Author Topic: Lies can kill people and our presence in Afghanistan is an example - Jay Ambrose  (Read 134 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
No necessary agreement with the author.  I am still studying it, I like what I see.
Opinion
Lies can kill people and our presence in Afghanistan is an example
Published 9:00 pm EST, Sunday, December 15, 2019

It’s no small thing when grotesque mistakes and lies about them cost 2,300 lives and a trillion dollars, but that’s what we got from U.S. officials who have kept us at war in Afghanistan for 18 years. A chief culprit is the Pentagon, of course, but also presidents, Congress and the State Department. And the overall picture is powerfully sustained by a Washington Post expose that comes at us at a time when so much else in our republic seems a mess.

After all, we right now have House Democrats atrociously and deceptively abusing their power in an impeachment effort doing more to toss principles out the window than a legitimately elected if fault-filled president who will be saved by the Senate. We likewise have a Justice Department explicitly shown in an official report to have engaged in incompetent, strikingly dishonest practices to prove a nonexistent Russian collusion.

And on top of all of these scandals we once-proud Americans are learning how the military went askew in Afghanistan after an initial attack following the 9/11 tragedy at the hands of al-Qaida. We needed to strike back if we were going to prevent future terrorism on our shores, and we asked the Taliban, then pretty much in charge of Afghanistan, to let us punish the al-Qaida conspirators in the neighborhood. The Taliban said no, and we invaded, pushed the Taliban aside and shredded al-Qaida as its terror-struck terrorists fled into Pakistan. We should have then said goodbye with a promise to visit again if necessary.

Read more at: https://www.newstimes.com/opinion/article/Lies-can-kill-people-and-our-presence-in-14906801.php