Author Topic: Activist who raised awareness about transphobia murdered in Toronto  (Read 557 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Activist who raised awareness about transphobia murdered in Toronto

When Julie Berman came up to the open mic at the trans day of remembrance event on Nov. 20, 2017, she delivered a speech about transphobia in Toronto. She talked about a trans friend of hers that was murdered.

On Sunday, a little over two years later, the trans woman and activist was assaulted and murdered.

“It’s really heartbreaking ... the same thing that she was trying to be vocal about happened to her,” said Davina Hader, a friend of the victim and a member of The 519, an organization that advocates for the inclusion of LGBTQ communities’ members and provides services for them.

Read more at:  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/toronto/article-activist-who-raised-awareness-about-transphobia-murdered-in-toronto/?__twitter_impression=true

In Latin America, you see this happen, but Canada?  The story has caused a big discussion on twitter and elsewhere. I don't see a motive listed yet.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Activist who raised awareness about transphobia murdered in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 12:31:21 am »
In Latin America, you see this happen, but Canada?  The story has caused a big discussion on twitter and elsewhere. I don't see a motive listed yet.

Hit on the wrong guy?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:33:10 am »
Jealous lover?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:41:42 am »
Hit on the wrong guy?

The cannoli  fell short.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 01:17:59 am »
I'm betting this had nothing to do with this guy's so-called trans activism. It probably was just a robbery gone wrong.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:21:02 am »
I'm betting this had nothing to do with this guy's so-called trans activism. It probably was just a robbery gone wrong.

Or a drug deal.  Usually it's drug deals.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 01:26:30 am »
Or a drug deal.  Usually it's drug deals.
Or A back door man.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 02:05:50 am »
Or A back door man.

Matthew Shepard was both. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 10:05:46 pm »
Post Millenial, Andy Ngo. It's looking like a "nut" might have done this. someone with no history of being "transphobic".

Canadian News
Social media history of Julie Berman’s alleged killer paints a complicated picture

The homicide of transgender activist Julie Berman last week in Toronto remains under investigation but her death has sent shockwaves across Canada, leading to a torrent of rumours and speculation.

Colin Harnack, a 29-year-old Toronto resident, was charged with second-degree murder but his relationship to Berman and the LGBT community is still unknown. While Berman’s death has largely been interpreted by activists and politicians, including Toronto Mayor John Tory, as a transphobic hate crime, Harnack’s extensive social media posts complicate that narrative.

According to new information provided to The Post Millennial, Toronto Police detective Rob Choe says that Berman and Harnack met the day of the incident and spent time socializing together before the attack occurred. Choe was unable to confirm whether or not the two had become intimate and said police are still investigating.

Read more at: https://www.thepostmillennial.com/social-media-history-of-julie-bermans-alleged-killer-paints-a-complicated-picture/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 11:02:48 pm »
Berman and Harnack met the day of the incident and spent time socializing together before the attack occurred. Choe was unable to confirm whether or not the two had become intimate ...
Kind of like John W. Gacy or Jeffrey Dahmer and their "socializing" with the boys they later killed?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org