Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96189 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #550 on: April 11, 2020, 01:52:03 am »
I still have a stack of Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers magazines in my closet. Best enjoyed while smoking stuff I no longer smoke. Far out, man.
I never smoked dope, but I still found the FFFBs hilarious. Gilbert Shelton is maybe the greatest almost totally unknown comic strip writer ever.
I also read a lot of Crumb. Much of his biographical stuff is hilarious  even though he's a total liberal wimp. His digs at feminists are fun to read.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #551 on: April 11, 2020, 02:38:54 am »
I never smoked dope, but I still found the FFFBs hilarious. Gilbert Shelton is maybe the greatest almost totally unknown comic strip writer ever.
I also read a lot of Crumb. Much of his biographical stuff is hilarious  even though he's a total liberal wimp. His digs at feminists are fun to read.
@goatprairie

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #552 on: April 11, 2020, 02:46:44 am »
My mother threw out all my baseball cards ( a number of them very valuable) and all my comic books including early Marvel Comics also valuable. When I asked her why she did it, she replied, "I didn't think you wanted them anymore." They were all stored in a special cabinet in my room. They were in no way cluttering up the room or the house. She never asked me if I wanted to keep them.
Thanks a lot mom.
I love the "logic" of the people who throw your things away because they thought (without asking you if you wanted to keep them) that you've already read them.
Well then, we should be able to throw out things they've used, like records, tapes, etc. because they've already heard them.

@goatprairie

Since I am still mad about this decades later,I obviously agree with your anger,but your suggestion wouldn't work with either of my parents because they never had anything they didn't actually need right THEN until they were adults. My mother and her little sister were orphaned when she was 8 by the flu,and sent to l live with someone who needed domestic help,and my father had to quit school in the 3rd grade after his father died. He went to work in a shipyard as a laborer to help his mother feed his younger brothers and sister.

Neither ever had anything they didn't need until they were in their 30's.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #553 on: April 11, 2020, 03:16:03 am »
My mother threw out all my baseball cards ( a number of them very valuable) and all my comic books including early Marvel Comics also valuable. When I asked her why she did it, she replied, "I didn't think you wanted them anymore." They were all stored in a special cabinet in my room. They were in no way cluttering up the room or the house. She never asked me if I wanted to keep them.
Thanks a lot mom.
Child abuse!!  wink777

I love the "logic" of the people who throw your things away because they thought (without asking you if you wanted to keep them) that you've already read them.
Well then, we should be able to throw out things they've used, like records, tapes, etc. because they've already heard them.
I didn't have to go that far. All I ever had to do was remind my mother that any generation who could make a hit out of "Mairzy Doats" had no business talking about my music!  wink777

Guaranteed to keep her meathooks off my music library.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:17:26 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #554 on: April 11, 2020, 03:26:12 am »
Child abuse!!  wink777
I didn't have to go that far. All I ever had to do was remind my mother that any generation who could make a hit out of "Mairzy Doats" had no business talking about my music!  wink777

Guaranteed to keep her meathooks off my music library.
Of all the old things I wish I still had, the photos of a Braves-Dodgers game at Milwaukee County Stadium in 1960 are the things I miss the most.
I went down to the railing and took five or six pictures of Eddie Mathews batting against Don Drysdale that turned out perfect. What happened to them years later I do not know.
I remember after taking the snaps turning around to go back to my seat where my father and my older brother were sitting (about 20-30 rows back of the first base dugout) and seeing all these people in the stands looking at me. I'm sure they thought "what a nervy little kid."
Ten years old at the time.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #555 on: April 11, 2020, 03:46:35 am »
Of all the old things I wish I still had, the photos of a Braves-Dodgers game at Milwaukee County Stadium in 1960 are the things I miss the most.
I went down to the railing and took five or six pictures of Eddie Mathews batting against Don Drysdale that turned out perfect. What happened to them years later I do not know.
I remember after taking the snaps turning around to go back to my seat where my father and my older brother were sitting (about 20-30 rows back of the first base dugout) and seeing all these people in the stands looking at me. I'm sure they thought "what a nervy little kid."
Ten years old at the time.
Thank God for telephoto lenses. I got to take this of a certain Dodger a few years ago . . . from down the right field line . . . moments before an Angel named Kole Calhoun took him over the out-of-town scoreboard under the right field bleachers . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #556 on: April 11, 2020, 03:50:03 am »
@goatprairie
Took this a year later . . . from the same area down the right field line . . .

