Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95933 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #975 on: July 18, 2020, 05:44:17 pm »
I had a lot of respect for Lewis up until the point where he lied about Tea Party members.  It went downhill from there.  While I still admire his earlier accomplishments, he has done a huge disservice over the last 30 years by refusing to hand over the legacy to the next generations.  And because of the egos of these so-called icons, today's generations have zero connection with the Civil Rights legacy other than the color of their skin.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #976 on: July 18, 2020, 06:22:29 pm »
Rep. John Lewis, lion of the civil rights movement, dies at 80

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rep-john-lewis-lion-civil-rights-movement-dies-80-n1109176

He died of pancreatic cancer. What a miserable death, I hope he’s at peace now,

@Gefn

He was a lucky man if he only suffered a couple of months. Most/lots of people suffer with cancer for years before it takes them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #977 on: July 18, 2020, 06:25:04 pm »
This John Lewis?

“Read the Republican contract....They’re coming for our children. They’re coming for the poor. They’re coming for the sick, the elderly and the disabled.”

Forgive me, if I don't shed any tears.

@dfwgator

I do get your point,but in MY opinion,the man was just stupid,not evil. It's no sin to be stupid.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #978 on: July 18, 2020, 07:36:46 pm »
From Erick Erickson, The Resurgent, in an e-mail:

John Lewis did not stop his partisanship from allowing him to have friendships with those with whom he had disagreements. He worked behind the scenes with Republicans to do what he could to help Georgia. He cultivated friendships with conservative members of congress with whom he could find no agreement on politics.

Contrast Lewis, a partisan Democrat who could be a bomb thrower against Republicans, with the fickle children running the
New York Times now. The very idea of friendship with political opponents is anathema to them. Lewis would have published Tom Cotton’s op-ed and condemned it with his own op-ed next to it.

He was a complex man whose on-camera appearances were deeply partisan for his side and whose off-camera work was congenial, bipartisan, and kind.

Nowadays people would call that being two-faced. People seem to think if you’re a partisan bomb-thrower in a radio ad or on television, that’s who you should be in person. But people and relationships are more complex, politics is weird, and John Lewis was a giant who earned his street cred getting the crap knocked out of him by white supremacists in the streets of the South when all he wanted was the right to sit in a restaurant.

John Lewis and I agreed on little in politics. I only met the man once, in passing, on a flight from Washington back to Atlanta. We shared a laugh about some political nonsense going on at the time. That was the only time we ever spoke to one another. But we spoke to one another and found a way to share a laugh.

Not enough people do that with their political opponents these days. We presume disagreement means the other side wants to destroy the country when sometimes it is just a disagreement.

That tells you something right there.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline verga

« Reply #979 on: July 18, 2020, 10:50:27 pm »
From Erick Erickson, The Resurgent, in an e-mail:

John Lewis did not stop his partisanship from allowing him to have friendships with those with whom he had disagreements. He worked behind the scenes with Republicans to do what he could to help Georgia. He cultivated friendships with conservative members of congress with whom he could find no agreement on politics.

Contrast Lewis, a partisan Democrat who could be a bomb thrower against Republicans, with the fickle children running the
New York Times now. The very idea of friendship with political opponents is anathema to them. Lewis would have published Tom Cotton’s op-ed and condemned it with his own op-ed next to it.

He was a complex man whose on-camera appearances were deeply partisan for his side and whose off-camera work was congenial, bipartisan, and kind.

Nowadays people would call that being two-faced. People seem to think if you’re a partisan bomb-thrower in a radio ad or on television, that’s who you should be in person. But people and relationships are more complex, politics is weird, and John Lewis was a giant who earned his street cred getting the crap knocked out of him by white supremacists in the streets of the South when all he wanted was the right to sit in a restaurant.

John Lewis and I agreed on little in politics. I only met the man once, in passing, on a flight from Washington back to Atlanta. We shared a laugh about some political nonsense going on at the time. That was the only time we ever spoke to one another. But we spoke to one another and found a way to share a laugh.

