Author Topic: 'I don't want any officers' — Trump held private meetings with enlisted troops to candidly discuss  (Read 699 times)

rangerrebew

'I don't want any officers' — Trump held private meetings with enlisted troops to candidly discuss the war in Afghanistan
David Choi, Business Insider
December 25, 2019 at 04:29 PM

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Months after becoming president in 2017, Donald Trump began taking meetings with enlisted U.S. service members who deployed to Afghanistan in order to get a better understanding of America's longest war.

"I want to sit down with some enlisted guys that have been there," Trump told advisers, according to the national-security journalist Peter Bergen's latest book, "Trump and His Generals: The Cost of Chaos."

"I don't want any generals in here. I don't want any officers," Trump added, according to Bergen's book, which is sourced from dozens of interviews with current and former White House officials and military officers. "I just want enlisted guys."

https://taskandpurpose.com/trump-enlisted-troops-afghanistan

Offline Axeslinger

I just gained another notch of respect for the man.

In my experience, most officers aren’t worth the cost of their uniforms.  They’re low-level managers more interested in sucking up and don’t have a clue how the units they lead actually function. Ironically, the one group that I don’t feel this description conforms with:  pilots.  They all seemed to have their shit together.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dfwgator

In my experience, most officers aren’t worth the cost of their uniforms.  They’re low-level managers more interested in sucking up and don’t have a clue how the units they lead actually function. Ironically, the one group that I don’t feel this description conforms with:  pilots.  They all seemed to have their shit together.

Under Obama, "perfumed princes" were promoted.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Perhaps one reason for that is the long and grueling training they undergo. It was five and one half years from the time my son reported to Pensacola until he finished and went to the fleet. I'm not sure what the washout rate is, but I expect it pretty high, as there is little leniency for f ups, considering the cost of the training. btw, he was prior service (Mustang Marine) and he was "threatened" with the call sign Ted "Typical Enlisted Dude" which I think he would worn as a badge of honor. He got something else.