Author Topic: Marine Corps Authorizes Concealed Carry on Bases Following Recent Shootings  (Read 514 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   Marine Corps Authorizes Concealed Carry on Bases Following Recent Shootings
By Tobias Hoonhout

January 2, 2020 3:36 PM

The Marine Corps announced Tuesday that it was authorizing Marines and civilians in Marine Corps law enforcement roles to carry personal firearms while on base.

Lieutenant General George Smith, Deputy Commandant, Plans, Policies, and Operations, announced in a press release that the Marines were changing their policy following December shootings at Naval Air Station Pensacola and at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii, which left five dead.

“These tragic events prompted Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) to accelerate existing efforts to develop concealed carry policies,” the memo reads.

Marine Corps spokesman Captain Joseph Butterfield said that approximately 3,200 individuals will be eligible to carry their personal firearms under the new policy, according to the Washington Examiner. Before the change, only Marine Corps law enforcement officials were allowed to carry service weapons while performing on-duty tasks.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/marine-corps-authorizes-concealed-carry-on-bases-following-recent-shootings/?fbclid=IwAR2ngJlEBP-mtgm0X-rN8puBzFWRYA4zQfwP_eFpZKT1SBNznGE2VeJvmVs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
EXCELLENT News!  Should have happened long ago!

The Army and Navy should immediately follow the example!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:46:57 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sure looks like a step in the right direction to me. It's a free force multiplier for Security personnel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Don't know why they would authorize "concealed carry". There is no need to conceal anything.
Wear it on your hip like Matt Dillon. I see no need to hide my weapon on a military base.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
My best guess is some Admiral will slap them back down because only barbarians carry handguns.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Don't know why they would authorize "concealed carry". There is no need to conceal anything.
Wear it on your hip like Matt Dillon. I see no need to hide my weapon on a military base.

@240B

Yeah,but Air Force people aren't used to guns that are not mounted on aircraft. I once got on a flight in VN wearing a Swedish K vest and carrying a suppressed greasegun,as well as grenades and a K-Bar. I thought the load master was going to have a stroke when he spotted me. He immediately came over and told me "I am going to have to take that from you and lock it up!" I told him "You got THAT shit right!",and he calmed right down. IMHO,only a fool traveled around anywhere in VN unarmed in the 60's. I was traveling alone,and for all I knew I might have to hitchhike to get to where I was going after we landed.

The man is a loadmaster on a C-130 and has no doubt flown paratroop sticks around for jump training,and he's panicking over a lousy 45 caliber sub gun? I realize he was tasked with transport duty,but still.......
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:53:54 am by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
My best guess is some Admiral will slap them back down because only barbarians carry handguns.
In some branches they are called "officers". Real barbarians seem to prefer large edged weapons or AK-47s
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

Marine Corps Authorizes Concealed Carry on Bases Following Recent Shootings
By Tobias Hoonhout

January 2, 2020 3:36 PM

The Marine Corps announced Tuesday that it was authorizing Marines and civilians in Marine Corps law enforcement roles to carry personal firearms while on base.

Lieutenant General George Smith, Deputy Commandant, Plans, Policies, and Operations, announced in a press release that the Marines were changing their policy following December shootings at Naval Air Station Pensacola and at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii, which left five dead.

“These tragic events prompted Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) to accelerate existing efforts to develop concealed carry policies,” the memo reads.

Marine Corps spokesman Captain Joseph Butterfield said that approximately 3,200 individuals will be eligible to carry their personal firearms under the new policy, according to the Washington Examiner. Before the change, only Marine Corps law enforcement officials were allowed to carry service weapons while performing on-duty tasks.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/marine-corps-authorizes-concealed-carry-on-bases-following-recent-shootings/?fbclid=IwAR2ngJlEBP-mtgm0X-rN8puBzFWRYA4zQfwP_eFpZKT1SBNznGE2VeJvmVs

GOOD.  FINALLY.  Never made sense to me.

Offline LegalAmerican

EXCELLENT News!  Should have happened long ago!

The Army and Navy should immediately follow the example!

