Author Topic: Seattle Times updates style guide to capitalize 'Black'; keeps 'white' lowercase  (Read 663 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Friday, December 20, 2019

The Seattle Times has issued a new style guideline instructing staff to capitalize the word “Black” when referring to a culture, ethnicity or group of people, the newspaper announced Thursday evening.

The word “white,” however, will remain lowercase when referring to people with “light-colored skin, especially those of European descent,” the newspaper said.

The publication explained that capitalizing the term “Black” is necessary because it is a reflection of shared cultures and experiences, like foods, languages and music.” The word “white” however will remain lowercase because it merely refers to the physical description of people “whose backgrounds may spring from many different cultures,” the guideline states, adding that “capitalized ‘white’ is often used by the white nationalist/white supremacist movement.”

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/20/seattle-times-updates-style-guide-to-capitalize-bl/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Well, common usage of "Hispanic" ignores the fact that Caribbean, Central American, and South American countries have very distinct cultures. Why not also ignore the different cultures of Sub-Saharan African people groups, Caribbean nations, and various regions of the US?

'Cause they're all the same, right? :sarc:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

Well, common usage of "Hispanic" ignores the fact that Caribbean, Central American, and South American countries have very distinct cultures. Why not also ignore the different cultures of Sub-Saharan African people groups, Caribbean nations, and various regions of the US?
Because the Seattle Times is bigoted?

Maybe we should do what the Spanish do, and not capitalize adjectives at all.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Woo hoo - yet another way to trigger snowflakes without even trying - keep 'em coming!
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You know, this isn't the first time I've seen this tactic used by SJW types — I've seen activists for the hearing impaired try to establish Deaf with a capital D as a separate identity/community for people who are deaf — but it is an incredibly divisive tactic useful only for riling up mobs against each other.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Gee ... to think a double set of 'racial' standards in 2019.  The liberal MSM strikes again.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline goatprairie

Gee ... to think a double set of 'racial' standards in 2019.  The liberal MSM strikes again.
The liberal media will never drop the hoax of black oppression by evil, racist whites. "White supremacy" and all that nonsense.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Friday, December 20, 2019

The Seattle Times has issued a new style guideline instructing staff to capitalize the word “Black” when referring to a culture, ethnicity or group of people, the newspaper announced Thursday evening.

The word “white,” however, will remain lowercase when referring to people with “light-colored skin, especially those of European descent,” the newspaper said.

The publication explained that capitalizing the term “Black” is necessary because it is a reflection of shared cultures and experiences, like foods, languages and music.” The word “white” however will remain lowercase because it merely refers to the physical description of people “whose backgrounds may spring from many different cultures,” the guideline states, adding that “capitalized ‘white’ is often used by the white nationalist/white supremacist movement.”

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/20/seattle-times-updates-style-guide-to-capitalize-bl/

@mystery-ak

So,it is now the official position of the Seattle Times that "All black people are alike and have the same history and culture?

Hmmm.

Interesting.

What title has been given to people who think "all blacks are alike"? I have it right on the tip of my tongue,but can't quite come up with it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
What difference does it make. The only people reading this crap are far-Left loony White people. And I am completely sure that the people who came up with this 'feel good' we're sooo enlightened! nonsense were all snow White Liberals who wanted to make themselves feel 'special'. I honestly believe that Black people see stupid White people doing things like this supposedly for them, and just laugh and laugh. Stupid White people, tryin' to be down wit da peeps!

This definitely goes in my, "Who cares?" file.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
  I honestly believe that Black people see stupid White people doing things like this supposedly for them, and just laugh and laugh. 

@240B

Some of them do. I have seen and heard them talking and laughing about it. It's a bitter laughter,though. They see in it the roots of destruction and enslavement of their people.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!