Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95876 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1150 on: September 10, 2020, 02:53:32 pm »
I also forgot she was in a James Bond film! On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

It’s quite an honor to be a Bond girl, huh?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline verga

« Reply #1151 on: September 10, 2020, 04:20:12 pm »
Dame Diana Rigg: Actress dies aged 82

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54106509
I think I saw every episode of Avengers, the stuff of teenage boys fantasies.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1152 on: September 10, 2020, 05:39:22 pm »
What? Your PF Flyers didn't help you 'run faster and jump higher'?
No. In fact, I didn't even wear PF Flyers. Or U.S. Keds. I remember a commercial from those days showing some kid putting on a pair of U.S. Keds and whizzing around the block at supersonic speed. I wanted to be able to do that too.
My mother got me the cheapest sneakers available. I don't know how much PF Flyers or Keds cost, but it must have been out of our price range.
Strangely enough, there were kids who wore the same cheap sneakers as I did but could run faster than me. I couldn't figure that out at the time.
I had about average or a little above average speed. But my three brothers were all very fast and could run rings around me. Even while wearing the same cheap sneakers as I did.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1153 on: September 10, 2020, 05:49:59 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1154 on: September 10, 2020, 06:00:17 pm »
Yeah, but CHucks were expensive, maybe $12-14 when you could get a cheap pair of sneakers for $2.50

I'm thinking these were about $10.00

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1155 on: September 10, 2020, 07:07:30 pm »
Rest in peace, Mrs. Peel.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1156 on: September 10, 2020, 07:14:37 pm »
No. In fact, I didn't even wear PF Flyers. Or U.S. Keds. I remember a commercial from those days showing some kid putting on a pair of U.S. Keds and whizzing around the block at supersonic speed. I wanted to be able to do that too.
I used to wear Keds boat sneakers, as they called them in those years. The most comfortable sneakers I ever had when I was growing up. Especially living as I did in a beach town from third grade through high school graduation. Perfect for walking to the beach (I lived ten blocks from it) or on the boardwalk.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1157 on: September 10, 2020, 07:22:36 pm »

She was in many enjoyable movies and plays but who could forget her wonderful work with Vincent Price in Theater of Blood?
I thought she always presented herself as a classy lady and think it would have been great to just sit and talk with her. Anyone that can say things like this quote from her has no delusions about who they are.

A smoker from the age of 18, Rigg was still smoking 20 cigarettes a day in 2009. By December 2017, she had stopped smoking after serious illness led to heart surgery, a cardiac ablation, two months earlier. A devout Christian, she commented that: "My heart had stopped ticking during the procedure, so I was up there and The Good Lord must have said, 'Send the old bag down again, I'm not having her yet!'".

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1158 on: September 10, 2020, 07:31:06 pm »
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/09/kool-the-gang-co-founder-ronald-khalis-bell-dies-at-68.html

Kool & the Gang co-founder Ronald ‘Khalis’ Bell dies at 68

LOS ANGELES — Ronald “Khalis” Bell, a co-founder, singer and producer of the group Kool & the Gang, has died. He was 68.

Bell, who was born in Ohio but grew up in Jersey City, died at his home in the U.S. Virgin Islands Wednesday morning with his wife by his side, publicist Sujata Murthy said. The cause of death has not been released.

Kool & the Gang grew from jazz roots in the 1960s to become one of the major groups of the 1970s, blending jazz, funk, R&B and pop. After a brief downturn, the group enjoyed a return to stardom in the ’80s.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1159 on: September 10, 2020, 08:34:09 pm »

A particular honor given that her character, Tracy, was the only Bond girl that James Bond ever married. She ended up assassinated by a Blofeld henchman at the end, but still...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1160 on: September 11, 2020, 01:18:48 am »
I never saw Game of Thrones, but I did catch an episode or two of The Avengers.

RIP, Dame Diana.

@Gefn

Why do you insist on punishing yourself?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1161 on: September 11, 2020, 02:44:42 am »
Dame Diana Rigg: Actress dies aged 82

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54106509

Had  huge 10 year old crushes on Diana Rigg and Elizabeth Montgomery. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1162 on: September 11, 2020, 06:24:25 am »
Had  huge 10 year old crushes on Diana Rigg and Elizabeth Montgomery.
...and Barbara Eden...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1163 on: September 11, 2020, 10:40:37 am »
...and Barbara Eden...

Even my dad liked Jeannie! Totally off topic but back then they could show her or Mary Ann’s belly buttons. Look how far TV has come....(not to mention couples were in separate beds)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1164 on: September 11, 2020, 01:10:15 pm »
Even my dad liked Jeannie! Totally off topic but back then they could show her or Mary Ann’s belly buttons. Look how far TV has come....(not to mention couples were in separate beds)
The separate bed thing goes back many decades back to the thirties when Hollywood enacted their stupid morality codes.
Every kid could look into their parent's bedrooms and only see one big bed. So why did Hollyweird and the tv industry think that showing married couples using twin beds was a great idea?
Maybe pressure from religious groups which were far more powerful in those days had a lot to do with it.
Catholics had the Legion of Decency which rated films from A which were "wholesome" family films to C for condemned. The things that could get a movie condemned would make people fall down laughing today. I think one movie got condemned for using the word "pregnant."
Needless to say, I never saw any condemned movies in my youth, and my old man threw a fit when I went with a friend to see "From Russia With Love" which was rated B for morally objectionable. Boy, those Bond girls...hubba, hubba.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1165 on: September 11, 2020, 01:23:58 pm »
@Gefn
@goatprairie

The "twin beds" thing made me think of the Dick Van Dyke Show and later, the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  In the latter, Mary was originally supposed to be a divorcee, but I guess someone at the network thought that was morally objectionable.  So the character was  portrayed as having broken off her engagement. 

I do remember the Legion of Decency codes and I also remember my devout Catholic mother throwing a hissy fit when I went to the movies as a kid to see a few that were less than A rated.  At the time there were two movie houses in the neighborhood.  I'd tell my mother I was going to the one that was showing an A rated movie, but actually, I went to the one showing a B or C rated movie.  The theaters didn't really care that I might be too young for what they were showing; so long as I forked over the 50 cents to see the picture, they'd still let me in.

Offline verga

« Reply #1166 on: September 11, 2020, 01:33:13 pm »
@Gefn
@goatprairie

The "twin beds" thing made me think of the Dick Van Dyke Show and later, the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  In the latter, Mary was originally supposed to be a divorcee, but I guess someone at the network thought that was morally objectionable.  So the character was  portrayed as having broken off her engagement. 
It wasn't just the "Divorce" thing. They didn't want anyone thinking she had divorced Dick Van Dyke.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1167 on: September 11, 2020, 04:27:54 pm »
@Gefn
@goatprairie

I do remember the Legion of Decency codes and I also remember my devout Catholic mother throwing a hissy fit when I went to the movies as a kid to see a few that were less than A rated.  At the time there were two movie houses in the neighborhood.  I'd tell my mother I was going to the one that was showing an A rated movie, but actually, I went to the one showing a B or C rated movie.  The theaters didn't really care that I might be too young for what they were showing; so long as I forked over the 50 cents to see the picture, they'd still let me in.
I can't remember my two movie houses that existed where I was growing up ever showed anything that would have been condemnation-worthy.
I didn't have the money to see them anyway until I started doing part-time work in my mid-teens. After the mid-sixties all sorts of things started showing up on movie screens.
We had an outdoor movie theater (yippee!!) close to my house that showed r-rated movies. Couldn't hear the audio, but the pictures on the screen sure were interesting. It's a wonder they didn't close them down for "immorality" before they went out of business thanks to vcrs and video-tapes.
Now they're coming back because of the virus. Weird times.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1168 on: September 11, 2020, 07:21:28 pm »
...and Barbara Eden...
@Smokin Joe
Did you ever see 'The Seven faces of Dr. Lao'? A pleasant little Tony Randall movie, but the Pan scene with Barbara Eden? Steamy! Well at least in 1964.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1169 on: September 13, 2020, 12:28:18 am »
Stevie Lee Richardson
Midget wrestler also known as Puppet the Psycho Dwarf dies at 54

Richardson had two particular traits that may have doomed him to an early death: he had dwarfism, and he chose professional wrestling as a vocation. Wrestling as "Puppet the Psycho Dwarf," Richarsdon was a founding member of the Half Pint Brawlers, a particularly brutal hardcore midget wrestling circuit that had its own program on Spike TV. Before founding that organization, he briefly wrestled for TNA before that circuit broke through to its moment of prominence.

Richardson died September 9, unexpectedly of unknown causes.

Obituary from E!

Wikipedia

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1170 on: September 15, 2020, 10:15:19 pm »
Pioneering Navy Captain Kathleen Byerly Bruyere dies at 74

Byerly, a career enlistee of the United States Navy, served from 1966 to 1994, eventually rising to the rank of Captain. Her extensive service was perhaps overshadowed by a single lawsuit in which she argued, successfully, that a federal law prohibiting women from combat aircraft or ships to be used in war violated the U.S. Constitution. It was this case that earned her Person of the Year honors, alongside several other feminists, from Time magazine in 1975 (though the magazine never informed her of her selection). Though she won the lawsuit, she never served on a warship afterward.

She died September 3 from brain cancer.

Obituary

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:16:25 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1171 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:56 am »
Three full stripes, Lt. Commander?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1172 on: September 16, 2020, 01:53:24 am »
Three full stripes, Lt. Commander?
I think her rank was Commander at the time that picture was taken (1983 according to Wikipedia), before she was promoted to captain.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1173 on: September 17, 2020, 03:58:03 pm »
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/913619163/stanley-crouch-towering-jazz-critic-dead-at-74

Stanley Crouch, Towering Jazz Critic, Dead At 74

Stanley Crouch, the lauded and fiery jazz critic, has died. According to an announcement by his wife, Gloria Nixon-Crouch, Stanley Crouch died at the Calvary Hospital in New York on Wednesday, following nearly a decade of serious health issues.

Crouch was born in Los Angeles on Dec. 14, 1945. He read voraciously, watched the Watts riots up close, took up jazz drums, published Black Nationalist poetry, led guerilla-theater troupes and taught literature at Pomona College, all before moving to New York in 1975 and becoming a cultural critic at the Village Voice. His first collection, Notes of a Hanging Judge: Essays and Reviews, 1979-1989, is a classic of American letters, with disquisitions on diverse topics like Jesse Jackson, filmmaker Ousmane Sembene and painter Bob Thompson, before wrapping up with a panoramic diary of the Umbria Jazz Festival in Italy. The volume got wide play, was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award for criticism, and established Crouch as a force to be reckoned with. Later books included a novel, Don't the Moon Look Lonesome?, which received a close read from John Updike in the New Yorker, and a well-received biography, Kansas City Lightning: The Rise and Times of Charlie Parker. His many honors included a MacArthur Foundation "genius" grant and a NEA Jazz Masters Fellowship.

After publicly renouncing Black Nationalism in 1979, Crouch strove to place himself in the tradition of Ralph Ellison and, especially, Albert Murray, thinkers through which the idea of embracing Blackness and embracing American-ness became one and the same. Crouch felt he was extending Ellison's and Murray's work when attacking important artists, such as Spike Lee and Toni Morrison, for "doing the race thing." At the same time, Crouch fought for what he considered a Black aesthetic in jazz, and his 2003 JazzTimes essay "Putting the White Man in Charge" pairs neatly with Amiri Baraka's famous 1960 polemic, "Jazz and the White Critic." His outsized opinions were rendered in scalding, pugilistic prose – he even acquired a reputation for being willing to literally fight someone for disagreeing with him.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1174 on: September 17, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/913619163/stanley-crouch-towering-jazz-critic-dead-at-74

Stanley Crouch, Towering Jazz Critic, Dead At 74

I have two anthologies of his criticism . . .

. . . and he also wrote one of the best analyses I ever read about the dilemna of John Coltrane:

From Coltrane Derailed, Jazz Times, 1 Sept. 2002:

. . . [T]here are persistent questions buried deep in the John Coltrane mythos, ones that are hidden in the background of the discussion of his music because few professionals want to say publicly what they really think of him and the albums he made in the summer and fall of 1965 with augmented personnel—Kulu Se Mama, Ascension, Sun Ship, Om and Meditations—and the post-Classic Quartet LPs he made up until the end.

Before McCoy Tyner left the band in late 1965—unable to deal with the many squeakers, howlers, shriekers and honkers his boss invited onto the bandstand—he asked Coltrane what he was doing. But the pianist could get no answer in musical terms, something that had not happened before . . . there are also rumors about hallucinogenic drugs, which intensify narcissism and spiritual fantasies . . .

What could have led one of the intellectual giants of jazz—one of the great bluesmen, one of the most original swingers and a master of the ballad—into an arena so emotionally narrow and so far removed from his roots and his accomplishments? While
Interstellar Space, the 1967 duets sessions with Ali, are models of their kind, and Coltrane’s melody statements are often majestic, the other post-mid-1965 recordings, whether studio or live, are largely one-dimensional and do not vaguely compare to what Coltrane accomplished with his Classic Quartet.

What Coltrane’s late music does prove, however, is that he might well have been caught up in the “hysteria of the times,” as Cecil Taylor once wrote of him. During that period of the ’60s, everything traditional was under fire, from politics to ethnic identity, for both rational and irrational reasons. It is not impossible to believe that Coltrane was attracted to the romantic fantasies about Africa that black nationalists attempted to impose on both Negroes at large and Negro artists. This was when Negroes sought what should now be recognized as a laughable version of “authenticity” that never assessed jazz itself with any actual depth.

In fact, much black nationalism was really about enormous self-hatred and contempt for Negro-American culture. Its vision misled certain black people into denying the depth of the indelibly rich domestic influences black and white people had had on each other, regardless of all that had been wrought by slavery and segregation. The greatest of John Coltrane’s music reflects that confluence of races and influences.

. . . Coltrane was as much an heir to all that Bach and his descendants gave the world as he was to the blues. He was an heir to all that Negroes had done with the saxophone and what he admired in Stan Getz. None of Coltrane’s music, early or late, ever sounded like African music because his bands didn’t play on one and three, which Africans do, and because—until the end—they swung, which Africans do not—nor does anybody else unaffected by that distinctly Negro-American contribution to phrasing. (For those who persist in calling jazz African music I ask but one question: Where in Africa is there anything that resembles Art Tatum or Coleman Hawkins?)

Coltrane may have been on the way back from the abyss, however, before he died in 1967 at age 40. Rashied Ali remembers playing with Coltrane and Jimmy Garrison in a “straight-ahead” trio session recorded in Japan, interpreting standard songs. Near the end, Coltrane was calling McCoy Tyner and talking of how much he missed the old band. He even said to one saxophonist close to him that he was about to try and put the Classic Quartet back together. Perhaps Coltrane wanted to feel again all that he had turned his back on.

RIP Mr. Crouch. You never failed to instruct, delight, and engage.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.