:thumbsup:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CONCEALED CARRY OF PRIVATELY OWNED FIREARMS FOR U.S. MARINE CORPS LAW ENFORCEMENT PROFESSIONALS

Date Signed: 12/31/2019 | MARADMINS Number: 719/19

https://www.marines.mil/News/Messages/Messages-Display/Article/2048873/concealed-carry-of-privately-owned-firearms-for-us-marine-corps-law-enforcement/

SUBJ/CONCEALED CARRY OF PRIVATELY OWNED FIREARMS FOR U.S. MARINE CORPS LAW ENFORCEMENT PROFESSIONALS//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1.  This MARADMIN authorizes qualified active Marine Corps Law Enforcement (LE) professionals who possess valid Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) 18 U.S.C. §926B credentials to carry concealed privately owned firearms (POF) aboard Marine Corps property in the United States and U.S. territories for personal protection not in the performance of official duties.

3.  SECNAVINST 5500.37 authorizes the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) to grant permission to Marine Corps uniformed and civilian personnel to carry a POF aboard Marine Corps property for personal protection not in the performance of official duties or status.  Through this MARADMIN, the CMC authorizes only Marine Corps LE professionals who possess valid LEOSA 18 U.S.C. §926B credentials to carry a concealed POF aboard Marine Corps property.  Marine Corps property are Marine Corps installations, bases, and stations in which the Marine Corps exercises primacy for LE functions.

4.  MCO 5580.4, “Implementation of the Amended LEOSA,” with changes captured in MARADMIN 470/18 and AMHS message DTG 231907Z Aug 18, codifies requirements for the concealed carry of a POF by Marine Corps LE professionals for personal protection not in the performance of official duties.  Per MCO 5580.4, Marine Corps LE professionals are defined as Military Police, Criminal Investigators, and Marine Corps Law Enforcement Program Police Officers who meet credentialing requirements for concealed carry of a POF for personal protection.
5.  This MARADMIN authorizes Marine Corps LE professionals, who maintain LEOSA 926B credentials, to carry a concealed POF aboard Marine Corps property while off-duty.  The authority of this MARADMIN does not extend to Marine Corps LE professionals on joint bases, on other Department of Defense (DOD) property under the cognizance of another DOD service, or on other federal facilities.  This MARADMIN does not authorize other DOD LE professionals to carry a concealed POF on Marine Corps property.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

:thumbsup:

@LegalAmerican

I have to be honest,here. Not only "No",but HELL NO!"

The typical soldier is about as familiar with weapons and shooting as is the typical child in kindergarten. They have seen a lot of it in movies,but know nothing about it personally.

The typical sailor is even worse and potentially more dangerous.

Restrict it to people in the combat arms branches or MP MOS's that actually handle weapons for a living,and I am in 100 percent agreement. Giving loaded handguns to the typical soldier or sailor is akin to handing them out to children.  I know. I have actually tried to teach support branch active duty soldiers how to shoot on a range,and it can be pretty damn scary. Seems like there was ALWAYS at least one accidental discharge from some bozo pulling the trigger and then saying "I'm sorry,I thought the safety was on!",just like that was an excuse. WTH was the bozo pulling the trigger to start with,safety or no safety? The FIRST rule you teach them is to treat ALL guns as if they are loaded with a round in the chamber,and to KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT!

And these are soldiers who have been through basic training,and all are over 18 years old.

Also,it takes more than a little bit of experience to be able to hit what you are shooting at,and to understand the dynamics of shooting in reference to backgrounds,when to shoot and when NOT to shoot,not shooting at innocents or hitting innocents by mistake,etc,etc,etc. The typical support branch soldier gets to shoot his issued rifle once a year at the annual qualification,and never even sees it again until the next year.

Don't forget,most of the people of today get all their firearms and gunfight knowledge from movies and tv shows,and think guns are some sort of magic wands that never miss,and that "spray and pray" is a sound tactical idea. I have actually gotten into arguments with real people who were genuinely mad the bad guy had been killed and wanted to know why the cop/security guard/armed citizen didn't "just shoot the gun out of his hand".