Author Topic: IRAN III News Updates Thread  (Read 18521 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: IRAN III News Updates Thread
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2020, 02:33:11 am »
They did more damage to themselves that they did us..

That is their history. I remember reading that during the Iran-Iraq war that the Iranians were snatching teenagers off the streets and putting them on the front lines as literal cannon fodder. Trying to get the Iraqi's to waste ammo.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline corbe

« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2020, 02:54:34 am »
Iraqi Militias Remain a Wild Card in U.S.-Iran Standoff  (WSJ)

Dion Nissenbaum, Isabel Coles

23 mins ago

BEIRUT—In the hours after President Trump declared that the U.S. and Iran were backing away from open conflict, militants in Baghdad fired two rockets that set off warning sirens at the U.S. Embassy.

The blasts late Wednesday caused little damage, but they appeared to be a sign that Iraqi militia groups aligned with Iran could still play spoilers in the volatile conflict between Washington and Tehran.

The groups have made clear they still want to exact revenge on America for last Friday’s drone strike in Baghdad.

Get news and analysis on politics, policy, national security and more, delivered right to your inbox

That U.S. attack killed not only Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, Tehran’s most important military leader, but also Iraq’s top paramilitary commander, Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes. As Iran’s point man in Iraq, Mr. Mohandes played an important role in exerting control over militias that are formally part of Iraq’s security forces, but often pursue their own agendas.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/iraqi-militias-remain-a-wild-card-in-us-iran-standoff/ar-BBYMULT?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2020, 04:36:04 am »
It looks like they may take out anyone who had knowledge of Soleimani itinerary. Furthering the self destruction from within seeding further divisions. That one kill may end up taking out thousands of Iranians... They've probably exceeded 200 so far...

@Cyber Liberty

Nothing mysterious about this. When a "King" dies without a named Prince to take over,the people around him who were close,but in his shadows and afraid of him,make their own grab for power by trying to arrest and execute his most loyal followers.

It's a tale as old as nations.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2020, 06:26:43 pm »

Foreign Policy

Not One Senate Democrat Joins Resolution Commending U.S. Military For Soleimani’s Death

Commending those who killed a terrorist responsible for the loss of hundreds of American lives should not be a controversial endeavor, but apparently it is.

With the support of 42 other GOP senators, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas introduced a resolution yesterday afternoon to commend the president for ordering “successful operations” in Iranian terrorist Qassam Soleimani’s death and to honor the members of U.S. military and intelligence agencies who aided in the targeted killing of “a terrorist responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people across the Middle East, including 603 US service members.”

Cruz hoped partisan divisions would be sufficiently and temporarily suppressed for the sake of commending the administration for destroying the mastermind behind the world’s largest state sponsor of terror. However, not one Democratic senator could marshal the courage to co-sponsor the resolution with him.

Indeed, Cruz purposely analogized the resolution to the one introduced in 2011 honoring those who ordered and assisted in the killing of Osama bin Laden. Senate Resolution 159 was introduced by Sen. Harry Reid (D-CA) just three days after U.S. forces killed bin Laden under President Obama in May 2011. That resolution was sponsored by the entire Senate, serving as an emphatic symbol of the chamber’s capacity for bipartisan statements — at least when they praise Democrats.

Read more at: https://thefederalist.com/2020/01/10/not-one-senate-democrat-joins-resolution-commending-u-s-military-for-soleimanis-death/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »

Cruz hoped partisan divisions would be sufficiently and temporarily suppressed for the sake of commending the administration for destroying the mastermind behind the world’s largest state sponsor of terror.

@TomSea

No,he didn't. I don't really trust Cruz,but anybody that thinks Cruz is an idiot is a fool. I have no doubt he is one of the smartest men in the US Senate.

Not one chance in hell that he actually thought any Dims would sign on to anything about Trump that isn't negative.  They are all serfs to their party masters.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2020, 09:37:36 pm »
Not that odd.  A large number of the Canadians are naturalized citizens from Iran, I read in one of these posts.
@Cyber Liberty

That surprised me - think the number was 63 Canadians.  I saw some of the families speak in Canada, and some were dressed as they would in Iran.  I did not know that many from Iran are there.  Am so sorry they were killed - someone dying from disease sort of prepares a family for a death - but there were husbands of Iranian origin holding pictures of their wife and children.  One had a wife and a small daughter, another a wife and a small son.  One said he could not believe they were not coming back.  Their family was alive and then they were dead, just like that.

