Author Topic: Pope Francis Tells Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers  (Read 1436 times)

rangerrebew

Pope Francis Tells Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers

Ben White/Unsplash
Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.22 Dec 201925,986

ROME — Pope Francis told Christian high school students this weekend they should respect people of other faiths and not attempt to convert them to Christianity, insisting “we are not living in the times of the crusades.”

Asked by one of the students Friday how a Christian should treat people of other faiths or no faith, the pope said that “we are all the same, all children of God” and that true disciples of Jesus do not proselytize.

Francis said that his experience growing up in Argentina with its waves of immigration was a great help in learning to respect other people.

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/12/22/pope-francis-tells-christians-not-to-try-to-convert-nonbelievers/

rangerrebew

Re: Pope Francis Tells Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:17:30 pm »
In other words, "don't piss off Muslims because, to me, it looks like Allah is stronger than the God of Christianity."  So sayeth the Pope. :yowsa:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:18:11 pm »
Pope Francis Tells Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers

Ben White/Unsplash
Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.22 Dec 201925,986

ROME — Pope Francis told Christian high school students this weekend they should respect people of other faiths and not attempt to convert them to Christianity, insisting “we are not living in the times of the crusades.”

Asked by one of the students Friday how a Christian should treat people of other faiths or no faith, the pope said that “we are all the same, all children of God” and that true disciples of Jesus do not proselytize.

Francis said that his experience growing up in Argentina with its waves of immigration was a great help in learning to respect other people.

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/12/22/pope-francis-tells-christians-not-to-try-to-convert-nonbelievers/
*****rollingeyes*****

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 05:37:18 pm »
What Francis actually said (well down in the article):

“You must be consistent with your faith,” he said. “It never occurred to me (and nor should it) to say to a boy or a girl: ‘You are Jewish, you are Muslim: come, be converted!’ You be consistent with your faith and that consistency is what will make you mature. We are not living in the times of the crusades.”

“The last thing I should do is to try to convince an unbeliever. Never,” he said. “The last thing I should do is speak. I should live my faith with consistency. And it will be my witness that will awaken the curiosity of the other who may then ask: ‘But why do you do this?’ And yes, then I can speak.”

“But listen, the gospel is never, ever advanced through proselytism,” he continued. “If someone says he is a disciple of Jesus and comes to you with proselytism, he is not a disciple of Jesus. Proselytism is not the way; the Church does not grow by proselytism.”

IOW, the article headline is misleading at best. One can disagree with how he said evangelism should be done, but he did not forbid it.

Part of the background to his remarks is that Argentina and other South American countries have experienced significant growth by Evangelical Christian groups, who are less passive in their outreach than Francis urges. IMO, Francis, as a leader in Argentina, should have learned rather than rejected and envied; and maybe read the Book of Acts.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:47:50 am »
Exactly opposite to what Jesus told the disciples to do.

Apostasy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:01:11 am »
Exactly opposite to what Jesus told the disciples to do.

Apostasy.

Well if the Catholic Church revolves around the Pope I would say he has finally made the church irrelevant.  If you take away the mission there is no church.  No purpose, no church.

This is happening in other Christian churches also. 

I'm not trying to convert the Jewish people to the Christian faith... In fact, trying to convert Jews is a waste of time. Jews already have a covenant with God and that has never been replaced by Christianity.

-John Hagee

Sadly both of these people know what is written in the Bible but they deny Jesus.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:46:15 pm »
Thanks for posting what he said, Pete, but I have to wonder whether he ever has read Acts 2, let alone Paul's various epistles. What does he think Paul was doing in all his travels?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 08:03:50 pm »

IOW, the article headline is misleading at best. One can disagree with how he said evangelism should be done, but he did not forbid it.

Part of the background to his remarks is that Argentina and other South American countries have experienced significant growth by Evangelical Christian groups, who are less passive in their outreach than Francis urges. IMO, Francis, as a leader in Argentina, should have learned rather than rejected and envied; and maybe read the Book of Acts.

You are a good man Charlie Brown!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 10:44:30 pm »
Repeating, the Almighty is merciful as this buffoon is 83 not 38!!!
Don't be shocked if it's revealed that Frankie was unconsciously talking
about himself when he told Christians not to try converting non-believers;
as his Catholic Faith is about as robust as that of my neighbor's Beagle!!!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:43:58 pm by Absalom »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:44 pm »
Repeating, the Almighty is merciful as this buffoon is 83 not 38!!!
Don't be shocked if it's revealed that Frankie was unconsciously talking
about himself when he told Christians not to try converting non-believers;
as his Catholic Faith is about as robust as that of my neighbor's Beagle!!!

Trying not to laugh.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 01:35:41 am »
Permit another reflection about Frankie Boy!
After slapping a woman's hands in St.Peter's Square,
he immediately raced for cameras to apologize; and
I instantly realized that he was AOC all in white!!!
So a suggestion; this mensch belongs on tee-vee and
I know exactly where; on the VIEW embedded between
Joyless Baggage and Whoopsie Daisy.
Imagine the piety, the sanctimony, the sentimentality;
are we blessed or what ???????????????????????????

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:17:17 am by Absalom »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 02:42:09 am »
...learning to respect other people....
Don't have a dog is this fight but respect is a two way street.
If it is only one way, you get run over.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 03:29:44 am »

Ok, the headline should read "Pope says not to talk to other folks of religion with the intention of converting them and if you do you are not a true Christian...... and then he quotes a poem that is not historically accurate to shame Christians.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 03:32:04 am »
"ROME — Pope Francis told Christian high school students this weekend they should respect people of other faiths and not attempt to convert them to Christianity,..."

He means do this as Christ did it.  Christ taught in public and it was up to the individual person to accept it or not.  He did not force anyone to believe.  During the crusades, people were beaten and killed if they did not accept the church's belief and give what they had to the church.  Today, the Pope means live in the love of Christ and help others who need help but don't try to force people to your way of thinking.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 03:55:53 am »
"ROME — Pope Francis told Christian high school students this weekend they should respect people of other faiths and not attempt to convert them to Christianity,..."

He means do this as Christ did it.  Christ taught in public and it was up to the individual person to accept it or not.  He did not force anyone to believe.  During the crusades, people were beaten and killed if they did not accept the church's belief and give what they had to the church.  Today, the Pope means live in the love of Christ and help others who need help but don't try to force people to your way of thinking.

Well if that is the case he needs to learn how to STFU.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 04:44:23 am »
Well if that is the case he needs to learn how to STFU.

What I would say, sort of. 

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 03:10:13 pm »
I know this is a repeat of my post near the beginning of the thread, it seems some are criticizing Francis for something he didn't actually say. Re-run:

“You must be consistent with your faith,” he said. “It never occurred to me (and nor should it) to say to a boy or a girl: ‘You are Jewish, you are Muslim: come, be converted!’ You be consistent with your faith and that consistency is what will make you mature. We are not living in the times of the crusades.”

“The last thing I should do is to try to convince an unbeliever. Never,” he said. “The last thing I should do is speak. I should live my faith with consistency. And it will be my witness that will awaken the curiosity of the other who may then ask: ‘But why do you do this?’ And yes, then I can speak.”

“But listen, the gospel is never, ever advanced through proselytism,” he continued. “If someone says he is a disciple of Jesus and comes to you with proselytism, he is not a disciple of Jesus. Proselytism is not the way; the Church does not grow by proselytism.”

I'll go a little farther. What Francis said is the way to evangelize has been called "Lifestyle Evangelism" in Evangelical circles. The problem is not with the method Francis proposed, but in his saying that it is the way to evangelize. In so saying, he disregarded what the Book of Acts says of evangelism in the 1st Century church.

But criticizing Francis for saying not to evangelize at at is to criticize him for something he did not say.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 05:21:48 pm »
Ok,I am probably not the most religious person posting here,but WTH IS THIS GUY THINKING??????

He HAS to be senile. Is there no mechanism in place for the Cardinals to remove his ass and replace him with someone within shouting distance of sane?

Hell,this goober actually slapped the hand of a woman reaching out to touch him as he passed by her yesterday.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:33 pm »
When I was a young girl in Catholic Sunday School, we kids were taught that we should go out and convert all non-Catholics.  I lived in a predominantly Catholic town, but the only non-Catholic I knew was a friend of my older  brother.  This friend was a big, strapping fella even as a kid.  No way was I going to try to convert him.  He'd squash me like a bug.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 07:57:08 pm »
Why are Protestant "evangelicals," even interested in the Catholic Pope?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 08:32:37 pm »
Why are Protestant "evangelicals," even interested in the Catholic Pope?
He's a prominent figure in the world, who opines on the major issues of the day as if people should listen to him. Why are Americans interested in the British royals? We're allowed to venture beyond our own four walls, now and again.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 08:52:23 pm »
Wow! Religion threads on TBR.
Don't make me get @Mrs Don-o over here. 22222frying pan

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 09:00:14 pm »
Wow! Religion threads on TBR.
Don't make me get @Mrs Don-o over here. 22222frying pan

This isn't a Religion thread. This about the Pope.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 09:07:26 pm »
He's a prominent figure in the world, who opines on the major issues of the day as if people should listen to him. Why are Americans interested in the British royals? We're allowed to venture beyond our own four walls, now and again.

Popes used to exert considerable influence  in world affairs and sometimes it was for the good.  John Paul II , for example, fought Communism.  This pope though is a meddlesome jerk who encourages Americans to break the law by welcoming illegal aliens and phony refugees, and if they don't, then they are branded as sinners.  The H with him.  Why doesn't he house all these "poor" people in his palatial abodes and take care of them?

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 09:25:56 pm »
This isn't a Religion thread. This about the Pope.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer