Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95964 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1525 on: December 27, 2020, 04:46:04 am »
https://bluegrasstoday.com/tony-rice-passes/

Tony Rice passes
Posted on December 26, 2020 By John Lawless

Tony Rice, surely the most influential guitarist and vocalist in the history of bluegrass music, died on Christmas morning. He was 69 years of age, and died swiftly without pain.

Tony changed forever the way bluegrass guitar is played, both as a lead and an accompaniment instrument. Audiences saw hints of his genius during his stint with Bluegrass Alliance in the early 1970s, but it appeared fully formed with J.D. Crowe & The New South in 1975 on their classic recording for Rounder Records, known colloquially by its catalog number, 0044.

Those of us fortunate to be alive at that time will clearly remember the first time we heard it. By the end of the banjo intro to Old Home Place, it was obvious that something new and different was going on. Rice’s guitar filled the track from top to bottom and side to side with an aggressive rhythm style that brought together the power of Jimmy Martin and Del McCoury, with the dexterity and grace of Clarence White. It propelled the band forward like nothing we had heard before.

More at URL above...

Tony "changed the music" as much as did Earl Scruggs.
One of the greatest acoustic guitar players of all time.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1526 on: December 27, 2020, 10:00:05 pm »
Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro, famous for signature knuckleball, dies at 81
ESPN

Phil Niekro, a pitcher who used his signature knuckleball to fool generations of hitters and craft a Hall of Fame career, died Saturday night in his sleep after a long battle with cancer, the Atlanta Braves announced Sunday. He was 81.

Niekro, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1997, was one of baseball's most prolific and durable pitchers, using his "butterfly" pitch to win 318 games in a career that spanned 24 seasons, including 21 with the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves.

"We are heartbroken on the passing of our treasured friend, Phil Niekro," the Braves said in a statement. "Knucksie was woven into the Braves fabric, first in Milwaukee and then in Atlanta. Phil baffled batters on the field and later was always the first to join in our community activities. It was during those community and fan activities where he would communicate with fans as if they were long lost friends.

"He was a constant presence over the years, in our clubhouse, our alumni activities and throughout Braves Country and we will forever be grateful for having him be such an important part of our organization.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Nancy, sons Philip, John and Michael and his two grandchildren Chase and Emma."

Niekro's sweet Hall of Fame induction speech in 1997:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

A story: When Niekro was a Yankee, his manager for a time was Lou Piniella. One night on the road, Piniella and some friends were having late drinks in the hotel bar when the party saw Niekro returning to the hotel. When asked whether Niekro was past the team's road curfew, Piniella chuckled. "Aw, hell, I can't tell Knucksie to go to bed," he said. "He's older than I am!"

RIP to a great pitcher and a good man.

Unfortunately, that makes seven Hall of Famers who've gone to the Elysian Fields this year. (Including four pitchers: Niekro, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, and Tom Seaver. Bet you could win a pennant with a rotation like that!) If the Modern Era Committee elects Dick Allen to the Hall of Fame next year, it'll make eight. (Allen died on 8 December.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1527 on: December 28, 2020, 06:47:08 am »
Phil Niekro was my childhood hero.  It was tough being a Braves fan back then.  But you could pay $3 and sit anywhere you like.  I'm still pissed off at Joe Torre for chasing him off.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Knox27

« Reply #1528 on: December 28, 2020, 06:55:15 am »
He gave up the only homerun Joe niekro ever hit.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1529 on: December 28, 2020, 02:40:30 pm »
The Niekro brothers were from my area. The Ohio Valley is mourning.  Phil really was one of "our own," who never forgot his roots.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1530 on: December 28, 2020, 04:49:38 pm »
His last game in Atlanta.  The story I heard was,  The mouth of the south signed him to a 1 day contract for $1 to end his career in Atlanta  @EasyAce would know the real story!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #1531 on: December 28, 2020, 04:53:56 pm »
Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro, famous for signature knuckleball, dies at 81

8888crybaby
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1532 on: December 28, 2020, 05:47:36 pm »
His last game in Atlanta.  The story I heard was,  The mouth of the south signed him to a 1 day contract for $1 to end his career in Atlanta  @EasyAce would know the real story!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
@Wingnut
EasyAce does know the real story---it's true. Ted Turner was more than willing to let Niekro suit up once more to pitch a game and retire as a Brave. Knucksie himself told it in his Hall of Fame induction speech---one day contract, one dollar, one more game.

