Author Topic: BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!  (Read 15900 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2020, 04:37:41 am »
WOW!!  Hot Dayum!

THAT was a Classic AB vs. Chapman by Brosseau in the bottom 8th.

"Eff the Yankees!!"    :tongue2:

Like Harold Reynolds said to Brosseau postgame..."You're a better man than me!  After seeing that 100 mph throw at my head, I'd be 'seeing' that pitch forever!!"

:2popcorn:
@DCPatriot

Once upon a time, Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote, "“The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.” His near-namesake Ray proved that tonight!  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2020, 05:39:36 am »
@DCPatriot

Once upon a time, Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote, "“The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.” His near-namesake Ray proved that tonight!  wink777

@EasyAce

This game tonight...why we all LOVE baseball!

In hindsight, I would have walked Brosseau after he fouled off the 3-2 pitch the 1st time.  He had seen every one of my weapons. Let the guy in the on-deck circle stand in there.   :laugh:

Didn't it ever occur to 'Adonis' to throw something off-speed?  Does he even HAVE a change-up? Seems to me that even a 90 mph pitch in the same place would have Brosseau WAY out in front.

IMO, that AB was up there with the one-legged Dodger, Kirk Gibson's in '88 and Jim Rice's 'Flagpole' moonshot in 75.  A ten-pitch clinic on how to eat cheese.   happy77

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:57:13 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2020, 02:22:37 pm »
@EasyAce

This game tonight...why we all LOVE baseball!
@DCPatriot
That game was a classic illustration of why it's a shame that somebody has to lose.

In hindsight, I would have walked Brosseau after he fouled off the 3-2 pitch the 1st time.  He had seen every one of my weapons. Let the guy in the on-deck circle stand in there.   :laugh:
There was only one problem with that idea: Neither Brosseau nor on-deck hitter Yandy Diaz had ever faced Chapman more than twice before, and of the pair of them Diaz had a hit in two plate appearances while Brosseau never had. No one's going to predict it would be Brosseau hitting the long ball off Chapman with that information at hand. Chapman's mistake was throwing down and in on that tenth pitch when he'd started Brosseau with a pair of strikes the second one of which was a swinging strike on a fastball up in the zone. Just why Gary Sanchez was in the game at all by that point (the Yankees inexplicably switched him in for Kyle Higashikoa who was calling a terrific game), never mind calling for something down and in when Brosseau fouled off four out of five pitches down (the one he didn't foul was ball three), remains a mystery.

Didn't it ever occur to 'Adonis' to throw something off-speed?  Does he even HAVE a change-up? Seems to me that even a 90 mph pitch in the same place would have Brosseau WAY out in front.
Chapman's repertoire includes a splitter and a slider. He threw Brosseau one splitter and two sliders; both sliders were fouled off. If Sanchez was doing any thinking behind the plate, he might have told Chapman to throw the splitter on the tenth pitch and fooled Brosseau into an out.

IMO, that AB was up there with the one-legged Dodger, Kirk Gibson's in '88 and Jim Rice's 'Flagpole' moonshot in 75.  A ten-pitch clinic on how to eat cheese.   happy77
You mean Carlton Fisk. Rice was injured and missed that World Series.

There was also that fine day in the 1985 NLCS when the Dodgers were one out from the World Series, but Tommy Lasorda thought it was safe to let Tom Niedenfuer pitch to Jack Clark with first base open and weaker-hitting Andy Van Slyke on deck---and Jack the Ripper hit Niedenfuer's first pitch for a three-run homer to which the Dodgers had no answer in the bottom of the ninth.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2020, 10:54:44 pm »
Beside being very rich, wondering how Gerrit Cole is feeling right about now...home sitting on his ass.   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2020, 12:32:28 am »
Beside being very rich, wondering how Gerrit Cole is feeling right about now...home sitting on his ass.   :laugh:
@DCPatriot
Possibly, he might wonder how on earth he could have pitched his ass for nothing in Game Five.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2020, 01:38:46 am »
@DCPatriot
Possibly, he might wonder how on earth he could have pitched his ass for nothing in Game Five.

