Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95755 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1475 on: December 02, 2020, 06:57:33 pm »
I loved listening to walter Williams when he filled in for rush.
Sad news....

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1476 on: December 03, 2020, 05:23:34 pm »
https://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2020/12/02/walter-e-williams-19362020-n2580965

Walter E. Williams 1936-2020

Walter Williams loved teaching. Unlike too many other teachers today, he made it a point never to impose his opinions on his students. Those who read his syndicated newspaper columns know that he expressed his opinions boldly and unequivocally there. But not in the classroom.

Walter once said he hoped that, on the day he died, he would have taught a class that day. And that is just the way it was, when he died on Wednesday, December 2, 2020.

He was my best friend for half a century. There was no one I trusted more or whose integrity I respected more. Since he was younger than me, I chose him to be my literary executor, to take control of my books after I was gone.
As an economist, Walter Williams never got the credit he deserved. His book "Race and Economics" is a must-read introduction to the subject. Amazon has it ranked 5th in sales among civil rights books, 9 years after it was published.

Another book of his, on the effects of economics under the white supremacist apartheid regime in South Africa, was titled "South Africa's War Against Capitalism." He went to South Africa to study the situation directly. Many of the things he brought out have implications for racial discrimination in other places around the world.

I have had many occasions to cite Walter Williams' research in my own books. Most of what others say about higher prices in low income neighborhoods today has not yet caught up to what Walter said in his doctoral dissertation decades ago.

A Great eulogizing another Great.

ETA:

Holding a black belt in karate, Walter was a tough customer. One night three men jumped him -- and two of those men ended up in a hospital.

:silly:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:27:03 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1477 on: December 03, 2020, 08:56:43 pm »
You didn't have to be in his classroom for Walter Williams to teach you economics or remind you why fearing freedom is the choice of a fool. You had only to read his columns and his books to be instructed, reminded, and delighted all at once.

RIP Dr. Williams. To the Elysian Fields you go to reunite happily with your Connie, but here on earth your work endures.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

rangerrebew

« Reply #1478 on: December 05, 2020, 02:34:31 pm »

Dr. Walter Williams, R.I.P.
By Craig Rucker |December 3rd, 2020|Civil Rights|1 Comment

CFACT mourns the loss of economist Dr. Walter Williams who passed away this week.   Dr. Williams was a wise and tireless advocate for freedom.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Williams once after I gave a presentation in Washington.  He was a delightful man.  He has on a number of occasions mentioned CFACT’s work in his nationally-syndicated columns, most recently citing the work of Paul Driessen in a column this past March.

CFACT’s Marc Morano was a former student of Dr. Williams at George Mason University (he got a C).  Marc posted detailed thoughts at Climate Depot and CFACT.org.

https://www.cfact.org/2020/12/03/dr-walter-williams-r-i-p/

rangerrebew

« Reply #1479 on: December 05, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »
A great advocate of rights for ALL people, he will be badly missed. :patriot:

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #1480 on: December 05, 2020, 02:51:31 pm »
A great advocate of rights for ALL people, he will be badly missed. :patriot:

:amen:
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1481 on: December 05, 2020, 08:57:38 pm »
David Lander
TV's "Squiggy" dies at 73

Lander (né Landau), a native Brooklynite, met his comic partner Michael McKean while attending college in Pittsburgh. Together, they created the comic greaser duo Lenny and Squiggy, among other roles. They traveled to the West Coast and joined the seminal comedy troupe The Credibility Gap before bringing their Lenny and Squiggy act, virtually intact, to television on the hit television series Laverne & Shirley. The duo split when McKean left the series in 1982.

Lander continued his career for the next two decades, becoming a fixture in bit parts and voice-acting roles, using his natural Brooklyn greaser accent to full effect as a character actor. One notable example of a non-Brooklynite role he voiced was one of his longest-running, the recurring role of farm-boy "Doc Boy" Arbuckle in the Garfield cartoons.

Lander, who had suffered from multiple sclerosis since the mid-1980s but only went public with the diagnosis in 1999, died from complications of the disease December 4.

Obituary from TMZ

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1482 on: December 05, 2020, 09:00:22 pm »
RIP Squiggy.

I didn’t know he was Jon on “Garfield”
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:01:28 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1483 on: December 05, 2020, 09:42:45 pm »
RIP Squiggy.

I didn’t know he was Jon on “Garfield”
Jon was actually little-known Thom Huge. But David played the bald brother Doc Boy, a recurring character.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1484 on: December 06, 2020, 02:15:01 am »
Lander was also the ballpark announcer for the climactic championship game in A League of Their Own.

Hinson dropped the ball! Hinson dropped the ball! . . . I have seen enough to know I have seen too much!

RIP

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online rustynail

« Reply #1485 on: December 08, 2020, 11:43:38 am »
General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET.

rangerrebew

« Reply #1486 on: December 08, 2020, 12:09:22 pm »
Aviation legend Chuck Yeager dies age 97
by Agence France-Presse
December 8, 2020

Aviation legend Chuck Yeager dies age 97

US aviation legend Chuck Yeager, the first pilot to break the sound barrier, has died, his wife announced Monday.

“It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET,” Victoria Yeager tweeted on her husband’s account.

“An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever.”

She did not specify the cause of her husband’s death.

https://www.defencetalk.com/aviation-legend-chuck-yeager-dies-age-97-76590/

Offline verga

« Reply #1487 on: December 08, 2020, 01:08:43 pm »
General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET.
RIP to an American Hero and Legend.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1488 on: December 08, 2020, 01:11:11 pm »
RIP to a true hero. 97 was a great run.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1489 on: December 08, 2020, 01:16:26 pm »
Chuck Yeager: First pilot to fly supersonic dies aged 97

US test pilot Chuck Yeager, the first person to break the sound barrier, has died aged 97, his wife says.

In a tweet, Victoria Yeager wrote: "It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET."

Yeager went into the history books after his flight in the Bell X-1 experimental rocket plane in 1947.

He later broke several other speed and altitude records, helping to pave the way for the US space programme.

"An incredible life well lived, America's greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever," his wife wrote on Monday.

She provided no further details.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55225903
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:18:54 pm by Gefn »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1490 on: December 08, 2020, 02:33:24 pm »

He was “the most righteous of all those with the right stuff,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Bedke, commander of the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards.

Yeager, from a small town in the hills of West Virginia, flew for more than 60 years, including piloting an X-15 to near 1,000 mph (1,609 kph) at Edwards in October 2002 at age 79.

“Living to a ripe old age is not an end in itself. The trick is to enjoy the years remaining,” he said in “Yeager: An Autobiography.”

“I haven’t yet done everything, but by the time I’m finished, I won’t have missed much,” he wrote. “If I auger in (crash) tomorrow, it won’t be with a frown on my face. I’ve had a ball.”

On Oct. 14, 1947, Yeager, then a 24-year-old captain, pushed an orange, bullet-shaped Bell X-1 rocket plane past 660 mph at 40,000 feet to break the sound barrier, at the time a daunting aviation milestone.
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1491 on: December 08, 2020, 11:22:13 pm »
If you've never watched "The Right Stuff", now might be a good time to do so.
You can "find it on the net" in 1080p if you know where to look.

Mr. Yeager has a cameo role as the bartender at the test flight base "cafe".

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1492 on: December 09, 2020, 07:37:18 am »
Farewell to one of aviation's greats. RIP General Yeager. :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1493 on: December 10, 2020, 12:20:35 am »
The Right Stuff
By Hoppy Kercheval
December 9, 2020 - 12:08 am

The story goes that Chuck Yeager was not impressed with the term “the right stuff.”

Author Tom Wolfe, in his book The Right Stuff, used the phrase to describe the qualities of Yeager and other pilots whose skill and bravery opened the avenue of supersonic flight and space exploration.

Wolfe singled out Yeager in his book, describing him as “the most righteous of all possessors of the right stuff.”

Asked about it by Newsweek in 1985, Yeager said the designation “jes’ don’t mean a rat’s fanny.”

The Lincoln County, West Virginia native spent a lifetime downplaying his long list of achievements.

As a WWII flying ace he shot down five German planes in one day. After he was shot down over France, he escaped by climbing over the snow-covered Pyrenees Mountains into Spain, carrying a wounded fellow soldier with him. ...
WV Metro News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1494 on: December 10, 2020, 12:55:54 am »
WV Metro News

"The Right Stuff" was, IMO, more about Yeager than any of the Mercury Seven.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1495 on: December 11, 2020, 09:15:53 am »
Tommy ‘Tiny’ Lister, ‘Friday’ Actor and Wrestler, Dies at 62

Tommy “Tiny” Lister, who appeared in “Friday” and “The Fifth Element” and was also a professional wrestler, died Thursday, his manager Cindy Cowan confirmed.

Cowan said he was found unresponsive in his apartment in Marina del Rey, Calif. after displaying symptoms of COVID-19 in recent days. He had been working on a film and had to cancel shooting after falling ill, Cowan said.

“He was a wonderful guy with a heart of gold. Everyone loved him. A real gentle giant,” she said, “We’re all devastated.”

Lister wrestled Hulk Hogan in the World Wrestling Federation after appearing as Zeus in 1989’s “No Holds Barred.” He later spent time in World Championship Wrestling, where he was billed as Z-Gangsta.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tommy-tiny-lister-dies-friday-actor-wrestler-1234851392/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1496 on: December 11, 2020, 09:18:31 am »
Tommy ‘Tiny’ Lister, ‘Friday’ Actor and Wrestler, Dies at 62

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tommy-tiny-lister-dies-friday-actor-wrestler-1234851392/

I had only seen him in one movie- an Adam Sandler one. He played a big, scary demon/devil and he was good in that role.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1497 on: December 11, 2020, 09:23:43 pm »
I had only seen him in one movie- an Adam Sandler one. He played a big, scary demon/devil and he was good in that role.
Little Nicky, it was. Weird and lowbrow, but definitely funny.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1498 on: December 12, 2020, 10:19:26 pm »
Charley Pride
Country singer dies at 86

Pride began his career in Negro league baseball, and though injuries kept him from making the major leagues, he spent several years in the minors. He drew the attention of some of the biggest country musicians of the era during his baseball career, and after a stint in the military, he caught on in Nashville after Chet Atkins had heard one of his demo tapes and signed him to RCA Victor.

In a time when the South was heavily scrutinized for its anti-black reputation, Pride became one of Nashville's major superstars. He became the first black member of the Grand Ole Opry since founding member DeFord Bailey. Between 1967 and 1983, Pride's singles dominated the country charts, including a string of over 40 consecutive singles reaching the top 10 (many of them reaching number-1) between 1971 and 1983. He had one major pop crossover hit, "Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'." His career tailed off somewhat in the late 1980s but he remained an active performer until his death.

Pride died December 12 from coronavirus complications.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline verga

« Reply #1499 on: December 13, 2020, 02:34:52 am »
Charley Pride
Country singer dies at 86

Pride began his career in Negro league baseball, and though injuries kept him from making the major leagues, he spent several years in the minors. He drew the attention of some of the biggest country musicians of the era during his baseball career, and after a stint in the military, he caught on in Nashville after Chet Atkins had heard one of his demo tapes and signed him to RCA Victor.

In a time when the South was heavily scrutinized for its anti-black reputation, Pride became one of Nashville's major superstars. He became the first black member of the Grand Ole Opry since founding member DeFord Bailey. Between 1967 and 1983, Pride's singles dominated the country charts, including a string of over 40 consecutive singles reaching the top 10 (many of them reaching number-1) between 1971 and 1983. He had one major pop crossover hit, "Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'." His career tailed off somewhat in the late 1980s but he remained an active performer until his death.

Pride died December 12 from coronavirus complications.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Loved his music. RIP sir.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.