One of our family is a Captain with United Airlines and my son travels the world by airplane to make documentary films.  I worry for both of them in today's world. If you ever flew with the family United Airlines Captain, you would definitely get to the destination because he can take the plane apart and put it back together - in the air.  He is that good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2020, 09:56:18 pm »
@Victoria33

I have great respect for the Pilots.  You should be very proud!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2020, 10:08:26 pm »
@Victoria33

I have great respect for the Pilots.  You should be very proud!
@Cyber Liberty

I should have added this:
I asked him if he worried about the souls he has on board to get to their destination.  He said, "I think about ME getting there, because if I do, they do."  At the moment, he is at our house with his going to college daughter.  They go back home to another state on Sunday.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2020, 01:10:17 am »
It's interesting that Pompeo says the "regional allies" have been very good, the Europeans, a bit lukewarm.
Pompeo Complains Support For America From its European Allies is Lukewarm
Published January 10th, 2020 - 07:22 GMT

Highlights
Washington criticizes European allies for failing to fully back assassination of Iranian general.

The U.S. is facing increasing isolation in the West following its assassination last week of Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps’ (IRGC) Quds Force and second most powerful man in the country.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has publicly complained that America’s traditional allies in Europe have not been forceful enough in their backing of President Donald Trump’s unilateral decision to kill Soleimani in a drone strike early Friday outside Baghdad International Airport along with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the senior commander of Iraq’s Hashd al-Shaabi force, and eight others.

“I spent the last day and a half, two days, talking to partners in the region, sharing with them what we were doing, why we were doing it, seeking their assistance. They’ve all been fantastic. And then talking to our partners in other places that haven’t been quite as good,” Pompeo told Fox News.

Read more at: https://www.albawaba.com/news/pompeo-complains-support-america-its-european-allies-lukewarm-1332055

One twitter account I follow,  @IrinaTsukerman made a sarcastic remark in the last 2 days about an "uneventful year" so far... what has happened, all of this in just the opening days of 2020 has been some rollercoaster ride, it almost defies belief.... too much for me.

I've never been a fan of almasdarnews.com  ... they seem friendly to the other side... but that aside, here is a curious not anti-Soleimani article they publshed, real mild.  I have no idea where this news site is from.
Qassem Soleimani’s role in the Syrian War
By  News Desk -   2020-01-10

BEIRUT, LEBANON (12:20 P.M.) - More at: https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/qassem-soleimanis-role-in-the-syrian-war/

I'll bet this is where this news comes from, Beirut, anyway, they make it sound like Soleimani did not do much in Syria.  Not much to the article, pretty dull and dry.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2020, 02:07:55 am »
Terrorists In Iraq Fearing U.S. Targeting: Are Fleeing and Hiding After Soleimani Killing
By   Sara Carter -  January 8, 2020

U.S. officials have intercepted chatter and received confirmation that terrorist leaders in Iraq have been fleeing the region and have gone into hiding fearing United States intelligence capabilities after the successful airstrike that killed Iranian Quds Force leader Qassem Soleimani, according to multiple sources that spoke to SaraACarter.com.

Soleimani, the leader of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard’s Quds Force, was killed early Friday morning as he stepped off his plane and headed to the SUV at the Baghdad Airport in Iraq. The U.S. developed extraordinary actionable intelligence to target the most wanted terrorist in the world and it was a ‘precision strike’ that caught the Iranian government off guard, said a White House official, who spoke on background due to the sensitive nature of their work.

More: https://saraacarter.com/terrorists-in-iraq-fearing-u-s-capabilities-are-fleeing-and-hiding-after-soleimani-killing/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2020, 02:09:33 am »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2020, 02:26:29 am »
@TomSea

You posted: "U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has publicly complained that America’s traditional allies in Europe have not been forceful enough in their backing of President Donald Trump’s unilateral decision to kill Soleimani in a drone strike early Friday outside Baghdad International Airport along with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the senior commander of Iraq’s Hashd al-Shaabi force, and eight others."
Trump has called every European country leader bad names, made fun of their looks, insulted them at every opportunity just as he does every human on earth.  I knew they would not stand with us as they have in the past.  IMPOTUS -  European leaders must have clapped their hands together when that happened.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2020, 03:14:21 am »
@TomSea

You posted: "U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has publicly complained that America’s traditional allies in Europe have not been forceful enough in their backing of President Donald Trump’s unilateral decision to kill Soleimani in a drone strike early Friday outside Baghdad International Airport along with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the senior commander of Iraq’s Hashd al-Shaabi force, and eight others."
Trump has called every European country leader bad names, made fun of their looks, insulted them at every opportunity just as he does every human on earth.  I knew they would not stand with us as they have in the past.  IMPOTUS -  European leaders must have clapped their hands together when that happened.

??? "Every" European country leader and "Every" human on earth??  Your point is made, but still an exaggeration.  IMHO in some instances Trump is correct in his assessment.  Not saying at all that he is correct in the use of name calling but he does call out those for their shortcomings, especially when if produces a negative outcome for their country.

Iran has been allowed to "bully" the rest of the world and perhaps in part others not jumping in to back Trump may be out of fear?

Frankly, I am sickened by the way that our liberal MSM and DEMS trash and obstruct the valiant efforts of this President to lead this country down a better path and feel it is an absolute disgrace and I don't doubt that the rest of the world notices.   IMHO it is shamefully unpatriotic and is contributing to the demise of this Republic.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2020, 11:05:30 am »
Iraq arrest 3 Baghdad Airport employees for leaking intel to US about Qassem Soleimani
By  News Desk -   2020-01-11

BEIRUT, LEBANON (7:00 A.M.) – The Iraqi authorities have detained three people that work at Baghdad International Airport on suspicion of leaking information about Qassem Soleimani’s movements to the Americans.

According to CNN, the Iraqi authorities did not reveal the identities of the Baghdad Airport employees, but they did say they were Iraqi citizens.

CNN stated that the Iraqi authorities have launched an investigation into the circumstances of the American strike that killed the Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.

Read more at: https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/iraq-arrest-3-baghdad-airport-employees-for-leaking-intel-to-us-about-qassem-soleimani/

It was revealed we had help in the Baghdad and Damascus airports and a day later, some are arrested. We don't need to always tell people how we get our data.  2 in custody in Syria the article says.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:07:16 am by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2020, 11:16:52 am »
Iran Says It Shot Down Ukrainian Jetliner By Mistake

Updated at 4:21 a.m. ET Saturday

In a "terrible catastrophe," Iran says it mistakenly shot missiles at a Ukrainian civilian jetliner minutes after takeoff on Wednesday. The plane crashed on the outskirts of Tehran, killing 176 people.

"Armed Forces' internal investigation has concluded that regrettably missiles fired due to human error caused the horrific crash of the Ukrainian plane & death of 176 innocent people," President Hassan Rouhani wrote on Twitter early Saturday.

"Investigations continue to identify & prosecute this great tragedy & unforgivable mistake," he added.

It's a reversal from earlier statements by Iranian officials, who had repeatedly denied their own missile system shot down the plane.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/10/795480690/iran-unintentionally-shot-down-ukrainian-jetliner-killing-176-people
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2020, 01:32:29 pm »
Iranian national armed with knives, cash detained near Mar-a-Lago
By Vincent Barone
January 10, 2020 | 6:49pm
New York Post

An Iranian national carrying a machete, a pickax and $20,00 cash was detained in Palm Beach Florida Friday, after he was reported sleeping in a park five miles from President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, according to local police.

The man, Masoud Yareilzoleh, was carrying knives — including a machete and a pickaxe — as well as $22,000 in cash when he was taken into custody just north of Flagler Memorial Bridge, the Palm Beach Daily News reported. ...

Reminder:
Ryan Fournier  @RyanAFournier
BREAKING: An armed Iranian national was just arrested at the Mar-a-Lago while carrying multiple weapons.
Ilhan Omar previously said that Iran should target Trump properties.
Disgusting.
5:25 PM · Jan 10, 2020·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2020, 04:20:00 pm »
Reminder:
Ryan Fournier  @RyanAFournier
BREAKING: An armed Iranian national was just arrested at the Mar-a-Lago while carrying multiple weapons.
Ilhan Omar previously said that Iran should target Trump properties.
Disgusting.
5:25 PM · Jan 10, 2020·
Giving aid and comfort to the enemy....there's a word for that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2020, 05:00:14 pm »
Giving aid and comfort to the enemy....there's a word for that.
There was, but the dems banned it

Offline TomSea

« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2020, 05:43:25 pm »
The airliner being shot down is a great tragedy but it certainly breaks Iran's momentum in trying to exploit Suleimani's death for their own ends and big protests are over there, asking the regime to step down.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2020, 11:17:20 pm »
BenTallmadge
@BenKTallmadge
Britain's ambassador to Iran is ARRESTED after photographing protesters in Tehran clash with riot police as they demand the Ayatollah Resigns & calls for regime change -

https://twitter.com/BenKTallmadge/status/1216116681065418752

Britain's ambassador to Iran is ARRESTED for 'inciting' protesters in Tehran during clashes with riot police as they chant 'Death to liars' and demand the Ayatollah RESIGNS after country admits shooting down jet, killing 176 people