LOL!  True.

Atlanta has Game 2 locked down, too!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2020, 01:45:53 am »
LOL!  True.

Atlanta has Game 2 locked down, too!
@DCPatriot
That three-run homer by Corey Seager in the seventh has to be one of the most excuse-me homers of the postseason so far.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2020, 01:59:13 am »
@DCPatriot

I say again---these Rays are playing defense like the 1969 Mets: acrobats, jugglers, aerialists. The only thing missing seems to be paratroopers and human cannonballs.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2020, 03:19:02 am »
@DCPatriot

I say again---these Rays are playing defense like the 1969 Mets: acrobats, jugglers, aerialists. The only thing missing seems to be paratroopers and human cannonballs.

@EasyAce  @Polly Ticks

I agree....except Brosseau throws to 1st base like a girl as he gets up off the ground   {{{kidding...just kidding}}}  He sure makes Choi work.   :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2020, 03:54:50 am »
Might I remind everyone...the scores of the 1960 World Series which make Mickey Mantle weep

Game 1... 6-4 Pit
Game 2... 16-3 Yanks
Game 3... 10-0 Yanks
Game 4... 3-2 Pitt
Game 5... 5-2 Pitt
Game 6... 12-0 Yanks
Game 7... 10-9 Pitt

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2020, 02:46:03 pm »
Might I remind everyone...the scores of the 1960 World Series which make Mickey Mantle weep

Game 1... 6-4 Pit
Game 2... 16-3 Yanks
Game 3... 10-0 Yanks
Game 4... 3-2 Pitt
Game 5... 5-2 Pitt
Game 6... 12-0 Yanks
Game 7... 10-9 Pitt

So...the Yankees actually "won" because they got the most runs. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2020, 03:26:27 pm »

LOL!

Just trying to ease Braves' fans nerves.  Blow-outs are relatively harmless, except for corporations paying for commercial spots as the game progresses.

Who wants to tune in in the top of the 2nd inning and see that your team is 12 runs down?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2020, 03:27:31 pm »

That was an A-MAZ-ing series. :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2020, 03:36:46 pm »
That was an A-MAZ-ing series. :cool:

ISWYDT

:cool:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2020, 04:41:47 pm »

Game 1... 6-4 Pit
Game 2... 16-3 Yanks
Game 3... 10-0 Yanks
Game 4... 3-2 Pitt
Game 5... 5-2 Pitt
Game 6... 12-0 Yanks
Game 7... 10-9 Pitt
@DCPatriot
@Cyber Liberty

Might I remind one and all that Casey Stengel's biggest mistake---and he admitted as much in the memoir he published a year or so later---was failing to align his 1960 Series pitching rotation to enable three starts for his Hall of Famer Whitey Ford, who only pitched in (and won) two games.

I'm sure I don't have to remind one and all that the 1960 Yankees weren't the only team to out-score the opposition cumulatively in a World Series and still lose the Series. Allow me to present the roll:

