Author Topic: Drones May be over Times Square this New Year’s Eve  (Read 381 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Drones May be over Times Square this New Year’s Eve
« on: December 31, 2019, 06:44:47 pm »
Everything we know about the drones watching over Times Square on New Year’s Eve

If weather permits, the New York City Police Department will fly drones over tonight’s New Year’s Eve celebration in Times Square, marking the first time that unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) have been used to patrol the skies at the annual event.

At a press briefing on Dec. 27, NYPD counterterrorism chief Martine Materasso outlined the extensive security measures that city police will be taking, bolstered by federal law enforcement partners that include the FBI. An estimated 1 million revelers will be kept safe by bomb-sniffing dogs, radiation-detection teams, heavy-weapons squads, police helicopters, counterterrorism boats, plainclothes cops, and drone detection and interdiction units.

Obviously, drones are a great resource that provides a bird’s-eye view over a large area,” Joe Giacalone, a former NYPD detective sergeant who now teaches at New York City’s John Jay College of Criminal Justice, told Quartz. “When policing large crowds, they can spot areas where trouble might be brewing.”

The NYPD wanted to bring drones to last year’s Times Square celebration, but its UAVs were grounded by rain.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

Re: Drones May be over Times Square this New Year’s Eve
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 12:26:36 am »
Watched a report on ABC about all the security precautions being taken tonight in New York City.  Not a fan of drones ordinarily, but if they can help keep people safe, I'm all for them.  Just so the weather cooperates. 

Happy New Year to you @Gefn

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 12:28:15 am »
Watched a report on ABC about all the security precautions being taken tonight in New York City.  Not a fan of drones ordinarily, but if they can help keep people safe, I'm all for them.  Just so the weather cooperates. 

Happy New Year to you @Gefn

You too @Applewood .

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 01:08:04 am »
One of my bucket list items is to go to NYC from Christmas thru NYE.  But on NYE I want to be in some kind of suite above Times Square sipping champagne.
Of course, I'll also fly there in a private plane.

Oh well, I have lots of things on my bucket list that will never happen. happy77 But everyone needs a bucket list.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 09:29:32 am »
One of my bucket list items is to go to NYC from Christmas thru NYE.  But on NYE I want to be in some kind of suite above Times Square sipping champagne.
Of course, I'll also fly there in a private plane.

Oh well, I have lots of things on my bucket list that will never happen. happy77 But everyone needs a bucket list.

Everyone does need a bucket list. Agreed. @berdie