Author Topic: Catholic Bishops: Homosexuality is ‘Normal’ and ‘Unchangeable’  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Absalom

TomSea wrote:
"Again, no religious discussion."

How is it possible to have a discussion regarding homosexuality WITHOUT the mention or discussion of religious attitudes and teachings?

What is a rational, conservative-leaning discussion forum FOR, if such topics can't be raised?

thackney wrote a little later:
"Pretty silly to post a article about Catholic Bishops deciding what is normal and what is a serious sin, then pretend to not have a religious aspect in the discussion."

Shore 'nuff.

If "religion isn't allowed", might as well ban topics regarding homosexuality, or just plain morality, too.

Just lock them and delete them.

Might as well ban ALL topics or article regarding islam, as well.
Isn't that supposed to be "a religion", too...?
-----------------
Well articulated!!!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The Masks of God series by Joseph Campbell.

If you feel the need to read.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Calls for “reform” range from the blessing of homosexual unions to the priestly ordination of women, and, in at least one local group’s case, for the approval of abortion when “a woman or couple decided to go through with it.”

http://m.ncregister.com/62876/d

No doctrine was set, they don't have any authority. These issues were discussed.

The above article may indeed, be more informative.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:14:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

@Absalom. @Fishrrman

Eccuse me. These statements were also made by the over-moderators. We have cleared up this matter too. If you are  telling someone, don't exclusively tell me.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It may be normal if you are a Catholic Bishop or a Rent Boy walking the streets in San Francisco,but it sure ain't normal for the rest of us.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Masks of God series by Joseph Campbell.

If you feel the need to read.

@bigheadfred

Thanks for the suggestion,but I suspect reading it won't make me happy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
No doctrine was set, they don't have any authority. These issues were discussed.

The above article may indeed, be more informative.

@TomSea

I honestly do not see where ordaining women priests is related in any respect,unless they are lesbians. I know lots of women,and suspect very few of them of being lesbians.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:52:14 pm by sneakypete »

Offline TomSea

I'll add on, if you have someone prosylityzing their faith or an atheist mocking religion or a Satanist saying all kinds of stuff, I fail to see the good in that

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I think one must consider the economics of what is happening with the Roman Catholic church.  I was raised Catholic, no longer practice, and the fact is, they are losing parishioners, losing revenue.  So, basic economics, they are opening up their position to be more accepting of groups they scorned through the centuries.

I am a heterosexual, but my cousin, who was the closest thing to a brother, married and divorced twice ended up in a gay relationship.  My thoughts of him never changed.  I loved him like a brother.

My son, I believe he is also gay.  My ex wife was perhaps the most homophobic person I ever knew.  I am certain that my son being gay was a major contributing factor to the death of my first wife at age 55.  Contrary to the opinion expressed by some here, I do not believe ALL people are predisposed to being gay that practice a gay lifestyle.  I think a portion are genetically/hormonally disposed to being gay, but I also believe for a majority, it is a choice.  And while I believe all should be treated equally, I do believe homosexuality is aberrant behavior.

And for those that believe that practicing homosexuality is not harmful, I tell you definitively, my ex is dead because of my son's choice to be gay.  He represents about 7 of the ten nails in her coffin.

So, back to the church, which is run by men, yesterday, homosexuality was a sin, today it is not.  I believe what they say today has little impact on people.  People today are largely doing what they want.  And finally, I do not believe these people will be listened to much at all as long as they are tolerant of the criminal behavior of their ranks sexually assaulting children.  The hierarchy just refuses to deal with the issue appropriately.

Finally, for the moderators, when the Pope criticizes the government here in the USA, the Roman Catholic church is opened up for comment because they are the ones being political.  This is a political blog site, and the church has been very political for the last 50 years, and progressively getting worse in my view.

And as some have stated, betrayal is betrayal, whether one is straight or gay.  It boils down to one's character.  Some of us have it, and some are completely devoid of any character.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

I am a heterosexual, but my cousin, who was the closest thing to a brother, married and divorced twice ended up in a gay relationship.  My thoughts of him never changed.  I loved him like a brother.

My son, I believe he is also gay.  My ex wife was perhaps the most homophobic person I ever knew.  I am certain that my son being gay was a major contributing factor to the death of my first wife at age 55.

@jafo2010

I believe the Christian Bible,and probably other religious teachings,say to "hate the sin and love the sinner". IMHO,this is VERY good advise to follow. Especially when the "sinner" is a family member.

Contrary to the opinion expressed by some here, I do not believe ALL people are predisposed to being gay that practice a gay lifestyle.  I think a portion are genetically/hormonally disposed to being gay, but I also believe for a majority, it is a choice.  And while I believe all should be treated equally, I do believe homosexuality is aberrant behavior.

