Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95804 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2020, 06:52:11 pm »
Joe Rollino, Coney Island Strongman, World War II hero died at 104 years old in 2010, he was out for his morning walk and a van hit him... so these things are not all that rare of occurrences, maybe we are more aware because of the ages of these men.  Look at all of the bike accidents however, I think when you are starting to get that old, maybe be more observant. Your hearing may not be as good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rollino

Joseph Rollino (March 19, 1905 – January 11, 2010) was a decorated World War II veteran, weightlifter, and strongman. The son of Italian immigrants, Rollino dubbed himself the world's strongest man in the 1920s, moving 3,200 pounds (1,500 kg) with his back during the prime of his career.[1]

He was a vegetarian, he got that from his mom who was born in Italy. He did one of those polar bear plunges,  I've heard recorded history where interviewed, his paths and Marlon Brando's did cross, So, he was quite a man.

And by the way, it doesn't really matter, tall or short but I do think you'd say he was a pretty short man at that. 5'4", something in that range.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:59:03 pm by TomSea »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2020, 07:25:16 pm »
Mr. M.'s uncle, who survived a Nazi concentration camp, died at age 91 after being struck by a car operated by an inattentive driver.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

"C list actor"?????

Hell,even I instantly knew who you were talking about when you mentioned his name,and I am hardly a "fan boy" of tv and movie stars.

Seems like a shirty way to describe someone in their obit.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2020, 07:58:01 pm »
Apparently he was "collateral damage" from a two-car collision.  He was probably walking down a sidewalk, minding his own business.

Yes.... it looks that way.

Still a sad way to die after living so long.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2020, 09:04:09 pm »
It wasn't my intent to disrespect the man. Sometimes I just word things awkwardly.

The entertainment world needs the C-listers just as much as the A-listers, after all!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2020, 09:12:34 pm »
It wasn't my intent to disrespect the man. Sometimes I just word things awkwardly.

The entertainment world needs the C-listers just as much as the A-listers, after all!

Didn't intend to chide you personally - I thought the term came from the Daily Mail.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2020, 09:14:19 pm »

And he was damned good at it!   He was a big actor.

("There are no small parts, only small actors.")
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2020, 10:12:18 pm »
IIRC, he was a regular on the game show "To Tell the Truth", and I knew who he was, too. Perhaps "Television Celebrity" would have been more accurate, despite his relatively minor film roles. But one look at his IMDB page, and it is unreal just how busy he was between film roles and television, and that was just part of it.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2020, 11:18:26 pm »
Robert Conrad of the 'Wild, Wild West' has passed on....84, did he do a show, "Black Sheep Squadron" or something as well? Updating.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-conrad-dead-wild-wild-west-action-star-was-84-1119262

Robert Conrad, Star of TV's 'The Wild Wild West,' Dies at 84
2:23 PM PST 2/8/2020 by Mike Barnes and Duane Byrge

Photofest
Robert Conrad
Renowned for doing his own stunts, he also starred on such shows as 'Hawaiian Eye' and 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' and on the miniseries 'Centennial.'

Robert Conrad, the athletic, two-fisted actor who starred as Secret Service agent James West and did his own spectacular stunts on the 1960s futuristic CBS Western The Wild Wild West, has died. He was 84.

"He lived a wonderfully long life and while the family is saddened by his passing, he will live forever in their hearts," family spokesman Jeff Ballard told People magazine. No other details of his death were immediately available.

More at above link.

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:21:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2020, 11:20:24 pm »
Robert Conrad of the 'Wild, Wild West' has passed on....84, did he do a show, "Black Sheep Squadron" or something as well? Updating.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-conrad-dead-wild-wild-west-action-star-was-84-1119262

Yep, starred as Pappy Boyington.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073961/
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2020, 11:26:05 pm »

@skeeter

No kidding.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2020, 11:26:08 pm »
Robert Conrad, Star of Television Series The Wild Wild West, Dies at 84

Robert Conrad, the actor best known for his role in the television show The Wild Wild West, has died. He was 84.
Born in Chicago, Illinois on March 1, 1935, Conrad worked as a milkman while pursuing a career as a local nightclub singer before moving to Los Angeles in 1958 and booking his first big recurring role on Hawaiian Eye in 1959.

After Hawaiian Eye, the actor went on to star as Secret Service agent James T. West in The Wild Wild West, which ran from 1965 to 1969. The show followed the characters of West and Artemus Gordon as the country’s first Secret Service agents exploring the west during the Ulysses S. Grant administration.

After the success of The Wild Wild West, Conrad starred in other television shows including The D.A., Assignment: Vienna, Centennial and Baa Baa Black Sheep (which was later syndicated as Black Sheep Squadron.)

https://people.com/tv/robert-conrad-dead-at-84/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2020, 11:42:02 pm »
Robert Conrad?  OMG!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2020, 11:54:27 pm »
Also known for

Offline musiclady

« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2020, 12:21:35 am »
LOVED the Wild Wild West.  It was SO creative.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2020, 12:23:55 am »
A small private service is scheduled for March 1, which would have been Conrad’s 85th birthday. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Wounded Warrior Project and The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation.

This is neat.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2020, 02:23:45 am »

Wikipedia
crap. Another one from my childhood.

I wish this would stop happening.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2020, 03:25:56 pm »
James Joyce’s grandson Stephen Joyce, subject of poem ‘Ecce Puer,’ dead at 87
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-james-joyce-grandson-dead-20200209-3qjecushvffudbwyxhudhmyviy-story.html

Offline mrclose

« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2020, 11:03:46 pm »
crap. Another one from my childhood.

I wish this would stop happening.

@skeeter

I met and became a life long friend of his back in 1978.

I was managing a beach front piano bar/restaurant for a high school buddy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
(The Sly Fox on the Galt Ocean Mile)

Bob use to visit whenever he was in town and we'd sit and talk til closing.

Sometimes we would go out 'bar hopping' after I closed our place.

He was a fun guy but quick to anger.

I will miss him.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline skeeter

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2020, 11:11:59 pm »
@skeeter

I was managing a beach front piano bar/restaurant for a high school buddy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I will miss him.

He seemed in character just as you described him personally. I remember him competing in a footrace against Gabe Kaplan in Battle of the Network Stars, some seventies reality thing, he looked as though he was ready to rip Kaplan's head off.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2020, 11:21:46 pm »
@skeeter

I will miss him.

I remember him from "Battle of the Network Stars", he took it pretty seriously, you can tell he was a guy who didn't like to lose at anything.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2020, 11:48:24 pm »
Robert Conrad was in a Colombo where he was a fitness nut, health guru or something like that who pulled off a murder (his wife) and Colombo got involved. This looks like it is dubbed in French but it was this episode.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

An Exercise in Fatality
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072802/

And here is a clip in English from Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/332829727

Columbo rage: An Exercise in Fatality on Vimeo

Online mountaineer

« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2020, 12:13:15 pm »
Noted jazz keyboardist Lyle Mays dies at 66
By Robert Jablon | AP
Feb. 11, 2020 at 1:27 a.m. EST

LOS ANGELES — Lyle Mays, a jazz keyboardist whose work, chiefly with the Pat Metheny Group, won nearly a dozen Grammy Awards, died Monday in Los Angeles, it was announced. He was 66.

Mays had a “long battle with a recurring illness,” according to Pat Metheny’s website.  ...WashPost

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:17:26 pm by mountaineer »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2020, 03:19:06 pm »
By Robert Jablon | AP

LOS ANGELES — Lyle Mays, a jazz keyboardist whose work, chiefly with the Pat Metheny Group, won nearly a dozen Grammy Awards, died Monday in Los Angeles, it was announced. He was 66.

Mays had a “long battle with a recurring illness,” according to Pat Metheny’s website.  ...WashPost

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@mountaineer

DAMN! How old was he when he started playing with them,10?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:42 pm »
By Robert Jablon | AP

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

This is devastating news,  the Pat Metheny Group has literally been the 'soundtrack of my life' for the last 40 years.    I'll never forget that first time I heard San Lorenzo.