1912 - The New York Giants outscored the Boston Red Sox by six---and lost a seven-game Series.
1918 - The Chicago Cubs outscored the Red Sox by one---and lost a six-game Series.
1924 - The Giants out-scored the Washington Senators by one---and lost in seven. (Sorry, can't resist: the Ancient Nats won Game Seven with a bullpen game.)
1925 - The Senators out-scored the Pittsburgh Pirates by a run---and lost in seven.
1931 - The Philadelphia Athletics out-scored the St. Louis Cardinals by three---and lost in seven.
1940 - The Detroit Tigers out-scored the Cincinnati Reds by six---and lost in seven.
1957 - The New York Yankees out-scored the Milwaukee Braves by two---and lost in seven.
1959 - The Go-Go White Sox out-scored the Los Angeles Dodgers by two---and lost in six.
1962 - The San Francisco Giants out-scored the Yankees by one---and lost in seven.
1964 - Not to be out-done, the Yankees out-scored the Cardinals by a run---and lost in seven.
1971 - The Baltimore Orioles out-scored the Pirates by one---and lost in seven.
1972 - The Big Red Machine out-scored the Swingin' A's by five---and lost in seven.
1973 - The "You Gotta Believe" New York Mets out-scored the A's by three---and lost in seven.
1975 - The Red Sox out-scored the Big Red Machine by one---and lost in seven.
1977 - The Dodgers out-scored the Bronx Zoo by two---and lost in six.
1991 - The Atlanta Braves out-scored the Minnesota Twins by five---and lost in seven.
1992 - The Braves out-scored the Toronto Blue Jays by three---and lost in six.
1996 - The Braves out-scored the Yankees by eight---and lost in six.
1997 - The Cleveland Indians out-scored the Florida Marlins by seven---and lost in seven.
2002 - The Giants out-scored the Anaheim Angels by three---and lost in seven.
2003 - The Yankees out-scored the Marlins by four---and lost in six.
2019 - Last year's Houston Astros out-scored the Washington Nationals by ten---and lost in seven.

The 1960 Yankees have the largest plus-run differential for a Series-losing team in World Series history; the 2019 Astros have the second-largest.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2020, 05:18:23 pm »
Good work there, as usual.  You're a walking encyclopedia.   :laugh:
@DCPatriot
Actually, I'm a sitting encyclopedia (I love to walk, but I tend to think rather than just rifle through my mental file cabinets when I walk)---and I usually sit in front of a rather vast baseball library behind my desk in my little home office, some of which I show you here . . .

But my only point in listing the scores, was to soothe the nerves of anyone nervous that the BIG, BAD DODGERS have awakened.  Nothing to do with TOTAL RUNS SCORED in the series.
Point taken well.

However . . . to the best of my knowledge, only the 1960 Pirates ever recovered from even one blowout loss---never mind three---to win a postseason series or a World Series. According to the Society for American Baseball Research's new book, Baseball's Biggest Blowout Games*, only one postseason team ever got blown out in one game only to go on and win the set: in the 2001 American League division series, the Indians blew out the Seattle Mariners, 17-2, in Game Three . . . but the Mariners won the set in five only to lose the ALCS to the Yankees.

* - I have a direct interest in that book, which addresses predominantly the four biggest blowout wins in each franchise's history---I was the "team captain" for the segment on the Los Angeles Angels, including writing the segment's introduction and essays on two of the Angel blowouts, both in 2001.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 05:43:27 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2020, 09:46:54 pm »
One more tribute to a classic baseball character, may he leave the angels of the Lord in stitches . . .

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2020, 04:34:05 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

St. Louis catcher Yadier Molina is a free agent and I've just heard that the Washington Nationals are interested.

NO WAY, JOSE!!   He's a cheater.

Instead of having his pitcher possibly being caught doctoring the baseball, Molina is the culprit.

All he has to do is rub/scrape the baseball on his lower chest protector before returning a pitch to the mound...thereby assisting the pitcher in being able to better grip on the ball and interfere with the physics of flight.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2020, 03:04:02 am »
@DCPatriot

Says Yadier Molina, who wasn't a Gold Glove finalist this year: "I do not know if it is MLB or whoever it is but it is clear that they do not want this Puerto Rican jibarito [the word means, roughly, "little yokel"---EA] to tie with the great Johnny Bench."

Bench holds the National League record for catchers with ten Gold Gloves.

Say I: MLB or whoever it was had no problem with a Puerto Rican jibarito (and Hall of Famer) named Ivan Rodriguez holding the major league record for catchers with thirteen Gold Gloves.

Yadier Molina is talking through his sombrero.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2020, 04:44:54 am »
Dodger fans have a little, shall we say, mad fun (and forgetting social distancing, alas) after Game Two of the World Series in Arlington TX . . .

Canned feud

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2020, 04:59:08 am »
@DCPatriot

Says Yadier Molina, who wasn't a Gold Glove finalist this year: "I do not know if it is MLB or whoever it is but it is clear that they do not want this Puerto Rican jibarito [the word means, roughly, "little yokel"---EA] to tie with the great Johnny Bench."

