Author Topic: Chris Wallace: Trump’s “engaged in the most direct assault on freedom of the press in our history”  (Read 863 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chris Wallace: Trump’s “engaged in the most direct assault on freedom of the press in our history”

Ed Morrissey Posted at 10:01 am on December 12, 2019

This isn’t new from the media, and not even new from Fox’s Chris Wallace, but historically ignorant nonetheless. Without even an Alien and Sedition Act to his name, Wallace accused Donald Trump of being the worst threat ever to press freedom in the nation’s history. The speech at the Washington DC Newseum came as part of a celebration of the First Amendment, which clearly didn’t include any real perspective on it:

“I believe that President Trump is engaged in the most direct sustained assault on freedom of the press in our history,” Wallace said to applause at the Newseum, a media museum in Washington, on Wednesday night.

“He has done everything he can to undercut the media, to try and delegitimise us, and I think his purpose is clear: to raise doubts when we report critically about him and his administration that we can be trusted. Back in 2017, he tweeted something that said far more about him than it did about us: ‘The fake news media is not my enemy. It is the enemy of the American people.’”

Wallace recalled that retired admiral Bill McRaven, a navy Seal for 37 years, had described Trump’s sentiment as maybe “the greatest threat to democracy in my lifetime” because, unlike even the Soviet Union or Islamic terrorism, it undermines the US constitution.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2019/12/12/chris-wallace-trumps-worst-threat-press-freedom-history/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
What has the President done to "assault the freedom of the press"?    Calling fake news for what it is?  Decrying the decline of objective journalism?   
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 04:26:55 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline PeteS in CA

What has the President done to "assault the freedom of the press"?    Calling fake news for what it is?  Decrying the decline of objective journalism?   

You're ignoring all those journalists Trump sent to re-education camps? All those newspapers Trump shut down? All those TV networks Trump took off the air? :sarc:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Chris Wallace is full of $%^&!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline conservativevoter

That be true.  But also whacked over not getting a promotion to the former Shep Smith job.   :cool:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That be true.  But also whacked over not getting a promotion to the former Shep Smith job.   :cool:

:yowsa:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

As is usually the case with virtually anything asserted by leftist, the exact opposite is true.

No one has done more to degenerate press freedom than today's mainstream news media, next to Trump's tongue in cheek insults its a match to the media's lockstep partisanship flamethrower.

Offline Slide Rule

Chris Wallace is full of $%^&!

Someone identifying the heart of the matter.

Cheers!

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline goatprairie

Trump is too thin-skinned, but he is essentially right...our current media is deeply prejudiced against anyone who isn't a liberal/progressive.
It's not that they lie so much, it's that they avoid printing/airing news they don't like.

Offline The_Reader_David

Chris Wallace: Trump’s “engaged in the most direct assault on freedom of the press in our history”

More historical illiteracy.  Send Mr. Wallace a book about Woodrow Wilson's Committee on Public Information, the outfit Goebbels said was the pattern for his efforts on behalf of Naziism.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Poor Chris.  Never filled his father's shoes.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

More historical illiteracy.  Send Mr. Wallace a book about Woodrow Wilson's Committee on Public Information, the outfit Goebbels said was the pattern for his efforts on behalf of Naziism.

Mr Wallace apparently is unaware that John Adams and Abraham Lincoln tossed journalists’ asses in jail for their work.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Trump is too thin-skinned, but he is essentially right...our current media is deeply prejudiced against anyone who isn't a liberal/progressive.
It's not that they lie so much, it's that they avoid printing/airing news they don't like.
@goatprairie

Quite the competition. A left that avoids printing or airing news it doesn't like, versus a president and his sycophancy on the right (this is difficult for the sycophancy and the left alike to believe, but the entire right isn't entirely in the tank for President Tweety) who call "fake news" not because it's fake but because it's news they don't like.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Mr Wallace apparently is unaware that John Adams and Abraham Lincoln tossed journalists’ asses in jail for their work.
@skeeter
Let's not forget the Johnson and Nixon enemies lists.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter
Let's not forget the Johnson and Nixon enemies lists.
Or FDRs heavy handed treatment of radio broadcasters through the FCC and the DNC.

But of course to leftists like Wallace history began when they hit puberty.

Offline PeteS in CA

Not with a foot, anyway.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Axeslinger

I hate to burst ol’ Chris’ bubble....but one thing Trump was absolutely, 100% correct about:  the media IS the enemy of the people.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Fair and Balanced.

Looks like OAN will soon become the preferred State Media
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:51:34 am by Once-Ler »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well, not since he was a baby, I understand they were never able to get the smell out.

Offline LadyLiberty

Sharyl Attkisson would have a more valid complaint regarding a President's assault on the press than Chris Wallace's complaint re Trump's  mere criticism of a difference of opinion with the press.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:31:41 am by LadyLiberty »

Offline dfwgator

Why do you think he does it out of being "thin-skinned"?  I say, more likely it's a calculated strategy, since he knows that most right-thinking Americans are very skeptical about our Media.  I believe, because of Trump, millions of Americans have wised up, as to the games our media plays with the truth.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Fair and Balanced.

Looks like OAN will soon become the preferred State Media
FOX? Hasn't been "fair and balanced" fro years. They've been sliding Leftward to try to bring the average in, and keep up with the Communist shift of the Dems, but the Conservatives are being ignored while moderates are labelled "conservative".

It's all a sham to sell soap.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

Why do you think he does it out of being "thin-skinned"?  I say, more likely it's a calculated strategy, since he knows that most right-thinking Americans are very skeptical about our Media.  I believe, because of Trump, millions of Americans have wised up, as to the games our media plays with the truth.

People have underestimated Trump his whole life. His enemies, democrats and media (but I repeat myself), usually come to regret it.

You were right about more Americans waking up now to the media's agenda-driven lies. The democrat party media’s actions have all but insured Trump’s re-election.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:16:20 pm by aligncare »

Offline libertybele

Well, then Mr. Wallace, "Kuddos" to President Donald J. Trump!   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

People have underestimated Trump his whole life. His enemies, democrats and media (but I repeat myself), usually come to regret it.

You were right about more Americans waking up now to the media's agenda-driven lies. The democrat party media’s actions have all but insured Trump’s re-election.

Who was the last R President the MSM did not represent as bumbling, clue-free, and stupid? Maybe Nixon? Maybe Calvin Coolidge? Maybe TR?