Author Topic: Moscow shooting: Several dead in attack near Russian security service HQ  (Read 505 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Moscow shooting: Several dead in attack near Russian security service HQ
Oliver Carroll @olliecarroll

Several people have reportedly been killed in a shooting outside the headquarters of Russia’s security agency in central Moscow.

According to unverified reports, a group of three gunmen fired automatic rounds as they approached security officers in the lobby of the building. Those reports suggest two of the gunmen were killed, but one barricaded himself inside, and continued to exchange fire with officers.

Special forces have been deployed to the scene, says Reuters. Five ambulances were seen leaving the scene of the shooting.

See more at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/moscow-shooting-dead-russia-security-service-fsb-attack-latest-a9253761.html

The Moscow Times

Reuters via BBC

An unidentified gunman opened fire with a Kalashnikov rifle in the lobby of the Federal Security Services (FSB) building before fleeing the scene, the RBC news website cited an police source as saying.

More coverage:   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50858949  and https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/12/19/gunman-opens-fire-central-moscow-killing-1-near-fsb-building-a68688
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:39:59 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: Moscow shooting: Several dead in attack near Russian security service HQ
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 04:49:02 pm »

- As of 7:13 PM local time, the third shooter had also been killed, according to the FSB press service. Officers are currently working to establish his identity. At 7:24 PM, a Meduza correspondent nonetheless reported hearing three sounds that may have been gunshots.

Videos and story at: https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/12/19/multiple-people-killed-in-shooting-outside-russia-s-federal-security-service-headquarters

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:24:09 pm »
Suicides by cop. Nobody is stupid enough to think they can attack the Russian Security Services headquarters and walk away.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »
My wild-ass guess, Chechens. Based on zero evidence, obviously.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:56:40 pm »
News Flash is pretty good for breaking news. I almost have to be real careful because reported details change. Maybe in a few hours, we will have a solid report on what happened but News Flash tends to be very helpful for updates.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 09:20:33 pm »
Doesn't Russia have gun control? 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
Doesn't Russia have gun control?
[/quote]
@Applewood

I don't know about now,but Yeltsin singed a pretty wide-open gun rights bill right after the collapse of the USSR that seemed to be based on our second amendment. I remember visiting Russian gun shops my second trip there and dropping off copies of The Shotgun News to the Russian owners. Talk about jaws dropping

I also remember reading about a bank robbery is one of the minor ciites where the teller pulled her 9mm pistol and shot the robber dead  that had a  photo of the local Chief of Police shaking her hand and smiling at her,and a qoute of him saying something like "Yes,why wouldn't she shoot him?"
EE@

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:08:28 am »
The Moscow Times:

The Moscow FSB Shooting: What We Know So Far

A gunman opened fire at Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) headquarters in central Moscow on Thursday evening, killing one officer and wounding five others, including one civilian.

An unverified video depicted officers exchanging gunfire and appearing to kill the alleged shooter behind a column. Other videos showed the FSB building being sprayed with gunfire and the moment a black-clad man resembling an officer was hit while running from a column to a parking lot.

Who’s the shooter?

— Yevgeny Manyurov, 39, a native of the Moscow region town of Podolsk, according to the Ren TV news channel.

...Manyurov spend time working as a security guard at the United Arab Emirates' Embassy, where he reportedly started to develop an “eastern” accent.

Read more at: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/12/20/the-moscow-fsb-shooting-what-we-know-so-far-a68690

So, it kind of looks like "suicide by cop" but clearly, it's an open question as to why he did this.

This also sounds a bit like what someone under some pharmaceuticals might do.

It certainly sounded like a terrorist attack at first with the facts given and it could still turn out to be a terrorist attack, albeit, lone wolf type. It would be possible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:10:41 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »

I don't know about now,but Yeltsin singed a pretty wide-open gun rights bill right after the collapse of the USSR that seemed to be based on our second amendment. I remember visiting Russian gun shops my second trip there and dropping off copies of The Shotgun News to the Russian owners. Talk about jaws dropping

I also remember reading about a bank robbery is one of the minor ciites where the teller pulled her 9mm pistol and shot the robber dead  that had a  photo of the local Chief of Police shaking her hand and smiling at her, and a quote of him saying something like "Yes, why wouldn't she shoot him?"
EE@

@sneakypete
Interesting .  Thank you.  Even though technically, communism is gone in Russia, I  still think of Putin as a communist dictator and as such, I would have expected he and the current government would have disarmed the citizenry.   Perhaps the Russians are more enlightened on this issue than a whole bunch of Americans.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:14:37 pm »
The Moscow Times:

So, it kind of looks like "suicide by cop" but clearly, it's an open question as to why he did this.