Bench holds the National League record for catchers with ten Gold Gloves.

Say I: MLB or whoever it was had no problem with a Puerto Rican jibarito (and Hall of Famer) named Ivan Rodriguez holding the major league record for catchers with thirteen Gold Gloves.

Yadier Molina is talking through his sombrero.

:beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2020, 07:49:22 pm »
@DCPatriot

Season's over, off-season under way, too much time on my hands.

So I came up with some matchups you'd love to see. Real players involved. Some of them might actually have faced each other in actuality, even . . .

Candy Cummings vs. Taffy Wright
Satchel Paige vs. Buddy Booker
Ryan Sherriff vs. Jimmy Outlaw
Bob Lemon vs. Jose Lima
Cool Papa Bell vs. Gary (Ding Dong) Bell
The Bird vs. The Penguin (Mark Fidrych vs. Ron Cey)
Pistol Pete Reiser vs. Bullet Bob Turley
The Spaceman vs. Dr. Strangeglove (Bill Lee vs. Dick Stuart)
Sad Sam Jones vs. Happy Felsch
Duke Snider vs. King Carl Hubbell
King Kong vs. The Monster (Charlie Keller vs. Dick Radatz)
Oil Can Boyd vs. Greasy Neale
Moonlight Graham vs. Blue Moon Odom
Prince Fielder vs. Roy Hitt
Mike Butcher vs. Home Run Baker (in Candlestick Park, maybe?)
Frank Viola vs. Piano Legs Hickman
Brad Penny vs. Hunter Pence
Wes Stock vs. Barry Bonds
Steve Hamilton vs. Jack Beach
General Crowder vs. Admiral Schlei
Vernon Law vs. Joe Judge
The Big Bear vs. Kung Fu Panda (Mike Garcia vs. Pablo Sandoval)
The Springfield Rifle vs. The Toy Cannon (Vic Raschi vs. Jimmy Wynn)
The Nasty Boys vs. the Gas House Gang (The 1990 Cincinnati bullpen aces Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble, and Randy Myers vs. the 1934 St. Louis Cardinals)
Eddie Watt vs. Sparky Anderson
Stan the Man vs. Stan the Man Unusual (Stan Musial vs. Don Stanhouse)
Goofy vs. Crazy (Lefty Gomez vs. Jimmy Piersall)
Steve Barber vs. Jon Shave
Pedro Borbon vs. Gene Rye
Larry Sherry vs. Bobby Wine
Goose Gossage vs. Chicken Hawks
Mudcat Grant vs. Kitty Bransfield
Mel Queen vs. Jim King
Jimmy Key vs. Don Lock
Preacher Roe vs. Ryan Church
Whitey Ford vs. John Dodge
Dick Hoover vs. Dixie Upright
Jim Abbot vs. Dan Costello
Spud Chandler vs. Bob Veale
Jim French vs. Woodie Fryman
Charlie Morton vs. Salty Parker
Fred Waters vs. Curt Flood
Matt Joyce vs. Rex Brothers
Kid Gleason vs. Carney Lansford
Cot Deal vs. Sleeper Sullivan
Joe Black vs. Steve Decker
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:55:24 pm by EasyAce »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2020, 09:08:22 pm »
@EasyAce

WOW!   Impressive.   I've never heard of the majority of those names/match-ups.   :laugh:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:16 pm »
@EasyAce

WOW!   Impressive.   I've never heard of the majority of those names/match-ups.   :laugh:
@DCPatriot
Most of them are fictitious based on their names---but a few of those pairs might actually have faced each other for real!

You have to wonder, though, who thought of which gags when Preacher Roe faced Johnny Temple . . .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:55:58 pm by EasyAce »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2020, 10:10:01 pm »
I like your style Ace...someone who can focus on the mundane during these turbulent times.  Well done!

Nothing like drawing our minds away from possibly stressful situations to that which is fantasy.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.