Bookends: As a rookie in 1964, Niekro's teammates included Hall of Famer Warren Spahn. When he suited up that last time for the Braves, his teammates included another lefthander bound for Cooperstown---Tom Glavine.

Glavine likes to kid that when he saw Niekro the first time in camp, he thought he'd gotten his plans crossed up and landed at a Braves fantasy camp instead of spring training.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1533 on: December 28, 2020, 05:52:59 pm »
Phil Niekro was my childhood hero.  It was tough being a Braves fan back then.  But you could pay $3 and sit anywhere you like.  I'm still pissed off at Joe Torre for chasing him off.
@Hoodat
I've always felt apologetic that my 1969 Mets slapped Knucksie silly in Game One of the 1969 National League Championship Series. (The Mets won, 9-5; five of the runs they pried out of Niekro were unearned.) There was probably no nicer guy ever to wear a Braves uniform than Niekro, unless it was Dale Murphy.

And there's a tale: When Murphy was a rookie in 1976, he came up as a catcher. He caught Niekro against the Big Red Machine and they took a no-hitter into the ninth, until Cesar Geronimo hit a shuttlecock over third base into short left. To this day, Murphy will tell you he was petrified of trying to catch the Niekro knuckleball. He'll also tell you Niekro helped put him at ease by saying, "Just give me the knuckleball sign. If I don't want to throw it, I'll shake you off." But you might understand if Murphy thought being moved to the outfield was like liberation day.

There were times I needed a tennis racquet to hit him.---Bob Boone.

Trying to hit Phil Niekro is like trying to eat Jell-O with chopsticks.---Bobby Murcer.

Catching Niekro’s knuckleball was great. I got to meet a lot of important people. They all sat behind home plate.---Bob Uecker.

Uecker was also behind the plate for Niekro the day he pitched against his knuckleballing brother Joe for the first time. "Their parents were at the game sitting behind home plate," Uecker said. "I saw more of their parents than they did all weekend."

It giggled at you when it went by.---Rick Monday, on the Niekro knuckler. Appropriate remark, too, considering when Niekro was born: April Fool's Day, 1939.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:54:30 pm by EasyAce »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1534 on: December 28, 2020, 07:14:26 pm »
Catching Niekro’s knuckleball was great. I got to meet a lot of important people. They all sat behind home plate.---Bob Uecker.

Uecker was also behind the plate for Niekro the day he pitched against his knuckleballing brother Joe for the first time. "Their parents were at the game sitting behind home plate," Uecker said. "I saw more of their parents than they did all weekend."

Uecker also once said that the easiest way to handle the knuckleball was to wait for it to stop rolling.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1535 on: December 29, 2020, 12:53:45 am »
https://bluegrasstoday.com/tony-rice-passes/

Tony Rice passes
Posted on December 26, 2020 By John Lawless

Tony Rice, surely the most influential guitarist and vocalist in the history of bluegrass music, died on Christmas morning. He was 69 years of age, and died swiftly without pain.

Tony changed forever the way bluegrass guitar is played, both as a lead and an accompaniment instrument. Audiences saw hints of his genius during his stint with Bluegrass Alliance in the early 1970s, but it appeared fully formed with J.D. Crowe & The New South in 1975 on their classic recording for Rounder Records, known colloquially by its catalog number, 0044.

Those of us fortunate to be alive at that time will clearly remember the first time we heard it. By the end of the banjo intro to Old Home Place, it was obvious that something new and different was going on. Rice’s guitar filled the track from top to bottom and side to side with an aggressive rhythm style that brought together the power of Jimmy Martin and Del McCoury, with the dexterity and grace of Clarence White. It propelled the band forward like nothing we had heard before.

More at URL above...