UK Ambassador to Iran Rob Macaire arrested tonight in Tehran for allegedly 'directing radical actions'

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab hit out at Iran over the 'flagrant violation of international law'

Demanded that the country make a choice between becoming a 'pariah' state or to 'deescalate tensions'

Protests broke out at four universities in Tehran on Saturday after admitting accidentally downing plane

Angry crowds demanded the Ayatollah's resignation and full investigation into the disaster

But regime forces cracked down hard on the demonstrators, firing tear gas into the crowds

Donald Trump has tweeted his support for 'long-suffering' Iranians, saying his administration is on their side 

By William Cole For Mailonline

Published: 15:59 EST, 11 January 2020 | Updated: 17:17 EST, 11 January 2020

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7877079/Britains-ambassador-Iran-ARRESTED-photographing-protesters-Tehran-clash.html

So, that's pretty radical news.

It mentions "Defence Secretary" of the UK, Dominic Raab, I believe he is of Indian heritage.

I'm surprised, UK has an ambassador to there,  we don't I'm sure.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:18:24 pm by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #370 on: January 11, 2020, 11:50:02 pm »
The airliner being shot down is a great tragedy but it certainly breaks Iran's momentum in trying to exploit Suleimani's death for their own ends and big protests are over there, asking the regime to step down.
In that sense, let us hope those people did not die in vain.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2020, 01:37:19 am »
How Quickly Could Iran Get a Nuclear Bomb?

A former National Nuclear Security Administration coordinator explains breakout time — and why it’s getting shorter.

On Sunday, Iran updated its public stance toward the nuclear limits it accepted in 2015 as part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA. “Iran’s nuclear program no longer faces any operational restrictions, including enrichment capacity, percentage of enrichment, amount of enriched material, and research and development,” its official statement said. This announcement was greeted with the expected questions:

Is Iran rushing to a nuclear bomb? How quickly could Iran get enough material for a bomb, often referred to as “breakout time”?

More at: https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/01/how-quickly-could-iran-get-bomb/162283/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2020, 01:43:00 am »
Justin Trudeau casts doubt on Iran's claim that shooting down of passenger jet was an 'accident' as he calls for full investigation and demands justice for families of 57 Canadian victims

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cast doubt on Iran's claim that it accidentally shot down a Urkranian jetliner early Wednesday

Whether the shoot-down of Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 was really an accident was still something that still needs to be determined, he said

Trudeau, speaking on Saturday at an update about the crash, which left 57 Canadians dead, said he was 'outraged and furious'

Iran claimed a missile operator opened fire on the Boeing 737 because his communications jammed and he thought he had to take out an incoming missile

By Ralph R. Ortega For Dailymail.com

Published: 13:49 EST, 11 January 2020 | Updated: 16:32 EST, 11 January 2020

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cast doubt on Iran's claim that it accidentally shot down a Ukrainian jetliner on Wednesday.

Trudeau said the shoot-down of Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 'is one of the issues that we certainly need better answers to,' during a news conference on Saturday.

Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7876767/Justin-Trudeau-casts-doubt-Irans-claim-Ukraine-jet-shot-accident.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2020, 08:08:19 pm »
It's definitely getting coverage, none of our soldiers or any other Americans hurt, a few (4) Iraqi troops hurt:

Rockets hit Iraq base hosting US troops: military

A volley of rockets slammed into an Iraqi airbase north of Baghdad where US forces have been based, wounding four local troops, the Iraqi military said on Sunday.

Its statement said eight Katyusha-type rockets landed on Al-Balad airbase, wounding two Iraqi officers and two airmen.

Al-Balad is the main airbase for Iraq's F-16s, which it bought from the US to upgrade its air capacities.

Read more at: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2020/1/12/rockets-hit-iraq-base-hosting-us-troops-military

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #374 on: January 13, 2020, 01:45:08 am »
Trump tweets support for Iranian protesters as they demand Khamenei quit

The Jerusalem Post By LEON SVERDLOV   JANUARY 12, 2020

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-News/Iranian-protesters-demand-Khamenei-quits-over-plane-downing-613857

After denials, Tehran admits “disastrous mistake,” saying air defenses were fired in error after Iranian missile strikes on US targets in Iraq

US President Donald Trump has tweeted his support to the people of Iran, saying "I've stood with you since the beginning of my Presidency."

Hundreds of Iranian protesters demanded Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei step down on Saturday after Tehran admitted that its military had mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian plane, killing all 176 people on board.

“Commander-in-chief [Khamenei] resign, resign,” videos posted on Twitter showed hundreds of people chanting in front of Tehran’s Amir Kabir university.