@TomSea

Sounds to me like he "went Muslim".  Russia has had lots of problems with Muslims over the decades,but we just don't hear much about it because their press was always so controlled.

Then came Chechnya,and the troubles there. Most people there were/are ethic Russians,but their ancestors converted to Islam centuries ago when Islam first rose to become the monster it is today. The Russians eventually rose up and beat them into submission,but Russia is so large and transportation and communications were so difficult back then they didn't crush Islam,just their Jihad. Over time more were born and radicalized,and the trouble started again. Islam is like roaches. Even if you just see one,there are more that are hiding in the cracks and breeding more Jihadists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 12:39:39 pm »
@sneakypete
Interesting .  Thank you.  Even though technically, communism is gone in Russia, I  still think of Putin as a communist dictator and as such, I would have expected he and the current government would have disarmed the citizenry.   Perhaps the Russians are more enlightened on this issue than a whole bunch of Americans.

@Applewood

That's really hard to judge because for so many decades and so many generations Russians grew up knowing to not talk truthfully to anyone but immediate family,and sometimes not even then. One of my Russian friends,who has now died,grew up in what was "privileged" conditions with access to all the good schools (he became an engineering professor) because his father was a KGB Major,but he told me his mother told him his father had his own house and telephone bugged,so be VERY careful what he said to his friends he had over,or on the telephone. He served a tour in East Germany as a Soviet signals officer,and was an absolute gun nut. First time I met him in person was in his apartment with his wife,who was a linguistics professor,he pulled down a huge book from his bookcase,put in on the kitchen table,and said,"Now tell me what guns you have! " No matter what I said,he would instantly answer "Oh,Yes,page 713!",or whatever page it was,and then flip to that page and ask me if I agreed with the description and the opinions printed about that gun. He loved the idea that I was a gunsmith. Yet,the only gun he owned was a BB gun that he would use to break up dog or cat fights.

Even though Yeltsin had made it possible for anyone without a criminal record to own and store guns at home by them,he was terrified of owning an actual gun. He told me "Yes,it is legal today,but will it be legal tomorrow,and what will the police of tomorrow do to people who have guns?"

I even invited him and his wife to come to the US to visit with me and take him to gun ranges where he could even rent machine guns to shoot if he wanted,plus be able to shoot my guns right out in my yard,but never could get him to come. Not even after offering to pay his airfare. I think that after growing up in a KGB house,he remained afraid of them right up until the day he died.

I think maybe his happiest moment was when I sent him blueprints so he could make his own metal detector. It had been illegal for Russians to own anything like that under the communists,and you couldn't even buy one in Russia. He had a ton of fun and found a bunch of antique coins and other stuff with the metal detector during the next summer when he and his wife would travel up the Volga in his sailboat,and visit the towns that Stalin killed by rounding up all the villagers and moving them to cities so he could keep an eye on them better. He told me that Russians would historically hide their coins (the only kind of money they had back in per-Revolutionary times, under the fireplace,so he found a LOT of antique coins on these trips with his metal detector. Also knives,tools,and other items he could sell to collectors. He had already made and sold at least 3 metal detectors to frieinds from the plans I sent him,and was talking about maybe starting a metal detector business before he died.

He died from drinking too much of the bathtub vodka he was making and selling,according to his wife. VERY bright and friendly guy,and his wife was every bit as smart as him. Maybe even smarter. She was half-Mari. The only Mari left anywhere are the very few in the Mari Republic in Russia,and a few who live in northern Finland.

In case you don't know,the Mari were "Russia's Indians". Red skin,buckskins,birch bark canoes,teepees,feathers in their hair,the whole bit. They were already living in the area of Russia now known as the Mari Republic when the first Vikings came rolling through Russia on their way south.  Pretty much disappeared as a ethnic group due to Stalin moving tens of thousands of "White Russians" into the Mari Republic in the 30's,and put them and the native Mari in the same apartment blocks. Boys and girls did what boys and girls do,and the result is there are virtually no ACTUAL "red" Russians living today. If it is still up,there is a Mari Republic web page that shows the Mari Museum and tells more about the local history.

