Author Topic: Moscow's Controversial, Unforgettable 'Luzhkov-Style' Architecture  (Read 500 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The former mayor of Moscow who just passed at 83 built that city up. 2 or 3 articles. He is being remembered, he was mayor for nearly 20 years, 1992-2010. I think some stories even say he was a "Capitalist". Excerpts:

Moscow's Controversial, Unforgettable 'Luzhkov-Style' Architecture

Yury Luzhkov, who died Tuesday at the age of 83, served as the mayor of Russia's capital for 18 years from 1992-2010. During that time, the city’s appearance underwent the dramatic transformation from stern Soviet capital to glitzy, modern mega-metropolis.

Today, it is impossible to walk through Moscow without stumbling upon the so-called “Luzhkov-style” buildings that rose up from the ground during his long tenure. Some of these buildings amaze viewers with their beauty and scale, while others are considered the most ugly buildings in the capital. The former mayor himself called them a reflection of "Russian eclecticism."

The Cathedral of Christ the Savior is one of the most grandiose relics from Luzhkov's time as mayor. The original cathedral was demolished in 1931 in order to construct the Palace of the Soviets. The project was unsuccessful and the Moskva Pool, the world’s largest swimming pool was built in its place. Efforts to rebuild the cathedral took place throughout the 90s, and construction was finished in 2000.

During Luzhkov's tenure, Moscow saw the construction of high-rise, high-budget apartment buildings. Many of these projects had similarities with Stalinist architecture, including Triumph Palace pictured here.

See more at: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/12/11/moscows-controversial-unforgettable-luzhkov-style-architecture-a68554

Yury Luzhkov, Ex-Mayor Who Dominated Moscow For Nearly Two Decades, Is Dead At 83

As mayor for 18 years, Yury Luzhkov oversaw Moscow's transformation from a drab Soviet city into a glittering, often garish, modern Russian capital.

Yury Luzhkov, the pugnacious former mayor of Moscow who oversaw the transformation of the Russian capital over nearly two decades but whose national political ambitions went unrealized, has died. He was 83.

The Russian Embassy in Berlin said that Luzhkov died December 10 at a Munich hospital where, according to Russian state media, he was undergoing heart surgery. Luzhkov’s successor as mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, said Luzhkov had died but gave no details.

A former Soviet official with a passion for development, Luzhkov steered the city’s enormous bureaucracy for 18 years, earning a reputation as one of the country's most influential political players. But he had a sudden fall from grace in 2010 when he was dismissed by the Kremlin, which said it had lost trust in him.

More at: https://www.rferl.org/a/yury-luzhkov-ex-mayor-who-dominated-moscow-for-nearly-two-decades-is-dead-at-83/30317745.html

In Photographs: Yury Luzhkov, The Man Who Rebuilt Moscow

RFE/RL

6/19) Luzhkov (center) shows Britain's Queen Elizabeth II a model of the new British Embassy in Russia during her official visit to Russia in 1994.

(8/19) Luzhkov (right) hosts a reception for American pop singer Michael Jackson at his Moscow office. Jackson was in Moscow as part of his HIStory World Tour on September 16, 1996.

(15/19) Luzhkov and then-U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at a ceremony unveiling a monument to American poet Walt Whitman in Moscow on October 14, 2009.

See more at (one may have to scroll down for the "photo gallery" itself inside the article): https://www.rferl.org/a/yury-luzhkov-ex-mayor-who-dominated-moscow-for-nearly-two-decades-is-dead-at-83/30317745.html

So, you can see, a fascinating individual.

‘He made mistakes and worked to fix them’ Yury Luzhkov, Moscow’s mayor in the 90s and aughts, has died. Here’s how public figures from Putin to Khodorkovsky remember him.

Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation

Yury Mikhailovich Luzhkov was a personality of truly extraordinary scale. He was a fiery, daring politician, an energetic and talented organizer, and an open, kindhearted person. He was also a true city leader in the capital who was respected and trusted among Moscow’s residents. In a complex period of time, at the break between two historical epochs, he did much for Moscow’s development, enabling it to become a leader in Russia’s rebirth.

Sergey Sobyanin, current mayor of Moscow

Yury Mikhailovich Luzhkov has passed on from this life. I am sincerely sorry that this energetic, joyous individual is no more. He led Moscow in the difficult post-Soviet period and did much for the city and its residents. My deepest sympathies to his relatives and loved ones.

Read more at: https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/12/11/he-made-mistakes-and-worked-to-fix-them

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 04:51:39 am by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Moscow's Controversial, Unforgettable 'Luzhkov-Style' Architecture
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:59:15 pm »
I mostly found the mix of architecture in Moscow to be fascinating. I would see "pre-revolution" buildings with Pagoda's on the roof right next to modern hotels. My own preference is for the historical buildings,but seeing the old mixed with the new gives perspective.

One thing struck me as really odd,though. One of the downtown Moscow McDonalds sits across the street from a nuclear reactor. Seriously. I can't even begin to guess the casualty numbers if it were to ever meltdown,or guess the number of local resident living close that were born with birth defects and died early.

One one of my trips there I visited a city in Soviet "Indian land" that was there primarily to build Soviet nuclear rockets. It was originally a small town in a remote region populated almost entirely by "Russian Indians". Yes,"Indians". As far as anyone knows they were the original people inhabiting what is now called "The Mari Republic",and were pretty much the only people there until Stalin started forcing Slavs and everyone else from all over the USSR to move into cities so he could both control them,and to industrialize the USSR in the 20's and 30's,and really kicking into high gear during WW-2. You can go to the museum there and see photos taken in the 20's that show dark people with braided hair wearing buckskins,moccasins,feathers in their hair,and living in teepees and traveling the rivers in birch-bark canoes.

Then Stalin forced them and the Slavs into sharing buildings in the same Soviet apartment complexes,and boys and girls did what boys and girls tend to do,and the Mari have now virtually ceased to exist as a unique people. In fact,it is normal to see more local citizens that look like Mongols than it is to see Mari if you go there and walk around.

Anyhow,I guess things went ok for the people there until the mid-1950's. People who had never had electricity or running water,were now living in what seemed to be palaces now,with electricity,tv's, running water,hot water,central heating,refrigerators,modern ovens,flush toilets,and showers. They also had steady jobs in local factories close to where they lived,and buses to ride to work. They no doubt thought they were taking dumps in tall cotton.

Then the 50's hit,the Soviets learned how to build nukes thanks to American and British commies that were traitors,and the Mari Republic was far enough away from Moscow or any other "important city" the Soviet authorities thought it would be a good place to manufacture Soviet nuclear warheads and missiles.

I have never been anywhere in my life where there were more deformed and crippled children and adults. What made it worse was they were all living in these tall Soviet-era apartment buildings,and most didn't  have elevators that worked,or were safe enough the residents were willing to take a chance on riding in them. This is really hard on the elderly people who ended up being the ones taking care of the children with birth defects that couldn't walk.

The US got together with the USSR in a missile treaty some time in the 70's and as a part of the agreement all the nukes were removed from the Mari Republic,and the factories were supposedly cleaned up to the point there is no longer any radiation danger,but you can't unring a bell. The children I saw there then are now adults in their 40's and older,and no doubt they are still living in those tall apartment buildings. I am guessing any children they may have created are also having health,mobility,and mental issues. I have no idea if the Russian government of today that is in MUCH better financial condition than when communism collapsed have done any infrastructure repairs,or what industries may have replaced the rocket industry. Tourism and hunting seemed to be a big attraction when I was there.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:03:16 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!