Not enough people do that with their political opponents these days. We presume disagreement means the other side wants to destroy the country when sometimes it is just a disagreement.

That tells you something right there.
Amen, not unlike the relationship between Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I have had several good friends that were on the complete opposite end of the political/ religious spectrum. It is possible to disagree with out being disagreeable.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #980 on: July 18, 2020, 10:56:54 pm »
Amen, not unlike the relationship between Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I have had several good friends that were on the complete opposite end of the political/ religious spectrum. It is possible to disagree with out being disagreeable.
Right. It's fairly simple. Keep the disagreement about the issue, not about the person. I knew a couple of liberals I'd engage in discussions about issues, and we'd sit and drink coffee the whole time. It wasn't about them, but the issues.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #981 on: July 19, 2020, 01:59:43 pm »
Right. It's fairly simple. Keep the disagreement about the issue, not about the person. I knew a couple of liberals I'd engage in discussions about issues, and we'd sit and drink coffee the whole time. It wasn't about them, but the issues.

For me personally, there is a limit to that. For example, until last year I had never UnFriended anyone on FB. I figured that if any Prog FB Friend REALLY could not stand my very occasional political-oriented posts they could UnFriend me. But then two FB Friends who know me better thought it a cool idea to insinuate that I'm a racist. So I UnFriended them.

Lewis was complex. He was significant in the Civil Rights Movement, which helped shove the Feds to do what they should have done decades earlier. OTOH, he was a prominent front-line race-baiter-for-political-gain in the last 2 or 3 decades of his life. He would have been out of my life for doing that were he a friend. There is no excusing slander of that magnitude.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #982 on: July 19, 2020, 02:08:46 pm »
@dfwgator

I do get your point,but in MY opinion,the man was just stupid,not evil. It's no sin to be stupid.

John Lewis was the civil rights movement in microcosm, which started out from the moral high ground and as it accomplished its objectives slowly became corrupt and began existing for its own benefit.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #983 on: July 19, 2020, 02:17:59 pm »
John Lewis was the civil rights movement in microcosm, which started out from the moral high ground and as it accomplished its objectives slowly became corrupt and began existing for its own benefit.

The old timers were admirable for the sacrifices they made.  Then the two extortionists, Al and Jessie came along.  Now we have terrorists destroying our cities and businesses.  What was once a profile in courage is now a criminal enterprise. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #984 on: July 19, 2020, 02:20:28 pm »

100% agree.  And if the events of the past few months wouldn't have happened, I 'd probably be more gracious, and positive sounding in my comments.  Then add his one of his last quote during the BLM rioting...  "Give Until you can't Give Anymore". 

That's how I'll remember the guy.  You know....  Last Impressions are often the most lasting.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #985 on: July 19, 2020, 03:36:59 pm »

@skeeter  :yowsa: Well said!

Offline Mod1

« Reply #986 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:19 pm »
We're getting off the track here, folks. This thread is for obits, not for wideranging discussions of the failings of other individuals. Start another thread if you want to debate the merits of MLK, Jr., and his associates.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #987 on: July 19, 2020, 09:58:02 pm »
In any event, this thread was meant to honor and remember the dead -- in this case, John Lewis -  not to argue over what amounts to unproven conspiracy theories about Dr. King.  Honor Mr. Lewis or don't honor him.  I don't care.  But let's respect @jmyrlefuller who runs this thread and get it back on track.
I appreciate the sentiment, though I am a mere caretaker.

But yes, Lewis's political motivations aside, let's keep discussions at hand to the deceased. I don't mind going off-track a little bit, but try not to totally derail. :beer:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #988 on: July 19, 2020, 10:04:00 pm »
We're getting off the track here, folks. This thread is for obits, not for wideranging discussions of the failings of other individuals. Start another thread if you want to debate the merits of MLK, Jr., and his associates.