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #557 on: April 11, 2020, 03:09:32 pm »
Colby Cave, Edmonton Oilers forward who had been in coma due to brain bleed, dies at 25
By Andy Clayton
New York Daily News |
Apr 11, 2020 | 10:59 AM

Edmonton Oilers forward Colby Cave has died due to the brain bleed he suffered earlier in the week. He was 25.

“It is with great sadness to share the news that our Colby Cave passed away early this morning,” his family said in a statement. "I (Emily) and both our families are in shock but know our Colby was loved dearly by us, his family and friends, the entire hockey community, and many more.  ...

The Battleford, Saskatchewan native had been airlifted to a Toronto hospital on Tuesday where he underwent emergency surgery. A colloid cyst was causing pressure on his brain. The young NHLer had then been placed in a medically induced coma. ...
NY Daily News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #558 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:58 pm »
‘M*A*S*H’ actor Timothy Brown dies aged 82 following dementia complications
By Jami Ganz
New York Daily News |
Apr 10, 2020 | 2:17 PM

“M*A*S*H” actor Timothy Brown has died at 82.

The actor and former NFL running back died Saturday following complications related to dementia, Fox News reported Friday. ...

In the film, he played Cpl. Judson, and in the series, he played Capt. Oliver Harmon “Spearchucker” Jones, who was written out after season one. ...

He played in the NFL for the Green Bay Packers, the Philadelphia Eagles, and the Baltimore Colts.  ...

Daily News

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #559 on: April 11, 2020, 03:37:03 pm »
Wow. The Tom Dempsey obit talked about dementia, this with Timothy Brown, former NFLer, talks about dementia.  Not good signs. I know of another case that is similar. I've loved the sport but it seems to happen to often.  Rest in peace, both of them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:40:47 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #560 on: April 11, 2020, 05:48:15 pm »
‘M*A*S*H’ actor Timothy Brown dies aged 82 following dementia complications

@mountaineer

82 years old is a good run for someone that played professional feetsball. They get smacked around a great deal.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2020, 05:51:04 pm »
Wow. The Tom Dempsey obit talked about dementia, this with Timothy Brown, former NFLer, talks about dementia.  Not good signs. I know of another case that is similar. I've loved the sport but it seems to happen to often.  Rest in peace, both of them.

@TomSea

Why is anyone surprised about this? It is the natural result of having your "bell rung" too many times.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2020, 06:03:24 pm »
@mountaineer

82 years old is a good run for someone that played professional feetsball. They get smacked around a great deal.

Can you imagine Hollywood making a movie now where one of the character's name is "Spear Chunker"?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2020, 06:05:23 pm »
Can you imagine Hollywood making a movie now where one of the character's name is "Spear Chunker"?

@catfish1957

Nope,de lawsoots,day bees a-fly-IN!

Back then practically everyone was capable of recognizing humor.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #564 on: April 11, 2020, 06:11:02 pm »

@goatprairie

I was there (Atlanta) in '69 when Rico Carty came back from TB.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:21:04 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Applewood

« Reply #565 on: April 11, 2020, 06:11:47 pm »

it's like Blazing Saddles.  The delicate snowflakes today would be rioting in the streets over a movie like that. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #566 on: April 11, 2020, 07:20:17 pm »
@goatprairie

I was there (Atlanta) in '69 when Rico Carty came back from TB.
You forgot someone . . .  wink777

Offline TomSea

« Reply #567 on: April 11, 2020, 07:27:33 pm »
Colby Cave, Edmonton Oilers forward who had been in coma due to brain bleed, dies at 25
By Andy Clayton
New York Daily News |
Apr 11, 2020 | 10:59 AMNY Daily News

That's very sad. Rest in peace.

Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colby_Cave

Just suffered this brain bleed days ago in April. More brain trauma? Rest in peace. Sad.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:29:14 pm by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #568 on: April 12, 2020, 01:28:17 pm »
Mark Steyn writes of Linda Tripp:
...   She was a not unattractive woman, but the left is unforgiving to those who refuse to overlook their heroes' pathologies (as we're currently seeing with Joe Biden's accuser), so Linda was turned into the pantomime dame of the cast: "Saturday Night Live" hired John Goodman to play her for the duration. Terminated by the federal government, she retreated to life as the proprietor of a German-themed Christmas shop - until, as with a remarkable number of those who cross the Clintons, she predeceased them.    ...

