Author Topic: BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!  (Read 15956 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:26:52 am »
. . . and just 41 days to spring training!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

Re: BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 05:28:28 am »
Ex-Astros reliever Will Harris agrees with Nationals on 3-year deal

Former Houston Astros reliever Will Harris has reached an agreement on a three-year deal with the Washington Nationals, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Passan on Thursday.

Harris should jump into an eighth-inning role and could get save opportunities, too, according to Passan. USA Today reported the deal is worth $24 million . . .

I guess you can file this under "if you can't beat them, sign with them" . . .  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 06:27:43 pm »
Astros not doing much this off-season, so far.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:52:48 pm »
Since former MLB player Aubrey Huff now seems to think it would be just wonderful

to kidnap and enslave Iranian women, I'd like to go on record saying . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 05:01:29 pm »
Astros hire Dusty Baker to manage the team, 1 year with an option.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 06:29:26 pm »
Spring training has arrived.

It is a bit different this year...............

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 06:35:41 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 01:49:19 pm »
Well, real-life baseball is on hold because of all the social distancing, but MLB is adapting with eSports: The Show Players League.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-the-show-20-players-league-live-results-how-to-watch-mlb-players/1er32zbwxdhcv143tjr6qlgdwj
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 02:22:14 pm »
I miss baseball.

I miss seeing my bat dog at games too. :(

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 09:30:05 pm »
I miss baseball.

Me, too.  I haven't had the heart to change my avatar yet since there are no games being played.
 8888crybaby
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 10:40:53 pm »
Me, too.  I haven't had the heart to change my avatar yet since there are no games being played.
 8888crybaby
@Polly Ticks
Never surrender!!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 12:52:28 am »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 01:58:41 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 03:18:35 pm »
https://www.mlb.com/playersleague
Note that I did try watching some of this last night.

I've been watching a few "virtual sports" leagues lately. This one, and then I'm watching the Simulation Football League (which has been around for a few years and long before this outbreak) and Major League Rugby's virtual competitions; I haven't checked out NASCAR's eRacing circuit yet. The Show League felt too fast; all that downtime between pitches and at-bats was eliminated and everything felt so rushed. It just didn't feel like baseball. (On top of that, there were a few too many technical glitches that left some matches unwatchable.)

On the other hand, Simulation Football League feels like real football and not just gamers playing football... they aimed to do that from the start with that league.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 11:40:33 pm »
Which former MLB players are getting ready to play in South Korea?
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/which-former-mlb-players-are-getting-ready-to-play-in-the-kbo.html

Season starts May 5. So far, the preseason has gone without a hitch.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 10:41:37 pm »
Manny Ramirez wants to play in Taiwan in 2020
The 48-year-old played in Taiwan once before, in 2013. Taiwan is one of the few countries that is still playing professional sports right now.
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/04/29/manny-ramirez-wants-to-play-in-taiwan-in-2020/

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 05:17:08 pm »
I'm thinking that the fact there are no games being played at the start of a season in ridiculously cold weather temperatures, players who are known for their slow starts might not experience the same this year.

It's already a month of 90 degrees plus here in D.C..

For that reason, being a 60 game sprint and not a marathon, perhaps we'll see someone hit .400 for the 'season'.

Also, because of same, pitchers won't have a problem "feeling" / gripping the ball and therefore may have better "stuff".

IMHO, the Nationals have an excellent chance of repeating as world champs.

The loss of Rendon hopefully won't be a factor...although I'm also a strong believer in the abstract contributions to a clubhouse/dugout such as happened with "Baby Shark" Parra last year.

Tonight is "SCHERZDAY" !!!    :2popcorn:  vs. the Yankees in Washington.  Hopefully the rain will happen before 7pm so it cools off the field.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 05:28:21 pm »
IMHO, the Nationals have an excellent chance of repeating as world champs.
A better chance than even you think. They seem to be the sleepers in the talk over who's going to go all the way this truncated season, but then again we learned last year how un-allergic the Nats are to opening cans of surprises.

The loss of Rendon hopefully won't be a factor...although I'm also a strong believer in the abstract contributions to a clubhouse/dugout such as happened with "Baby Shark" Parra last year.
Parra was invaluable for that, but the Nats are one team who don't exactly lack for clubhouse or dugout enthusiasm. If they could have made even heretofore-stoic Stephen Strasburg dance, I wouldn't exactly worry about them.