I split the whole page of comments about MLK into a new thread to fight on.  "MLK, Good Guy or Bad?"

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,408795.0.html

MLK died in 1968, and this thread is for current Obits.  Any further comments about MLK will be simply deleted.  TIA
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #989 on: July 19, 2020, 10:41:24 pm »
Thank you @Cyber Liberty

And @jmyrlefuller :

:beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #990 on: July 19, 2020, 10:43:45 pm »
Thank you @Cyber Liberty

And @jmyrlefuller :

:beer:

Most welcome.  I was out of town for the annual Mohave County GOP Picnic in the mountains (cool weather, yay!), and I didn't see this mess until I got back in town.  I am sure nobody is miffed at me for the cleanup.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #991 on: July 19, 2020, 10:53:06 pm »
Most welcome.  I was out of town for the annual Mohave County GOP Picnic in the mountains (cool weather, yay!), and I didn't see this mess until I got back in town.  I am sure nobody is miffed at me for the cleanup.

I'm jealous -- cool, mountain air.  Too bad you couldn't send that to me.  94 degrees here.  LOL

And if anyone squawks about moving the arguments over MLK to a separate thread, send them to me.  I will give them one of these:   ****slapping

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #992 on: July 20, 2020, 03:50:22 am »
I appreciate the sentiment, though I am a mere caretaker.

But yes, Lewis's political motivations aside, let's keep discussions at hand to the deceased. I don't mind going off-track a little bit, but try not to totally derail. :beer:

@jmyrlefuller

For the record,I considered Lewis to be fairly honest for a politician.

Nobody can question his courage or dedication,even if you might not have liked his methods.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #993 on: July 20, 2020, 11:05:02 am »
Does anyone have a photo of Lewis with a smile? I am sure there are plenty
but I haven't seen any. He seemed to have that tough survival look.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:06:34 am by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #994 on: July 22, 2020, 11:20:32 pm »
Charles Evers, civil rights icon and brother of Medgar Evers, dies at 97
Evers, the first Black elected mayor of a Mississippi city, had been a gun-toting bootlegger, a numbers-runner and a pimp in Chicago before returning to Mississippi after his brother was assassinated in June 1963.
By USA TODAY Jul 22, 2020, 2:46pm CDT
Jimmie E. Gates

JACKSON, Miss. – Civil rights icon Charles Evers, the first Black elected mayor of a Mississippi city and brother of Medgar Evers, has died at the age of 97.

Evers became the first black mayor of a Mississippi town or city since reconstruction when he was elected mayor of Fayette in 1969.

Evers died Wednesday surrounded by family at his Rankin County home, according to the Rankin County coroner. ...
More at Chicago Sun-Times

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
I am deeply saddened by the loss of my friend Charles Evers. Charles was a trail blazer in politics and a fearless leader, alongside his brother Medgar, for Civil Rights.

6:46 PM · Jul 22, 2020
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #995 on: July 23, 2020, 02:27:38 am »
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
I am deeply saddened by the loss of my friend Charles Evers. Charles was a trail blazer in politics and a fearless leader, alongside his brother Medgar, for Civil Rights.
6:46 PM · Jul 22, 2020

Charles Evers was a great man.  He stood up to the race pimps.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #996 on: July 23, 2020, 04:36:40 am »
Seems like the 'old guard' is checking out, just in time for 'the movement' to be co-opted by The current crop of Marxists.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #997 on: July 23, 2020, 04:44:13 am »
Does anyone have a photo of Lewis with a smile? .

@Slide Rule

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:45:45 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2020, 10:46:02 am »
Thanks. I had only seen him with a scowl in photos and video.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #999 on: July 23, 2020, 02:01:43 pm »

@Hoodat

Why not? He WAS an actual pimp at one time. Who better to represent freedom,equality,and women's rights than a pimp?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:02:41 pm by sneakypete »