Author Topic: Erdogan threatens to recognise killings of Native Americans as genocide in response to Armenia resol  (Read 459 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Erdogan threatens to recognise killings of Native Americans as genocide in response to Armenia resolution
'It is a shameful moment in US history,' says Turkish president

Vincent Wood

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has threatened to recognise the killing of Native Americans at the hand of European settlers in a tit-for-tat attack on Washington’s decision to rebuke Ankara for the Armenian genocide.

The US Senate voted in favour of recognising the genocide last week, a move initially stalled by Republicans at the urging of Donald Trump - who had been due to meet with the Turkish leader at the time.

However, with the bill now passed, Mr Erdogan has threatened to respond by recognising US killings of Native Americans – saying the deaths of millions of indigenous people at the hands of European settlers should also be viewed as a genocide.

Read more at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/erdogan-trump-turkey-us-armenian-genocide-native-americans-a9249101.html

Yes, it occurred to me, this could go tit-for-tat, for every action, there is a reaction. We could now, be seen years from now, as instigating something, like we see other events in history.  Well, we've got to do what's right per the Armenian genocide. Heck, Canada even came out with a report saying they committed genocide.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Who cares what threats Erdogan makes.
Really... do YOU...?

Offline dfwgator

So?  Whatever.

Offline TomSea

His party is now declining in popularity, HDP or whatever it is called. It can't come fast enough.

Offline TomSea

Really... do YOU...?

It's news @Fishrrman  At least, I want to keep up with the news. I mean, why do we want to know if some illegal alien commits a crime somewhere in the USA? Anyway, I hope Turkey can somehow avert this path they are on..

Who you should be talking to might be our president, he's pretty palsy with these people. Turkey could have been a secular success story... you know, a lot of people  use to go vacation there, even in this forum. Quite a few Russians too. This whole thing is all messed up right now.

Offline skeeter

So?  Whatever.

So? indeed. That’s what we teach our kids in public schools now.

Offline TomSea

Really... do YOU...?

Maybe TRUMP does.
Trump refuses to back recognition of Armenian genocide after Erdogan threat

Donald Trump's administration has rejected a US Senate resolution recognising the Armenian genocide, just a day after Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatened to recognise the killing of Native Americans in retaliation.

He did not describe the events as genocide. While former president Barack Obama described the events as a genocide as a candidate in 2008, his administration later assured the Turkish government that it did not support a resolution recognising the killings as a genocide.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-armenian-genocide-erdogan-turkey-native-americans-a9250281.html

I don't know if I buy that the Erdogan threat swayed Trump but I'd consider it possible.

The article says this was the view of the Trump administration this spring as well.

Offline TomSea

It would be an interesting discussion in the "history" forum about the Native Americans; sure, it's been brought up here as well but to really examine it. I'd think it would be what I've read before, a lot of them sadly died from disease. That's another topic.

On its fourth try and after a social media boost from Kim Kardashian West, Senate backs measure affirming century-old Armenian genocide
By MATTHEW DALY     Associated Press |   Dec 12, 2019 |

Huge crowds of Armenian Americans march during an annual commemoration of the deaths of 1.5 million Armenians under the Ottoman Empire in Los Angeles Wednesday, April 24, 2019. (Damian Dovarganes/AP)

On its fourth try, the Senate has approved a resolution that recognizes the mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks a century ago as genocide.

The resolution had been blocked three times at the request of the White House, but won unanimous approval Thursday.

Co-sponsored by Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, the nonbinding resolution affirms that the genocide occurred and that Turkey is responsible.

Read more at: https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-turks-armenian-genocide-20191212-qt76xj6rrve4pgkiaitimyuuge-story.html

So, Kim Kardashian did get into the act on this. The rest of the article is worth reading, having been blocked about 3 times previously.

And as shown in one of the other posts, I don't care for Representative Schiff but on this issue, he's represented his constituency, has sought to push through legislation and I'd probably agree with him here.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:33:35 pm by TomSea »