Author Topic: Takeaways from ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations Report. Not a pretty picture  (Read 346 times)

rangerrebew

Takeaways from ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations Report
Not a pretty picture

By Andrew R. Arthur on December 14, 2019

In my last post, I explained how facts included in the recent "U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement [ICE] Fiscal Year 2019 Enforcement and Removal Operations [ERO] Report" answered questions that were raised by a November 29 TRAC study of ICE's detention of non-criminal aliens. There is a lot more in that ICE report, most of which does not paint a pretty picture for those interested in the rule of law, or for that matter the public as a whole. (My colleague Jessica Vaughan has also blogged on the report.)

The first key takeaway in that report is the significant impact that the massive influx of aliens entering irregularly at the Southwest border in FY 2019 had on ICE in its interior enforcement effort last fiscal year, which was a key focus of my last post. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) apprehended or found inadmissible 1,148,024 individuals in FY 2019, the vast majority (977,509) at the border between the United States and Mexico. The report explains how those encounters taxed ERO's limited detention space and its resources generally, even though most of those individuals were only briefly detained.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Takeaways-ICE-Enforcement-and-Removal-Operations-Report