Author Topic: In All U.S. Military History, These Are the 5 Worst Generals  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: In All U.S. Military History, These Are the 5 Worst Generals
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2019, 01:58:08 am »
Anzio - Order of Battle
Clicking on the unit links will show the unit patch and history on the corresponding Wiki page, which might start to narrow down the outfit he was with. Many of these have veterans organizations and a lot of info online as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 02:06:07 am »
Anzio - Order of Battle

The "Soft Underbelly" sure turned into a "Tough Old Gut".

Online berdie

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »
Berdie, it there is a photo of him in uniform, unit patches may help you find out more about what unit he was in, and there are records which may be available on line.

Thanks @Smokin Joe . That is a great idea. My Grandma had a picture of him in uniform in her bedroom. Sadly, I have no idea where it is. I was very young when she passed and my cousins (that I know) have passed as well. I'll get on the trail at some point when there is more time. My curiousioty is piqued now. I was able to find a friend of my Dad's that served with him  several years ago...but he had an unusual name...not the common Martin my uncle sported.

rangerrebew

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2019, 06:10:08 pm »
It's interesting Grant was off the list.  At Cold Harbor he lost almost 10,000 men in 20 minutes, something for which he never forgave himself and a mistake he never made again.  If he and Lee had equal resources, I'd have to bet on Granny Lee.