Author Topic: USAF Para-Commandos  (Read 364 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
USAF Para-Commandos
« on: January 02, 2020, 03:24:46 pm »
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a28692306/us-air-force-pararescue-tamar-rescue-mission/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The Savior Elite: Inside the Special Operations Force Tasked with Rescuing Navy SEALS

They are the military’s “guardian angels.” They are trained paramedics, paratroopers, and combat divers. This is the story of one such airman, and the mission of a lifetime.
By Joshua St.Clair   
Dec 26, 2019

“RAMP DOOR!”

The jumpmaster screams the command over the roaring engine, and the back hatch of the HC-130 aircraft yawns open into night. A cold wind enters the cabin. It brushes past the seven airmen seated in rows, sending stray pieces of paper, fabric, and tape fluttering in the thin air. In front, the team leader, Sergeant St. Clair** looks out past the ramp door. He can see nothing. A low blanket of clouds blots out the moon and stars and erases the distinction between the black sky and the black Atlantic Ocean beneath. He turns back to his men, each strapped with over a hundred-and-fifty pounds of gear. Their faces are lit only by the lambent glow of chemlights.

“STAND UP!”

The seven airmen rise. At the next command—“HOOK UP!”—they clip their parachutes’ red static lines to a steel cable running over their heads.

Fifteen hundred feet below, their target: the Tamar, a commercial shipping vessel two thirds into its voyage from Baltimore to Gibraltar. Earlier that morning, there had been an explosion onboard, some unknown ignition that had set fire to four sailors working inside the hull. In his distress message, the ship’s captain wrote that the men had been burned from head to toe. They were in the middle of the Atlantic; the nearest land—the Azores Islands—was over five hundred miles to the east. They were out of range of both U.S. and Portuguese Coast Guard helicopters as well as rescue boats. The men’s injuries were severe, requiring expert attention. The captain’s message was routed from Lisbon to Portsmouth, then to Boston, and on to the airmen in Long Island. Within hours of the explosion, two of the sailors died. The two other men—charred, skin flayed—wait now without pain medicine.

Continued at link,and you will thank yourself for reading it.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: USAF Para-Commandos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:28:26 pm »
I am "Over the Moon" happy to post this,because it is WAAAY past time that these guys get some of the recognition they so richly deserve.

I have been telling people about them for years,but since they were never mentioned on teebee or in any books,nobody seemed to pay any attention. Truth to tell,I doubt most people in the USAF even know much about them,and they have one of the most physically and mentally demanding jobs in the world. Seriously.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 05:35:05 pm »
BTTT

I can't believe there is no interest in this.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 06:39:44 pm »
BTTT

My exposure to the PJ's was when they were the Jolly Greens (not sure if they still are).May 1975, after we covered the evacuations of SVN, Laos and Cambodia, the Kamer Ruge captured the USS Myaguez and the Jolly Greens left our base and headed to the rescue.This video is upon their return showing some of the battle damage from the Battle of Koh Tang island.Amazing people doing very dangerous stuff.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
More about the fiasco...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:44 pm »
BTTT

My understanding is, that each branch has SF people. They are all worthy of the utmost respect.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 11:41:04 pm »
My exposure to the PJ's was when they were the Jolly Greens (not sure if they still are).

The "Jolly Greens" are the old Sikorsky helicopters they fly in,not the men. They use these because unlike the modern helicopters,they can hover and land in a tiny hole in the jungle the same size as the helicopter. When the time comes to take off again,the pilot just winds it up,hit's the pitch,and they rise straight up in the air like a VERY fast express elevator.

The more modern Huey and similar designs can't do this. They need forward momentum to take off after landing.

We used to use those old Sikorsky helicopters a lot in SOG for insertion and rescue operations where a Huey couldn't go. The main negatives related to them were they only had a door to mount a machine gun on one side instead  on both sides like the Hueys. That means coming into or going out of a hot LZ,all they had to suppress enemy fire on the left side was the co-pilot leaning out the window and firing his 45 pistol. When the enemy are that close,another A6 Browning on that side of the helicopter would be a mighty nice thing to have.

They also seemed to leak a hell of a lot of hydraulic oil too,but that may have been because they were so old and the fitting were wearing out. Ours were flow by the SVN Air Force,and that might have had something to do with the leaks. IIRC,the USMC and the US Navy used them too. I don't remember what the USMC used them for,but the Navy used them to deliver people and mail to carriers and other ships at sea. They were really a Korean War-era helicopter by the 1960's,but we still had a lot of them on the books.

May 1975, after we covered the evacuations of SVN, Laos and Cambodia, the Kamer Ruge captured the USS Myaguez and the Jolly Greens left our base and headed to the rescue.This video is upon their return showing some of the battle damage from the Battle of Koh Tang island.Amazing people doing very dangerous stuff.
Yes,they were,and they never got ANY credit for what they were doing,either. Seriously dedicated people you could count on when you needed help. I never personally saw any in action in VN,Cambodia,or Laos when I was there,but I do know they were operating in North Vietnam to rescue shot down fighter-bomber pilots when possible. From what I was told back them,it was usually a team of 2 Air Commando's  on most of those rescue efforts. In extreme cases,they had a REALLY heavy round steel device that was flat on the top and came to a point on the bottom that they called "The Penetrator". When a pilot was in thick jungle and there was nowhere to land,they would just drop the penentrator through the trees to break limbs and create an opening so they could winch it,and the pilot,back up to safety. If the pilot was wounded and couldn't move,the Air Commando's would ride it down through the trees to treat him and strap him to it.

Ironically enough,the very first rescue effort in North Vietnam to save a pilot that had been shot down and known to have parachuted to safety was done by a US Army SOG recon team led by Billy Waugh,with Squirrel Sprouse as the assistant team leader. They had been tasked to teach the Navy (and the Marines that would be the ones on the ground) how to do this,and were working off of one of the carriers offshore. There were fast movers trying to provide air cover for the pilot and the backseater and keep the NVA away long enough for them to swoop in and rescue the pilot. I have no idea what happened to the backseater. If I ever knew,I forgot.

They landed nearby in a small clearing near the pilot,and took off running down the trail to try to get to him before the NVA could. They turned a corner in the trail and ran head-on into a NVA squad going after the pilot too,so they just gunned them down. Billy,or Squirrel,I can't remember which one now,took the pistol belt,pistol,and holster off the NVA officer,as well as any papers or maps he could find while the rest of the team set up security,and by then they could hear more NVA coming and shots being fired from where the pilot was,so they hauled ass back to the LZ and flew back to the carrier.

IIRC,the pilot was one of the first US POW's held in Hanoi,and when he was released 7 years or so later,Billy met up with him and gave him the pistol,pistol belt,and holster as a souvenir.  The pilot told him he knew they were close because he could hear all the shooting and the shouting in Vietnamese,but at about that time he was just swarmed and there was no way they could have rescued him.

Squirrel died several years ago,but the last I heard Billy was still alive and living in Fayetteville a couple of years ago.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
More about the fiasco...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:52:00 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:54:12 pm »
My understanding is, that each branch has SF people. They are all worthy of the utmost respect.

@truth_seeker

The part about each branch having SF people is NOT true. The ONLY Special Forces people are in the US Army. "Special Forces" and "Special OPERATIONS Forces" are NOT the same thing.

You are right about each branch being worthy of respect,though.