I have no idea what the actual percentages are,and can't even guess,but I strongly suspect there are many times the number of bi-sexuals than there are homosexuals.

Some people have a choice,and have a preference. For others,there is no choice. They have to play the hand they were dealt at birth. I am 100 percent sexually attracted to women,and have been since before I even had any idea there was such a thing as sex. I distinctly remember trying to talk my mother and the neighbor into letting me tap naps with the little girl next door who was my age when I was about 5. I had no idea why I wanted to do that,but I just knew that I did. For some odd reason I didn't understand,the girls mother snatched her up and never brought her over again.

I still wanted to take naps with her when I was 15,but I had plans by then. In fact,I'd kinda like to know where she is living today. Always had a thing for redheads,and I still haven't figured that one out.

Offline roamer_1

I believe the Christian Bible,and probably other religious teachings,say to "hate the sin and love the sinner". IMHO,this is VERY good advise to follow. Especially when the "sinner" is a family member.

@sneakypete
I have real experience in this. My in-laws had a grandchild who came out gay. He is also a piece of crap. Having got the boot by his relatives down in AZ and TX, as much or more for his character than his sexual proclivities, he wound up up here.

The problem, within the family, is the children.
The in-laws thought to accept him as he was, thinking somehow acceptance would help to get him to fly right... I was under no such illusions, but that acceptance, which I was asked to accommodate, Included the boy mackin on his boyfriend and feeling each other up at family gatherings. 

Oh HELL no. Not in front of my kids. Through several iterations, I finally laid the law down that my kids would not be present if the two of them were, and if only he was there, my children would be under direct observation at all times.

In my mind I was long-suffering, offering compromise, but any,  and i do mean any, throttling of their public behavior made me a bigot (of course), and that they should be able to act like young lovers any time they choose.  *****rollingeyes*****

NOPE.

So with that final position, and the resolution that I am a bigot, the in-laws pretty well broke ties rather than accomodate my need to protect my kids. Suits me fine.

But therein is the height of it. Traditional family seeks to provide a safe and secure environment that is healthy for family, and good for the kids to be raised in. And the homo lifestyle is directly opposed to that environment.

So no, 'hate the sin love the sinner' does not work. Especially at home and church, and other community places. That's fine in outreach, but the home front must be protected, just as it is against all aberration.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:33:38 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Sneakypete...you and I are again for the most part on the same page.  Funny, my parents best friends were a couple that once lived across the street from us, they had a daughter same age as me, and we grew up being good friends.  Years later, she told me she always had a crush on me.  I was too innocent to notice until we were about 12 years old.  We were both in our birthdays suits when our parents pulled into the driveway after going out to dinner.  While I was attracted to her, I was still not there yet about the mechanics of it all.  Had they come home 20 minutes later, I am certain we would have had a different ending.

She died at age 55 too like my first wife.  I didn't learn about it until nearly a year later.  She still had the hots for me when we were in our 40s.  My advice is simple...if you want to see your red head, go find her.  $39 can pretty much help you find anyone you want.  Life is short, and then it is over, even if you live to be 100 years of age, it goes by in the blink of an eye.

Offline kidd

They also added that adultery is no longer a “serious sin.”
Ignoring the biblical aspect...Adultery is the most awful non-violent thing that one person can do to others.

Offline TomSea

"They also added that adultery is no longer a “serious sin.”"
I'm not sure if that assertion is true. One would have to read it closely, sex within a remarriage after divorce is adultery?

I don't think that word appears in the original Breitbart article this second article is sourced from. So, we may just have the second-hand analysis from someone we don't know from a website we may not know either. Great.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:23:03 pm by TomSea »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@bigheadfred

Thanks for the suggestion,but I suspect reading it won't make me happy.

Actually, Pete, this guy ties up a whole bunch of things into one package. How different cultures, or "civilizations" assimilated, or outright stole the concepts from other people to put them into the history books.

@Absalom  has an excellent reading of history. His reference to the writings of the Egyptian scribe Amenemope pretty much is the book of Proverbs in the Bible. Who he got his ideas from go back further.

I completely respect and UNDERSTAND your views on religion, etc. Mine are a bit different. In my POV we are both right.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
  My advice is simple...if you want to see your red head, go find her.  $39 can pretty much help you find anyone you want.  Life is short, and then it is over, even if you live to be 100 years of age, it goes by in the blink of an eye.

@jafo2010

Well,in my case she did NOT have the hots for me,and last I heard of her a couple of decades ago,she had a pack of kids by different husbands,and was living with a couple of guys in a biker club.

Gonna have to pass on that one.