Tonight is "SCHERZDAY" !!!    :2popcorn:  vs. the Yankees in Washington.  Hopefully the rain will happen before 7pm so it cools off the field.
Even in the present circumstances, Max Scherzer v. Gerrit Cole is must-see pitching.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 05:43:32 pm »
A better chance than even you think. They seem to be the sleepers in the talk over who's going to go all the way this truncated season, but then again we learned last year how un-allergic the Nats are to opening cans of surprises.
Parra was invaluable for that, but the Nats are one team who don't exactly lack for clubhouse or dugout enthusiasm. If they could have made even heretofore-stoic Stephen Strasburg dance, I wouldn't exactly worry about them.
Even in the present circumstances, Max Scherzer v. Gerrit Cole is must-see pitching.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail, @EasyAce

Going to be strange with piped-in crowd noise, etc.. 

They should simply pretend it's like a sandlot game we all played as kids.  The only 'fan' noise were the players themselves.

Somebody suggested in one of the parks, they needed a repertoire of sorts for home runs.

For example when you're down 7-2 in the 8th inning and you hit a bases' empty HR, you don't pipe in the noise when Mazerowski hit it over the ivy in Left Field in Game 7 to beat the Yankees.

We've heard it already for years, when I've watched a Spring Training game in Florida with merely 200 people scattered in the seats.  Not fun.

@EasyAce     Are they planning to utilize the catcher's mask camera recently seen in that TV spot? 

Why go halfway?  Make the damned umpire wear it.   LOL!

In super-slo-mo, it will be instructive to the viewer to see where contact is made on the bat...how far extended the bat was, etc., hitting it into the ground vs. just over the SS's head.

So, I'm looking forward to it as long they don't overuse it.

Even Joe Biden could appreciate the physics.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 06:24:53 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail, @EasyAce

Going to be strange with piped-in crowd noise, etc.. 

They should simply pretend it's like a sandlot game we all played as kids.  The only 'fan' noise were the players themselves.

Somebody suggested in one of the parks, they needed a repertoire of sorts for home runs.

For example when you're down 7-2 in the 8th inning and you hit a bases' empty HR, you don't pipe in the noise when Mazerowski hit it over the ivy in Left Field in Game 7 to beat the Yankees.

We've heard it already for years, when I've watched a Spring Training game in Florida with merely 200 people scattered in the seats.  Not fun.

@EasyAce     Are they planning to utilize the catcher's mask camera recently seen in that TV spot? 

Why go halfway?  Make the damned umpire wear it.   LOL!

In super-slo-mo, it will be instructive to the viewer to see where contact is made on the bat...how far extended the bat was, etc., hitting it into the ground vs. just over the SS's head.

So, I'm looking forward to it as long they don't overuse it.

Even Joe Biden could appreciate the physics.    :laugh:
@DCPatriot
I can think of more important things for umpires to wear. Super-acute eyeglasses would be tops among those.  :tongue2:

But I am wondering something else---among the people piping in the crowd sounds in the ballpark, who's going to be the first poor schnook who hits the button for loud, wild applause by mistake when the home team's batter gets hit by a pitch?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:24 pm »
@DCPatriot
This just in---Juan Soto has tested COVID-19 positive. Missing Opening Night and more.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 06:33:34 pm »
@DCPatriot
This just in---Juan Soto has tested COVID-19 positive. Missing Opening Night and more.

***suicide***

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 06:35:13 pm »
@EasyAce

I'm calling bullsh*t!

I'll bet he's asymptomatic.  GD Vegas bookies.   9999hair out0000

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 06:38:40 pm »
It will go one without me! I've seen my list pro game either live or on TV. The fact is that I hope MLB, the NFL, and the NBA all go bankrupt!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 06:45:15 pm »
It will go one without me! I've seen my list pro game either live or on TV. The fact is that I hope MLB, the NFL, and the NBA all go bankrupt!

@Bigun

I'd probably be right there too.  Haven't watched an NBA game in decades.  ...carjackers in shorts.

And because the Redskins have been league fodder for over a generation, haven't watched a set of downs in years.  Not even the Super Bowl.

Baseball is different.  It's peaceful where anything can happen.

Plus, It's Scherzer vs. Cole    :laugh:      'YOUR' Gerit Cole, Earl!!   LOL