Author Topic: Why The Navy Should Have Never Built So Many Aircraft Carriers  (Read 209 times)

rangerrebew

Why The Navy Should Have Never Built So Many Aircraft Carriers
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:00:10 pm »
Why The Navy Should Have Never Built So Many Aircraft Carriers

David W. Wise
,The National Interest•January 1, 2020

Key point: Their survivability has been taken for granted.

“History,” it has been written, “does not repeat itself, but it rhymes.” Today it’s rhyming with Gen. Billy Mitchell. In the 1920s, Mitchell challenged conventional thinking by advocating air power at sea in the face of a naval establishment dominated by battleship proponents.

The hubris of the “battleship Navy” was such that just nine days before Pearl Harbor, the official program for the 1941 Army-Navy game displayed a full page photograph of the battleship USS Arizona with language virtually extolling its invincibility.

Of course, the reason that no one had yet sunk a battleship from the air — in combat — was that no one had yet tried.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-navy-never-built-many-050000735.html

Offline EdinVA

Re: Why The Navy Should Have Never Built So Many Aircraft Carriers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:08:01 pm »
Okay, and the point is, the Japanese sank the Arizona?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:18:30 pm »
1st let me say I didn't read the article.

2nd I like Air Craft Carriers.   They epitomize the greatness and the power of the United states. 

If you are an enemy,  and you see one of those badboys, you better put your brown khaki's on if you plan to do anything stupid.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 04:33:36 pm »
1st let me say I didn't read the article.

2nd I like Air Craft Carriers.   They epitomize the greatness and the power of the United states. 

If you are an enemy,  and you see one of those badboys, you better put your brown khaki's on if you plan to do anything stupid.

@The Ghost

Not if you have cruise missiles with nukes. The "Blue Sea Navy" will turn into "The Brown Sea Navy" when they find out those have launched against them.

Carriers are only a deterrent to Third World Nations now. To First World Nations,they are nothing more than juicy sitting ducks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!