Author Topic: IRAN III News Updates Thread  (Read 18907 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: IRAN III News Updates Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2020, 03:36:48 am »
So what has changed since friday nite?  Nothing.
The stated goal of the Iranian theocracy is still to spread terrorism throughout the world with the goal of global dominance thru any means necessary.
We changed a name, nothing more.

I read where that Reaper drone could have tech that positively ID'ed suleimani in a moving vehicle at night. I have no doubt that operations already in their books will still be carried out. But, hopefully, the ROEs for us have changed and we start to use our tech weapons to kill every little rat bastard causing death anywhere over there. On a consistent and steady basis.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2020, 03:38:30 am »
Last I heard some Iraqis are injured, no US casualties.  This is early, fog of war doesn't lift until 24 hours or so.

Thanks for the update. I am off to bed.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2020, 03:39:10 am »
Ben Rhodes
@brhodes
·
13m
There is still de-escalation as an available option. This war will not end well for anyone otherwise.

Eff you, Benny!   You backed the wrong Kenyan, er..., President.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2020, 03:39:29 am »
Agreed.  IMHO  Not saving face -- they fired warning shots and they are taunting Trump.

Missing from all the reporting is Putin's visit to Syria today (his first since 2017).  If I were asked to guess, I'd guess Putin gave a green light for the revenge missiles from Iran --- with one provision:  "Do not touch even a hair on the head of any American".

Just my guess.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2020, 03:39:43 am »
BNO News
@BNONews
BREAKING: Iranian media says Boeing 737 suffered technical problems, went down minutes after take-off in Tehran
9:32 PM · Jan 7, 2020·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1214751652823126017

There may be 180 passengers on board here, odd that this might happen. I saw another tweet on this in Spanish so, perhaps this did happen....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-08/boeing-737-passenger-jet-crashes-in-iran-due-to-technical-issue
Ukraine bound. Maybe Ukraine airlines in fact.

Which is kind of mind-blowing if this happened tonight of all times....

Also, News Flash has this (unrelated to the crash above, related to the attack in Iraq)

News flash
@BRNewsFlash
#BREAKING : Fears of British casualties at Iraqi bases bombed by Iran as #Tehran accuses UK of being America's 'partner in crime' over General #Soleimani's killing

https://twitter.com/BRNewsFlash/status/1214734709965631490

So, hopefully, nothing happened to our British allies... Just posting because I saw it...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:49:36 am by TomSea »

Offline bilo

« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2020, 03:39:56 am »
They got away with nothing.  We killed the top terrorist leader in the ME - the No. 2 guy in Iran, and their retaliation was to fire off some missiles that didn't hit anything.

We can and should declare victory, and move on.

I think this is why Trump is waiting to say anything until tomorrow. He's not reacting immediately because as long as they aren't killing a bunch of our people we don't need to shock the world's economy by disrupting the oil flow from the middle east. People don't realize we can knock out their oil production pretty quickly, but they can create huge problems in the Persian Gulf.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2020, 03:47:01 am »
So what has changed since friday nite?  Nothing.
The stated goal of the Iranian theocracy is still to spread terrorism throughout the world with the goal of global dominance thru any means necessary.
We changed a name, nothing more.

Not true at all.  As General Petraeus said, killing Soleimani was more important than killing OBL or Al-Baghdadi.  Anyway, we accomplished three things to change the dynamic in the region.

1)  Soleimani apparently was a very charismatic, smart guy who was very hands on.  Just because someone new takes over his title doesn't mean they have anything close to his ability or reputation.  It's like saying the Russians would have accomplished nothing by killing Reagan because he would have been replaced by GHW Bush, so "no big deal".

2) The blow to the prestige of the Iranian government is enormous.  Previously, Soleimani had an air of invincibility, able to fly around the ME at will with impunity, with even the mighty U.S. too afraid to do anything about him.  That helped give an aura of inevitability to the idea of Iranian dominance of the region, and greatly enhanced his prestige in creating and leading various militias, etc..  By openly killing him, and then threatening to smash Iran if they killed more Americans in response, Trump reversed the perception of strength.  That is extremely important in the ME culture, and will dishearten Iran's supporters, and hearten its opponents.  So that's huge.

3) Because we openly killed Soleimani, and didn't blink about, whoever replaces him is no longer going to be able to act as openly.  That will further reduce his ability to influence events outside Iran, because he's going to have to act as if he is afraid of the U.S..

Which he should be.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:56:33 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2020, 03:47:49 am »
I think this is why Trump is waiting to say anything until tomorrow. He's not reacting immediately because as long as they aren't killing a bunch of our people we don't need to shock the world's economy by disrupting the oil flow from the middle east. People don't realize we can knock out their oil production pretty quickly, but they can create huge problems in the Persian Gulf.
I think that is the one thing that really surprised me about Trump, his patience.
I was worried before the election that he would be so accustomed to a huge organization, both his and his competitors, jumping every time he talked that managing the government wold frustrate him but he seems to be wearing the new suite well.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2020, 04:01:16 am »

Right -- and that's why finally killing Soleimani was so brilliant.  The Iranians were already engaging in so much nasty behavior that they really couldn't retaliate without escalating things to the point where they'd be hurt much more than us.   Americans didn't want war with Iran...but Iran wanted war with the U.S. even less, and Trump properly calculated that they'd have to back down.  So they did this face-saving attack, then quickly assured us that their actions were concluded so Trump didn't smash them back. To me, Trump's message tonight suggests he realizes that, and so will not retaliate.