Mrs Clinton has done her best to surround her husband with only the most fearsome specimens of the fairer sex, from Madeleine Albright to Janet Reno. But you could nail a government health warning to the White House door - 'Abandon hope all ye who intern here' - and some impressionable young coed would always break through. ...
Entire piece at Steyn Online

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #569 on: April 12, 2020, 04:40:28 pm »
You forgot someone . . .  wink777

Great photos...thanks a big heap. Or in this case, an un-p.c. heap big thanks.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #570 on: April 12, 2020, 05:02:36 pm »
Eagles Great, NFL Champion Pete Retzlaff Dies at Age 88
Only six players in franchise history have made more Pro Bowls than Pete Retzlaff, who also served as the Eagles' general manager from 1969 to 1972
By Reuben Frank • Published April 10, 2020

Pete Retzlaff, who never caught a pass in college but caught 452 of them during his brilliant 11-year career with the Eagles, died Friday.

He was 88.

Retzlaff, whose No. 44 is one of only nine numbers retired by the Eagles, was a five-time Pro Bowler, first-team all-pro and 1989 inductee into the Eagles Hall of Fame.

Read more at:  https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/eagles/eagles-great-nfl-champion-pete-retzlaff-dies-at-age-88/2359788/

Wikipedia

2nd from left, with Sonny Jurgenson, 1st.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:07:08 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2020, 06:50:43 pm »
Former Chicago Cubs infielder Glenn Beckert dies at 79
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/cubs/2020/04/12/glenn-beckert-four-time-all-star-infielder-cubs-dies-79/2978934001/

Second baseman Glenn Beckert, a mainstay on the Chicago Cubs infield from 1965-73, has died at age 79.

The Cubs confirmed Beckert's death in a social media post on Sunday morning.

Beckert won a Gold Glove award for his fielding excellence in 1968, when he also led the National League with 98 runs scored and finished ninth in the NL MVP balloting. He was also named to four consecutive NL All-Star teams, starting in 1969.

The Cubs traded Beckert to the San Diego Padres after the 1973 season and he played the final two years of his career in San Diego.

Over nine seasons in the majors, Beckert complied 1,473 hits, scored 685 runs and finished with a .283 average . . .
Made a terrific keystone partner with good-field/no-hit shortstop Don Kessinger.

RIP.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #572 on: April 13, 2020, 03:12:46 pm »
T-Jack has passed away in a car accident:

NFL STAR KILLED Ex-Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson dead at 36 following car crash in Alabama
Breaking

Mollie Mansfield

Apr 13 2020, 9:57 ETUpdated: Apr 13 2020, 10:53 ET

Former Super Bowl Champion Tarvaris Jackson has died at age 36 following a car crash in the NFL star's hometown.

The former Minnesota Vikings quarterback was involved in a wreck in Alabama on Sunday night, RapSheet reported.

Responding to the news, Jackson's former Seattle Seahawks teammate Richard Sherman tweeted crying emoji's.

Read more at:  https://www.the-sun.com/sport/676246/nfl-tarvaris-jackson-dead/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2020, 04:05:51 pm »
Former Chicago Cubs infielder Glenn Beckert dies at 79
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/cubs/2020/04/12/glenn-beckert-four-time-all-star-infielder-cubs-dies-79/2978934001/
Made a terrific keystone partner with good-field/no-hit shortstop Don Kessinger.

RIP.
I wonder if they ever did one of those analytic things contrasting a good hitting-fair defensive SS vs. a great fielding-light hitting one.
Kessinger, Jerry Kindall, Mark Belanger were some of those skinny SSs.
vs. the Honus Wagner- Cal Ripken types.
According to photos and descriptions, Wagner was built like an ape....huge chest, bow legs, long arms, huge hands....it would sure been interesting to see him play.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #574 on: April 13, 2020, 05:08:33 pm »
I wonder if they ever did one of those analytic things contrasting a good hitting-fair defensive SS vs. a great fielding-light hitting one.
Bill James did a few times, in his old annual Baseball Abstracts and in The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract.