Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95876 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1125 on: August 29, 2020, 01:36:46 pm »
I hadn't seen Chadwick Boseman in any movies, but am saddened by his having to battle colon cancer for four years. Cancer stinks.
Boseman was magnificent in . . .

The sad irony: Boseman died on the same day baseball had its delayed annual commemoration of Jackie Robinson.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1126 on: August 29, 2020, 01:39:19 pm »
I hadn't seen Chadwick Boseman in any movies,

@mountaineer

Me,either. My skin is the "wrong" color to go to one of his films. Too much danger of attack by thugs when the movie is over.

but am saddened by his having to battle colon cancer for four years. Cancer stinks.

I am saddened to hear of his death after finding out  he was able to accomplish so much and work so hard while doing it,and with nobody having a clue he was even sick,never mind dying. You KNOW he would have never gotten any of those starring roles if the producers had any idea he was so sick.

According to the Daily Mail: "Boseman is survived by his wife and a parent and had no children, his publicist said. He had kept his diagnosis and much of his personal life under wraps."

Sounds like he was a homosexual.

Not that it makes any difference one way or another. He was a good actor or he wasn't,and he was a man determined to fight the odds,or he wasn't. In both cases he comes down on the winning side.

Good on him. We need more people like him,instead of the seeming hordes of whining parasites we seem to be getting.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1127 on: August 29, 2020, 04:12:21 pm »
Sounds like he was a homosexual.

Not that it makes any difference one way or another.
Boseman and his wife actually dated for several years before they married last year. (He proposed to her while they were on a vacation in Malibu, Newsweek says.) From everything I've read of him, he was simply not the type to seek publicity for every last facet of his life. There's something admirable about a man who comes before the public only by way of his professional work and keeps his personal self to himself, away from the cameras and the press, without indulging in piles and piles of self-promotion. I suppose it's like the way John Coltrane demurred from liner notes on his album releases in the last few years of his life: "I'd rather you didn't include notes," he once told his producer Bob Thiele. "Let the music speak for itself."

The Bosemans rarely stepped out into the limelight until he made Black Panther; their relationship wasn't even widely known until his grandmother confirmed it to a magazine the year before they married.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1128 on: August 29, 2020, 10:40:33 pm »
I'd never heard of Chadwick Boseman until today.

But then... I no longer seem to have much interest in blacks, in films or otherwise. Sorry if that offends you.

Addendum:
I'll still root for a black contestants on Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, if they know how to "play the game"...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:46:00 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline verga

« Reply #1129 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:20 am »
Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer at 43

Ryan Pearson   |   7:13 pm PDT, Friday, August 28, 2020

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Actor Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as the regal Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, died Friday of cancer, his representative said. He was 43.

Boseman died at his home in the Los Angeles area with his wife and family by his side, his publicist Nicki Fioravante told The Associated Press.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Black-Panther-star-Chadwick-Boseman-dies-of-15523475.php

Great actor.  I especially liked him in Draft Day as Vontae Mack.
Damn shame, he did a lot of charity work with Childhood cancer patients.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1130 on: August 31, 2020, 12:44:28 pm »
John Thompson, college basketball coach, dies at 78.
The Team 980 & 95.9FM   @team980
Breaking News: Legendary Georgetown Coach John Thompson has passed away. The Hall of Famer became the first African-American head coach to win the NCAA National Championship, leading the Hoyas to the 1984 title. Coach Thompson will be greatly missed.

3:23 AM · Aug 31, 2020
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1131 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:27 pm »
John Thompson, college basketball coach, dies at 78.
I didn't have any great dislike for Thompson. But after years and years of poor/mediocre teams, the hiring of Thompson at Georgetown did one big thing. He almost immediately reversed the losing  and transformed them into championship-caliber teams.
How did he do it?
Up until his hiring Georgetown fielded mostly all-white teams with a few black players here and there.
Thompson stopped recruiting white players and almost exclusively recruited black players. There were only few benchwarming white players on his teams over the years. As a longtime follower of college basketball, I cannot remember one decent white player on any of Thompson's teams.
Georgetown was not a poor academic school. It still has a very good rep in a number of fields.
How did all those black players manage to make it through a good academic school?
I seriously doubt more than a few them had great SATs or ACTs.
But Georgetown was not the first university that decided to become a champion sports school by recruiting athletes with questionable (to put it mildly) academic records.
Even after Thompson left Georgetown, there were few or no white players.
The present coach HOFer Patrick Ewing was hired a few years ago and started recruiting white players.
So was Thompson a racist for not recruiting white players? No matter how dominant black players are in basketball, there are still a number of good white players coming out of high schools every year.
You'd think Thompson could have found one.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:06:09 am by goatprairie »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1132 on: August 31, 2020, 10:32:50 pm »
A little anecdote about one of Thompson's players, with regard to the matter of academics: Mr. M was once told by a woman (his cousin's mother-in-law) who taught Patrick Ewing at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School (high school), that Ewing didn't come close to having the academic prowess to meet the graduation requirements. The school gave him a diploma anyway, so he could move on to his college career at Georgetown.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1133 on: September 03, 2020, 01:05:47 am »
Tom Seaver, https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-tom-seaver-obituary-20200903-fyusabaogjepzf6uixn6476k5u-story.html

The long goodbye has ended. The Mets’ “Franchise” is gone.

Tom Seaver, the greatest of all Mets who dropped out of public life in March of 2019 after being diagnosed with dementia died early Monday. Accoring to family sources, Seaver, 75, died peacefully at his home in Calistoga, Calif., from complications from Lyme disease, dementia and COVID-19.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1134 on: September 03, 2020, 01:27:50 am »
RIP, The Franchise . . .

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1135 on: September 03, 2020, 02:49:01 am »

Seaver, 75, died peacefully at his home in Calistoga, Calif., from complications from Lyme disease, dementia and COVID-19.

@PeteS in CA

Ahhh,another tragic COVID-19 death!

Here was a pro-athlete te,struck down in the prime of his life due to Trump!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1136 on: September 03, 2020, 10:50:28 am »
RIP, The Franchise . . .

Another great, gone. RIP. See you in Cooperstown Sir. Hopefully soon.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1137 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:13 pm »
Cardinals legend Lou Brock dies Sunday afternoon at 81
By Rick Hummel
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

St. Louis Cardinals' Hall of Famer Lou Brock, who had fought through a number of medical conditions in recent years, died Sunday afternoon. He was 81.

Brock will be remembered for many accomplishments. He was the National League’s all-time leader in stolen bases with 938. He had 3,023 hits. He was a first-ballot electee into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

But he may be known mostly as the centerpiece of what was perceived as the greatest trade in Cardinals history. Or just greatest baseball trade ever. On June 15, 1964, the Cardinals acquired Brock, a raw, 24-year-old outfielder from the Chicago Cubs in a trade that cost them popular righthander Ernie Broglio, who had been an 18-game winner for them the prior season although he was 3-5 in 1964 and perhaps injured. 

Immediately, the trade was not well received by the Cardinals’ players. "We thought it was the worst trade ever,” said Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson.

After all, Southern University product Brock had batted only .263, .258 and .251 in his 2 ½ years with the Cubs, albeit hitting some prodigious home runs, including one to dead center field in New York’s historic Polo Grounds.

But Brock,  not counted on for power but as a table setter for the Cardinals, would hit .348 the rest of the 1964 season and steal 33 bases as the Cardinals rallied to win the National League pennant on the last day of the regular season and went on to beat the New York Yankees in a seven-game World Series to bring St. Louis its first World Series title since 1946 . . .

Unlikely trivia: Power hitter though he wasn't when Lou Brock was a Cub he became only the third man in baseball history to hit a home run to either side of the Polo Grounds center field bleachers---468 feet from home plate---when he did it off the Mets in 1962. (The two previous: Luke Easter, in a 1948 Negro Leagues game; and, Joe Adcock of the Milwaukee Braves in 1953.)

Brock was green enough at the time, he said later, that when he saw the second base ump giving the signal for a home run he thought it meant he had a shot at an inside-the-park home run. Brock had no idea what he did until his teammates mobbed him back in the dugout and fellow Hall of Famer Ron Santo hollered, "Did you see where that ball went? I needed binoculars!"

The following night, the Braves came to the Polo Grounds to play the Mets---and Hall of Famer Henry Aaron hit one to just about the same spot where Brock's shot traveled.

RIP Lou.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 11:00:16 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1138 on: September 09, 2020, 02:43:40 pm »
Two great baseball players dying in the same week. I hope this one doesn’t go in threes.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1139 on: September 09, 2020, 03:47:29 pm »
Converse came out with a Lou Brock baseball tennis shoe when I was a kid in little league.
I had a pair. They weren't any more expensive than the regular Chuck Taylor Converse, as I recall.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1140 on: September 09, 2020, 11:16:17 pm »
Converse came out with a Lou Brock baseball tennis shoe when I was a kid in little league.
I had a pair. They weren't any more expensive than the regular Chuck Taylor Converse, as I recall.
Yeah, but CHucks were expensive, maybe $12-14 when you could get a cheap pair of sneakers for $2.50
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1141 on: September 10, 2020, 03:09:18 am »
Yeah, but CHucks were expensive, maybe $12-14 when you could get a cheap pair of sneakers for $2.50
Converse sneakers were the gold standard back in those days. I never owned my own pair but got my older brother's pair when he got new ones.
I was convinced lacking proper brand name sneaks prevented me from being the great, super athlete I was destined to be.  8888crybaby

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1142 on: September 10, 2020, 03:32:20 am »
Converse sneakers were the gold standard back in those days. I never owned my own pair but got my older brother's pair when he got new ones.
I was convinced lacking proper brand name sneaks prevented me from being the great, super athlete I was destined to be.  8888crybaby
What? Your PF Flyers didn't help you 'run faster and jump higher'?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1143 on: September 10, 2020, 03:40:21 am »
What? Your PF Flyers didn't help you 'run faster and jump higher'?

Spalding Hightops were good enough for me... And you could roof in them too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1144 on: September 10, 2020, 03:46:28 am »
@goatprairie
You bought into that rumour too?  wink777

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1145 on: September 10, 2020, 03:48:33 am »
Spalding Hightops were good enough for me... And you could roof in them too.
I had a pair of Chucks that got through a year of gym class, and made it through two months of work on the seawall crew before they shelled out. In all fairness, lesser sneakers would fall apart in two or three weeks.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #1146 on: September 10, 2020, 01:37:27 pm »
Liberty Specials were $2.00 and would last the whole school year and into summer.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1147 on: September 10, 2020, 02:41:18 pm »
Dame Diana Rigg: Actress dies aged 82

Actress Dame Diana Rigg, famous for roles including Emma Peel in TV series The Avengers and Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones, has died at the age of 82.

"She died peacefully early this morning. She was at home with her family who have asked for privacy at this difficult time," her agent said.

Dame Diana is also known for playing Tracy, the only woman who became Mrs James Bond, in 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

She also appeared in ITV's Victoria.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54106509

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1148 on: September 10, 2020, 02:46:18 pm »
I never saw Game of Thrones, but I did catch an episode or two of The Avengers.

RIP, Dame Diana.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1149 on: September 10, 2020, 02:48:33 pm »
Dame Diana Rigg: Actress dies aged 82

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54106509

My folks always watched The Avengers, dad loved Ms Rigg. RIP.

I was appalled to learn Patrick McKnee was an avowed nudist later in life.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:50:55 pm by skeeter »