Offline bilo

« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2020, 04:16:49 am »
I think that is the one thing that really surprised me about Trump, his patience.
I was worried before the election that he would be so accustomed to a huge organization, both his and his competitors, jumping every time he talked that managing the government wold frustrate him but he seems to be wearing the new suite well.

I think you're right. He says a lot of things in the heat of the moment, but ultimately the decisions he makes are sound.

Offline bilo

« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2020, 04:19:15 am »
Right -- and that's why finally killing Soleimani was so brilliant.  The Iranians were already engaging in so much nasty behavior that they really couldn't retaliate without escalating things to the point where they'd be hurt much more than us.   Americans didn't want war with Iran...but Iran wanted war with the U.S. even less, and Trump properly calculated that they'd have to back down.  So they did this face-saving attack, then quickly assured us that their actions were concluded so Trump didn't smash them back. To me, Trump's message tonight suggests he realizes that, and so will not retaliate.

Also, Trump has made it clear that he will cut off the head of the snake rather than fight it's surrogates. The leadership has to be thinking about this, do they want to die?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2020, 04:19:53 am »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2020, 04:24:12 am »
A Ukraine 737 just crashed in Iran?  Did I hear that right?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2020, 04:25:05 am »
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/app/earthquakes/quake-info/2639315/M5-Wed-8-Jan-Southern-Iran.html

Moderate magnitude 5.0 earthquake at 10 km depth

Interesting!

Iran is one of the most active earthquake zones in the world, and those kind of quakes aren't unusual.  I suspect someone is taking something that is common and trying to imply something nefarious simply to take advantage of the publicity.

https://www.thoughtco.com/seismic-hazard-maps-of-the-world-1441205

Offline austingirl

« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2020, 04:25:31 am »

Yes and an earthquake in Iran.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2020, 04:25:50 am »

You heard correctly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2020, 04:26:34 am »

Yes.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/ukrainian-boeing-737-crashes-imam-khomeini-airport-state-media/11852504

Taking off from Tehran.  Technical difficulties?

EA:  180 on board.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:28:16 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2020, 04:26:37 am »
Iran is one of the most active earthquake zones in the world, and those kind of quakes aren't unusual.  I suspect someone is taking something that is common and trying to imply something nefarious simply to take advantage of the publicity.

https://www.thoughtco.com/seismic-hazard-maps-of-the-world-1441205

Could well be, but still interesting.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2020, 04:35:14 am »

Yes, just heard the same. Too coincidental.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2020, 04:43:48 am »
Yes, just heard the same. Too coincidental.

This will be tomorrow morning's big story of the night.
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:43 am »
Yes and an earthquake in Iran.

As backwards thinking some of those people are, I hope they view it as a sign from Allah.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:47 am »
Hamdid Rifai, who I like to read may be ornery and drunk tonight but he did tweet:

Hamdi Rifai
@HamdiRifaiJD
·
45m
Iran just shot down a commercial passenger jet murdering 180 passengers
(then, the CNN report)

https://twitter.com/HamdiRifaiJD/status/1214760746913021953

The plane exploded WHEN it hit the ground, I saw it and it crashed after take-off, I don't see anything sinister here but I could be way wrong.

Also, the US Contractor that certainly helped get this whole thing rolling, who was he?? He was a naturalize US citizen, born in Iraq, Arabic translator:

Investigations
Contractor whose death Trump cited was a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Iraq

Nawres Hamid, a contractor killed in Iraq, was a naturalized U.S. citizen who served as an Arabic interpreter for U.S. forces. (Family photo)
By  Aaron C. Davis
Jan. 7, 2020 at 9:25 p.m. CST

An American defense contractor whose death late last month was cited by President Trump amid escalating violence with Iran was identified Tuesday as an interpreter who was born in Iraq and lived in Sacramento.

Nawres Hamid, 33, became a naturalized citizen in 2017, according to his widow. He was the father of two boys, ages 2 and 8, she said.

In recent years, as an Arabic interpreter for U.S. forces in Iraq, Hamid was known to decorate his living space with pictures of the children, according to a co-worker.

More at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/contractor-whose-death-trump-cites-was-a-naturalized-us-citizen-born-in-iraq/2020/01/07/afa7e774-31ac-11ea-91fd-82d4e04a3fac_story.html

Also, al Arabiya reported that the Iranians statement tonight on the base attack is, should there be no further actions by the US, this concludes their revenge attack.

Hamdid Rifai who I quote sometimes, doesn't care for the Kurds, really hates the Assad forces, he must be Iraqi or Syria but he says a lot of interesting stuff. We will see.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:59:59 am by TomSea »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2020, 07:20:04 am »
Bette Midler
@BetteMidler
·
22s
...........Iran is thousands of years old & was the first empire in history; surviving because because they are cunning, crafty, & have lots of what we do not.  Patience.

We all knew she wasn't gonna say "Commie Secular Jews"....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:28:55 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline TomSea

« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2020, 11:48:00 am »
A lot of views, I wasn't sure what to title this but it looks like people found it, it wasn't quite an "Iran Conflict" before last night, then, it's not necessarily that now.... Jerusalem Post calls the problem there, the "Israeili-Arab" conflict I think as a general heading.

The Jerusalem Post
@Jerusalem_Post
Both black boxes of crashed #Ukrainian airliner have been found - #Iran TV

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1214861110261751809

The Jerusalem Post
@Jerusalem_Post
#Iran is refusing to hand over the black boxes found in the wreckage of the #ukrainianplane which crashed in #Tehran this morning. Meanwhile, #Ukraine has said that earlier statements on the cause of the crash were unofficial.

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1214863621072859137

So, we will see....