Briefing Room Polls (Guests Welcome!) > The Briefingroom Polls

Do you get along with your neighbors?

(1/12) > >>

corbe:
Sign Of The Times: 75% Of Adults Aren’t Friends With Any Of Their Neighbors

by John Anderer

Do you know your neighbors? Survey reveals that nearly 1 in 4 people are living somewhere with “no sense of community spirit” in their neighborhood.

LONDON — In decades past, it wasn’t uncommon at all for the average family to know each and every one of their neighbors living close by on the same street. Those dwelling on the same block would regularly gather for holiday parties in the winter, and barbecues during the summer. As the years have gone by, however, people have slowly become more inclined to keep to themselves and shy away from even greeting or speaking to their neighbors.

Now, a new survey of 2,000 British adults shows the staggering extent to which the concept of a neighborhood community has fallen by the wayside. In all, 75% say they consider their neighbors mere acquaintances at best. Sadly, nearly a quarter wouldn’t dream of knocking on one of their doors uninvited because there is “no sense of community spirit” in their neighborhood.

The survey, commissioned by Lottoland, also found that one in 10 modern adults mine as well be living next to an empty house as they only see their neighbors less than once per month. Still, four in 10 say they are at least “friendly” with a few of their neighbors, but still wouldn’t call them actual friends. The average survey respondent reports knowing the names of just five people living on their street.

Shockingly, one in 20 couldn’t name a single other person from his or her block.

<..snip..>

https://www.studyfinds.org/sign-of-the-times-75-of-adults-arent-friends-with-any-of-their-neighbors/

corbe:
   When I first bought this house 20 years ago, they called the cops on me 3 times for excessive (Stereo) noise, there is actually a City Ordinance with a hefty fine.   All those people have since moved on (to hell, probably).  Other than the young lady (45ish) closest to me we drink and party often, the other 4, we get along but I avoid them if I can.

libertybele:
Since we've moved in a year ago, we've met one of the neighbors to the left of us,the Walkers' Johnny (kid you not) and Shirley -- they're ok, he's kind of quirky and if I met him on the street and didn't know he was married, I'd say he's likely gay. She's seems nice enough.  They brought over some left over muffin/bread of some sort from their church when we met them; um... who brings leftovers to meet neighbors for the first time?  Just sayin'.  The nice thought was there I suppose.  We have empty lots on either side of us and hopefully they'll stay empty for awhile.  In back of us is a 80' canal -- then 4 side by side empty lot so don't have to worry about neighbors behind us.

EdinVA:
Living in liberalville, the neighbors stopped talking to me when I put my "I'm a deplorable" sticker on my truck...

Gefn:
Since I’ve moved I really haven’t met any of my new neighbors. I’m kinda lonely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version