Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95665 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1275 on: October 12, 2020, 03:40:06 pm »
I liked Joe Morgan.
Sorry to hear this.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1276 on: October 12, 2020, 04:43:16 pm »
Six Hall of Famers gone in a year: Lou Brock, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Tom Seaver, and now Joe Morgan.

As if 2020 wasn't enough of the kind of year that makes you want to call your parents and take them up on their childhood threats to knock you into the middle of next year.

RIP Joe Morgan, the final and number one cog in the Big Red Machine.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1277 on: October 12, 2020, 05:59:49 pm »
Six Hall of Famers gone in a year: Lou Brock, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Tom Seaver, and now Joe Morgan.

As if 2020 wasn't enough of the kind of year that makes you want to call your parents and take them up on their childhood threats to knock you into the middle of next year.

RIP Joe Morgan, the final and number one cog in the Big Red Machine.

Joe Morgan was I think the youngest of these guys.  Most of them were big names when I was a kid watching baseball on tv with Dad. Joe Morgan came along later. One of the best infielders back in the day.  Without him the Reds would not have been the powerhouse they were back in the 70s.

Rest in peace.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1278 on: October 13, 2020, 12:44:31 pm »
Margaret Nolan, ‘Goldfinger’ and ‘Hard Day’s Night’ actress, dead at 76
By Hannah Sparks
October 12, 2020

Margaret Nolan, iconic for her role as Dink in the James Bond film “Goldfinger,” has died at 76. ...

In a thread, he [director Edgar Wright] continued, “She was the gold painted model in the iconic Goldfinger title sequence and poster (she also played Dink in the movie), she appeared in the classic ‘A Hard Day’s Night,’ ‘Carry On Girls,’ ‘No Sex Please We’re British’ & many others, frequently sending up her own glamourpuss image.”  ...

More at NY Post
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:51:00 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1279 on: October 13, 2020, 02:41:47 pm »
Margaret Nolan, ‘Goldfinger’ and ‘Hard Day’s Night’ actress, dead at 76
By Hannah Sparks
October 12, 2020

Margaret Nolan, iconic for her role as Dink in the James Bond film “Goldfinger,” has died at 76. ...

In a thread, he [director Edgar Wright] continued, “She was the gold painted model in the iconic Goldfinger title sequence and poster (she also played Dink in the movie), she appeared in the classic ‘A Hard Day’s Night,’ ‘Carry On Girls,’ ‘No Sex Please We’re British’ & many others, frequently sending up her own glamourpuss image.”  ...

More at NY Post
They couldn't make that JB flick today. Not in the same way. I remember when Bond meets another agent, he slaps Dink on her rear end and tells her to get lost because "man talk" will be going on.
The radical feminists and soy boys in the media would blow their collective stacks.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1281 on: October 13, 2020, 04:48:34 pm »
They couldn't make that JB flick today. Not in the same way. I remember when Bond meets another agent, he slaps Dink on her rear end and tells her to get lost because "man talk" will be going on.
The radical feminists and soy boys in the media would blow their collective stacks.

So true.  Many of the movies from decades ago could not be made today.  Blazing Saddles, one of my favorites, is another movie that if Mel Brooks tried to make it today, he would be run out of Hollywood on a rail. There would be riots.  Thing is, Mel was poking fun at racists, white nationalists, the KKK, Nazis and others.  The snowflakes today wouldn't get it.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1282 on: October 13, 2020, 04:51:35 pm »
So true.  Many of the movies from decades ago could not be made today.  Blazing Saddles, one of my favorites, is another movie that if Mel Brooks tried to make it today, he would be run out of Hollywood on a rail. There would be riots.  Thing is, Mel was poking fun at racists, white nationalists, the KKK, Nazis and others.  The snowflakes today wouldn't get it.

They don't "get" sarcasm or satire at all.  That's how we end up seeing hilarious "fact checks" of Babylon Bee articles.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1283 on: October 13, 2020, 04:53:04 pm »

I watched Gettysburg the other night - made in '93. There's no way even THAT movie would be made today.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1285 on: October 13, 2020, 04:55:49 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

108! YIKES! She was sure made from strong stuff!

Yep, this women was older than one my grandmothers.  Pretty rare to get to that number.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1286 on: October 13, 2020, 04:56:16 pm »
So true.  Many of the movies from decades ago could not be made today.  Blazing Saddles, one of my favorites, is another movie that if Mel Brooks tried to make it today, he would be run out of Hollywood on a rail.

@Applewood

Not a chance. Brooks is Jewish.

He would have a hell of a time trying to find financing and a production company to promote it,though.

Thing is, Mel was poking fun at racists, white nationalists, the KKK, Nazis and others.  The snowflakes today wouldn't get it.

True,despite all the claims of enlightenment,most of today's  "intellectuals" are incredibly small-minded.

BTW,I LOVED Brooks movie's,too. Blazing Saddles taught me to not to go see one while stoned. I laughed so hard I almost lost my wind and pissed my pants.

LOVED"Young Frankenstein",too! Marty Feldman ALWAYS cracked me up,and putting him in that role was a stroke of genius. LOVED the hell out of Madeline Kahn,too. That accent was hilarious as well as sexy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:02:14 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1287 on: October 13, 2020, 04:59:50 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

108! YIKES! She was sure made from strong stuff!

@sneakypete

Mrs. McCain was still traveling well into her 90s.  Traveled a lot with her twin sister who died some years ago.  Hell, I'm in my 60s and feeling like I'm getting too old to go to the supermarket, let alone to Europe or wherever all Mrs. McCain traveled. 

Rest in peace, Mrs. McCain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1288 on: October 13, 2020, 07:54:26 pm »
I showed it to a bunch of twenty year olds over twenty years ago, and they were mortified. They completely missed the humor, and the satire present and were triggered, for want of a better term. I was stunned, then, and I know it would be worse now. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1289 on: October 13, 2020, 07:56:35 pm »
@Applewood

Not a chance. Brooks is Jewish.

He would have a hell of a time trying to find financing and a production company to promote it,though.

True,despite all the claims of enlightenment,most of today's  "intellectuals" are incredibly small-minded.

BTW,I LOVED Brooks movie's,too. Blazing Saddles taught me to not to go see one while stoned. I laughed so hard I almost lost my wind and pissed my pants.

LOVED"Young Frankenstein",too! Marty Feldman ALWAYS cracked me up,and putting him in that role was a stroke of genius. LOVED the hell out of Madeline Kahn,too. That accent was hilarious as well as sexy.
IMHO, "Young Frankenstein' was his best.

As for today's intellectuals, they are just a bunch of overeducated (indoctrinated) people who have decided they have the correct knee-jerk reactions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1290 on: October 13, 2020, 08:35:18 pm »
Conchata Ferrell Dies: Former 'Two and a Half Men' Co-Star Was 77

Actress passed away on October 12 at 12:30 PM PST, at the age of 77 as a result of complications following a cardiac arrest. She died peacefully surrounded by family at Sherman Oaks Hospital in Sherman Oaks, California.

Ferrell is probably best known for her role as no-nonsense housekeeper Berta on the hit CBS comedy Two and a Half Men. This role earned her two Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series Emmy nominations in 2005 and 2007.

“She was a beautiful human,” Two and a Half Men star Jon Cryer said following the news of Ferrell’s death. “Berta’s gruff exterior was an invention of the writers. Chatty’s warmth and vulnerability were her real strengths. I’m crying for the woman I’ll miss, and the joy she brought so many.” (You can see his tweet below.)

https://deadline.com/2020/10/conchata-ferrell-dead-two-and-a-half-men-co-star-77-1234596750/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1291 on: October 13, 2020, 08:38:40 pm »
I remember seeing her in a TV show called “Hot L Baltimore” back when I was a kid. Norman Lear did it. She was really good in that.

RIP Berta. You gave us a lot of laughs on “Two and a half men” and other sitcoms.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline berdie

« Reply #1292 on: October 13, 2020, 09:08:29 pm »
@sneakypete

Mrs. McCain was still traveling well into her 90s.  Traveled a lot with her twin sister who died some years ago.  Hell, I'm in my 60s and feeling like I'm getting too old to go to the supermarket, let alone to Europe or wherever all Mrs. McCain traveled. 

Rest in peace, Mrs. McCain.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1293 on: October 13, 2020, 10:52:52 pm »
I remember seeing her in a TV show called “Hot L Baltimore” back when I was a kid. Norman Lear did it. She was really good in that.

RIP Berta. You gave us a lot of laughs on “Two and a half men” and other sitcoms.

I remember Hot L Baltimore.  Too bad it didn't last because I thought it was a great show.

Rest in peace, Miss Ferrell. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1294 on: October 13, 2020, 10:57:18 pm »
@sneakypete
@Smokin Joe

Young Frankenstein was a hoot.  Marty Feldman was funny just looking at him. 

"Hump?  What hump?"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1295 on: October 14, 2020, 12:07:51 am »
@sneakypete
@Smokin Joe

Young Frankenstein was a hoot.  Marty Feldman was funny just looking at him. 

"Hump?  What hump?"

@Smokin Joe

Now I'm temped to rent it and watch it again,but afraid I just don't have enough wind to laugh that hard anymore.

I can barely handle my annual viewing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" on Halloween every year.

I consider the fact that Tim Curry didn't win an Oscar for Best Actor that year to be an actual crime.

He also appeared in 3 episodes of Criminal Minds as a serial killer,and that was maybe the best acting I had ever seen. He flat scared the hell out of me.

VERY underrated actor,and I can't figure out why.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:38:05 am by sneakypete »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1296 on: October 14, 2020, 12:11:57 am »
Tom Kennedy
Game show host dies at 93

Kennedy was born James Narz. He and his brother, Jack Narz, both went into the entertainment industry (Jack also hosted a number of game shows); to avoid getting the two confused with each other, James took on the stage name Tom Kennedy. In an era when most game shows only lasted a few months, Kennedy ran through numerous hosting gigs, the longest being Name That Tune, in which Kennedy initially split hosting duties with Dennis James, then took over full-time; all in all, Kennedy lasted seven years on the show.  Other prominent hosting gigs that lasted over a year included Split Second, Password Plus (where he replaced the late Allen Ludden), Whew!, Body Language and The Nighttime Price Is Right (a syndicated version of the still-on-the-air institution). Kennedy made a handful of efforts to produce his own game shows but none made it past the pilot stage.

Kennedy died October 7 following a long illness. He was among the last hosts from the golden age of game shows to still be alive prior to his death (the few remaining ones include Bob Barker, Peter Marshall and Bob Eubanks).

Obituary from WAVE-TV

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:15:15 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1297 on: October 14, 2020, 12:41:04 am »
Tom Kennedy
Game show host dies at 93

Trivia: Tom Kennedy and his older brother, Jack Narz, both announced for Betty White in the 1950s. Narz was the announcer/semi-narrator for White's early (and excellent) television comedy, Life with Elizabeth; Kennedy became the announcer for White's series of the later 1950s, A Date with the Angels.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1298 on: October 14, 2020, 12:43:49 am »
Good Grief!  Now I really feel old.  I remember some of Tom Kennedy's game shows.   Name That Tune of course, but I remember when Kathie Lee Gifford was the "La-La" vocalist (this was before she married Frank Gifford).  Still don't know how anyone could name a tune in one note.  You can give me a whole chorus and I probably couldn't name the song.

Anyway, rest in peace, Mr. Kennedy.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1299 on: October 14, 2020, 01:22:59 am »
Man  more people we knew are dyeing that we never knew before.   

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.