Author Topic: Bad Border Reporting Requirement Stripped Out of NDAA 2020  (Read 412 times)

rangerrebew

Bad Border Reporting Requirement Stripped Out of NDAA 2020
« on: December 20, 2019, 02:10:11 pm »
Bad Border Reporting Requirement Stripped Out of NDAA 2020

By Andrew R. Arthur on December 19, 2019

In my last post, I wrote about a very, very bad provision in S. 1790, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 (NDAA 2020), which codifies in statute a questionable legal theory known as "parole in place". I failed to mention one good omission from that bill, for which I will take (possibly undeserved) credit.

On October 25, 2019, I wrote a post captioned "House Democrats Want to Know Where Soldiers on the Border Work and Sleep: A road map for Antifa and the drug cartels", which discussed section 1044 in H.R. 2500, the House version of NDAA 2020. All appropriations bills start in the House, so H.R. 2500 was the first crack at funding the military, and not surprisingly, it was a wish-list for the Democrats who control that chamber.

Even at that, section 1044 was something else, and not in a good way. I focused on two specific provisions in that section that would have amended paragraph 1059(f)(1) of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (NDAA 2016), and in particular add subparagraphs (H) and (I) thereto:

https://cis.org/Arthur/Bad-Border-Reporting-Requirement-Stripped-Out-NDAA-2020