Probably more than you wanted to know,but I am a history freak and get enthusiastic about this crap.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:42:41 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 12:45:17 pm »
@sneakypete
Interesting .  Thank you.  Even though technically, communism is gone in Russia, I  still think of Putin as a communist dictator and as such, I would have expected he and the current government would have disarmed the citizenry.   

@Applewood

BTW,it might interest you to know that EVERY Russian I met and became friendly with on both of my trips to Russia warned me "Never trust a Russian!" Even though the irony seemed to be lost on them,they were all as serious as a heart attack.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 01:21:59 pm »
Probably more than you wanted to know,but I am a history freak and get enthusiastic about this crap.

@sneakypete

Your posts are always interesting and illuminating to me.  Don't ever stop.   happy77

Don't know any Russians personally.  I did have a family doctor many years ago who traveled to the former Soviet Union back during the Cold War  when few Americans could travel there,  He talked a lot about shortages of even basic necessities and, at that time, the unusual number of new building collapses.  Back then it seemed like every new building -- usually apartment high rises -- would collapse shortly after tenants moved in.  Communism wasn't all it was cracked up to be. 

I also know he talked about having to keep a low profile while he was there because of the KGB and how it was difficult, if not impossible, to talk to too many of the ordinary citizens because his every word and action was monitored, as were those of every citizen.  Supposedly, the KGB is gone too, but I can understand how paranoid those who lived under the old regime still are.  And maybe for good reason.  Your friend was right.  Those freedoms they may have now -- including ownership of  firearms -- can be taken away in a blink of an eye. 

We are lucky to have a Constitution that has been strong in protecting our rights and freedoms for hundreds of years, but we shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security.  There are many in this country who want to tear up the Constitution -- even our current president has spoken of curbing freedom of speech and press -- so we must always be in our guard.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 03:07:32 pm »
@sneakypete

Your posts are always interesting and illuminating to me.  Don't ever stop.   happy77

Thanks!

Don't know any Russians personally.  I did have a family doctor many years ago who traveled to the former Soviet Union back during the Cold War  when few Americans could travel there,  He talked a lot about shortages of even basic necessities and, at that time, the unusual number of new building collapses.  Back then it seemed like every new building -- usually apartment high rises -- would collapse shortly after tenants moved in.  Communism wasn't all it was cracked up to be. 

"The Party" was infallible,and even if the first cousin of a Party Member was a complete idiot,what he said went,or YOU went off to a labor camp. Nobody ever claimed there was a lack of discipline in any communist country.

I also know he talked about having to keep a low profile while he was there because of the KGB and how it was difficult, if not impossible, to talk to too many of the ordinary citizens because his every word and action was monitored, as were those of every citizen.  Supposedly, the KGB is gone too, but I can understand how paranoid those who lived under the old regime still are.

My first trip to Russia was right after the collapse of Communism,and they still had "floor ladies" sitting at desks to log in the entrances and exits of everyone staying on that floor. Even guests,who had to show their passports to be allowed to enter a room they had rented. Not to mention visitors who hadn't rented rooms. And they would stare at you for a few minutes without saying anything to try to make you nervous. I seemed to make them nervous because I'd laugh at them.

In the old days it was no laughing matter,because the police would come by the factory or shop where your guest worked,or the flat where they lived the next day,and pick them up and carry them to the police station for questioning. Which means they would ALL end up with a police record as a suspected spy or traitor for "socializing with foreigners". Russians were not allowed to stay in the 1st class hotels in Soviet times,so any Russian citizen that visited a foreign guest there became an instant "person of suspicion of anti-Soviet activity".

In the lower rated hotels were Russians visiting from the countryside were allowed to stay while on vacation,it was the same deal if they had any foreign visitors coming to their room. Such a thing could get you a sentence in a labor camp,just for knowing and visiting with a foreigner.

And the Soviet courts didn't screw around,either. The Soviet Court in Moscow was in the top of the Lubyanka Prison. Prisoners found guilty,and they were ALL found guilty,or a capital crime were lead to an elevator that took them down the basement,where they were forced to kneel and shot in the head right after the verdict.

On my second visit to Russia,all the "floor ladies" and their desks were gone.

Your friend was right.  Those freedoms they may have now -- including ownership of  firearms -- can be taken away in a blink of an eye. 

Yes,but not without a vote because it is an actual amendment to their Constitution,just like our Second Amendment.

BTW,the KGB has gone nowhere. They just changed their name. Putin was Colonel in the KGB,and "Russian Orthodox Priest" was an actual KBG career field. Who better to hear the confessions of troubled Russians,right?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:10:29 pm by sneakypete »