Tony "changed the music" as much as did Earl Scruggs.
One of the greatest acoustic guitar players of all time.
During the seventies and eighties there were  five flatpickers who were regarded by many as at the top of the pile.
Rice was one of them. Then there was Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Dan Crary, and Clarence White who was killed in an auto accident in the early seventies. White actually went rock and roll for a while as a member of The Byrds. Watson, Blake, and Crary could more accurately described as old timey/folk rather than Bluegrass musicians.
Rice's music from that time was more in the Bluegrass vein. I believe sometime in  eighties or nineties he started experimenting with jazz. That's basically when I stopped buying his records. I bought his first jazzier lp "Mar West", but just couldn't grok it.
Combination great flatpicker and excellent singer.
I have several Rice albums which I haven't played for a while. I regard his "Manzanita" album as one of the best bluegrass/old timey records of that era.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1536 on: December 29, 2020, 02:21:47 pm »
Pierre Cardin: French fashion giant dies aged 98

Legendary designer Pierre Cardin, whose futuristic and stylish designs helped revolutionise fashion in the 1950s and 60s, has died at the age of 98.

The French fashion giant's career spanned more than 70 years, and his modern style helped usher in the post-war "golden age" of couture.

He also broke ground by bringing designer styles to the masses with some of the first ready-to-wear collections.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55476062
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1537 on: December 29, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »
Pierre Cardin: French fashion giant dies aged 98

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55476062

I remember back in college in the 80s, his cologne was a big deal. Lot of people wore it. RIP.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #1538 on: December 30, 2020, 07:51:11 pm »
Dawn Wells, ‘Gilligan’s Island’s’ Mary Ann, Dies of COVID at 82

Dawn Wells, who starred as the demure Mary Ann in popular 1960s sitcom “Gilligan’s Island,” died Wednesday of causes related to COVID-19 in Los Angeles. She was 82.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1539 on: December 30, 2020, 07:53:43 pm »
I just saw a headline Dawn Wells passed. Rest In Peace Mary Ann.

888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

I think all the castaways are now  gone.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:57:54 pm by Gefn »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1540 on: December 30, 2020, 08:05:02 pm »
I just saw a headline Dawn Wells passed. Rest In Peace Mary Ann.

888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

I think all the castaways are now  gone.
@Gefn

Tina Louise is still alive.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1542 on: December 30, 2020, 08:46:24 pm »
I always liked her better than Ginger. RIP
:yowsa:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1543 on: December 30, 2020, 09:04:07 pm »
@Gefn

Tina Louise is still alive.
Yeah, Tina—ironically the only one who wanted nothing to do with the show afterward—is, at 86, the last living cast member.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1544 on: December 30, 2020, 11:34:16 pm »
Shabba-Doo
Dancer who brought street dancing into the mainstream dies at 65

Shabba-Doo, real name Adolfo G. Quiñones, broke through to fame in the 1980s with a style of street dance known as "locking—" essentially the practice involved fast and exaggerated arm movements interrupted by brief freezes. He appeared in several movies as a dancer, including Xanadu and Breakin' (as well as the notorious sequel Electric Boogaloo), and worked as a choreographer later in life.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1545 on: December 31, 2020, 06:45:38 am »
I always liked her better than Ginger. RIP
Me, too. RIP Dawn, and thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1546 on: December 31, 2020, 06:50:27 am »
Shabba-Doo
Dancer who brought street dancing into the mainstream dies at 65

Shabba-Doo, real name Adolfo G. Quiñones, broke through to fame in the 1980s with a style of street dance known as "locking—" essentially the practice involved fast and exaggerated arm movements interrupted by brief freezes. He appeared in several movies as a dancer, including Xanadu and Breakin' (as well as the notorious sequel Electric Boogaloo), and worked as a choreographer later in life.

So he won't live to see Break Dancing actually be an official Olympic Sport.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1547 on: December 31, 2020, 04:13:44 pm »
Dawn Wells, the real-life Mary Ann Summers of “Gilligan’s Island,” was just as sunny and down-to-earth off-screen as she was on-screen, her co-star Tina Louise, the show’s only surviving cast member, told The Post Wednesday.  ...

“Dawn was a very wonderful person. I want people to remember her as someone who always had a smile on her face,” said Louise, who lives on Manhattan’s East Side. “Nothing is more important than family and she was family. She will always be remembered.” ...
NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1548 on: December 31, 2020, 05:05:06 pm »

Sadly, pictures fro MeWe don't hot link.  I just see an empty box.... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1549 on: December 31, 2020, 05:53:23 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien