation to the next.
Theocracy's could care less about their citizenry, remaining in power is their only concern.
If we take from the underclass via sanctions, the power base will just seize more goods and services from the country.
Only those in power have the ability to fight and defend themselves so it does not matter what the underclass does or says.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2020, 05:26:52 pm »
I bet the last administration wrote that retreat draft letter we sent to Iran too.

Trump's speech did not deescalate the situation.  I don't say that because I want Trump to fail and wage war.  I say it because I fear that is his nature.

Well, if you're going to ignore the speech and say that we're screwed anyway because that's Trump's "nature", there's not really much to discuss.

But I thought this excerpt made it clear that we were not contemplating any military action in retaliation for those missile strikes, and that is by definition a deescalation:

Our great American forces are prepared for anything. Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for all parties concerned and a very good thing for the world. No American or Iraqi lives were lost because of the precautions taken, the dispersal of forces, and an early warning system that worked very well. I salute the incredible skill and courage of America’s men and women in uniform.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2020, 05:27:33 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2020, 05:29:58 pm »
If they wanted to rally their nation for a war against us, they wouldn't have fired just 15 missiles into mostly-empty bases.  They know, and Trump recognized that they knew, that they could not fight and win such a war against the U.S..  We'd wipe out their oil industry in the first 24 hours.

Now that it is crystal clear Trump used the "cultural site" threat as a bluff, I have to say the man hit a Home Run in this crisis. 

Now that Islamic terrorist know that we mean business, I venture to say that we might see less of that BS in the future.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2020, 05:37:58 pm »
Trump's speech was outstanding.   
Agree 100%. There's a very good article looking back on the recent, 40 yrs, history with Iran. Connects a lot of dots.
Code: [Select]
Iran and America Are Suddenly Both Naked
https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/296604/iran-and-america-are-suddenly-both-naked

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2020, 05:40:50 pm »
Now that it is crystal clear Trump used the "cultural site" threat as a bluff, I have to say the man hit a Home Run in this crisis. 

Now that Islamic terrorist know that we mean business, I venture to say that we might see less of that BS in the future.

The operative phrase in all this is "escalation dominance".  Trump knew, and he also recognized that the Iranians knew, that escalation would turn out much worse for them than it would for us.  It enabled us to kill Soleimani, and when coupling that with a threat of disproportionate retaliation if Iran responded, be fairly certain Iran would have to back down.  Very well thought out strategy.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2020, 05:54:47 pm »
I think now would be a great time to stand down, and reap the practical and propaganda benefits of having taken out Soleimani, made Iran look impotant, while not escalating any conflict.
@Maj. Bill Martin

Thanks for a "forward thinking" post.  What you say is what should happen.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2020, 05:57:17 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2020, 06:03:39 pm »
Is it just me, or are the Democrats being remarkably quiet this morning about the killing of Soleimani?

Offline thackney

« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2020, 06:04:29 pm »
Is it just me, or are the Democrats being remarkably quiet this morning about the killing of Soleimani?

Polling numbers must be in...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2020, 06:05:06 pm »
They got what they wanted...