Author Topic: Lesson Within A Lesson  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: Lesson Within A Lesson
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 02:36:31 pm »
It's actually even a bit simpler - if hat3 is red then P2 would know that his is black (otherwise P1 would have known that his is black).
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 03:03:25 pm »
It's actually even a bit simpler - if hat3 is red then P2 would know that his is black (otherwise P1 would have known that his is black).

Seems to me if he saw the other two wearing red hats he was wearing a black hat for sure.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 05:28:33 pm »
160 years later that theory is nothing more than it ever was. A supposition.
All of the evidence shows the opposite. Meaning they have never found the missing link.
The evidence shows that all cultures have regarded themselves to be some thing other than evolved. IN any culture, no matter how far they are removed from "US". And I say you can put that in any time frame for the last 200,000 years.
-------------------------
Fred, on the mark per usual.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 06:09:44 pm »
-------------------------
Fred, on the mark per usual.

Thank you for the kind remark.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 07:03:35 pm »
I see it this way.This is a decision based upon visual clues.  Prisoner 3 is blind. He has no visual clues as to what any other prisoners are doing. He doesn't know how p1 makes his decision. He doesn't know how p2 makes his decision. He is the arbiter of his destiny.

@DeerSlayer calls upon English professors and then adds

They are coming from St Ives as they met the other traveler, en Francais on dit "face en face".

English professors and the "French" to make your point?

Yeah. No.

The first point I made was to give you credit DeadHeadFred.  Normally most people would be grateful for the recognition, but not you. 

There was a Chinese story teller who had points to make.  One of them was "You can't please everybody."  You're one of those who can't be pleased, DeadHeadFred.  You surely must have voted for Hillary.  Now since you have nothing to add to conversations, I'll have to add you to my Ignore List. Life is too short for pettiness such as yours, DeadHeadFred. I tried, I explained, but you just want to argue when you have no point to make.   You're not good at learning.  Or thinking.

ciao
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 07:24:43 pm »
The first point I made was to give you credit DeadHeadFred.  Normally most people would be grateful for the recognition, but not you. 

There was a Chinese story teller who had points to make.  One of them was "You can't please everybody."  You're one of those who can't be pleased, DeadHeadFred.  You surely must have voted for Hillary.  Now since you have nothing to add to conversations, I'll have to add you to my Ignore List. Life is too short for pettiness such as yours, DeadHeadFred. I tried, I explained, but you just want to argue when you have no point to make.   You're not good at learning.  Or thinking.

ciao

There was.

Thank you for your kind. It makes life worth living.  Say hello to Aunt Karma if you chance to meet her. You know, just by chance.
That may BE you are incarnated back here as a human being.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 08:31:25 pm »
@DeerSlayer   Geesh!  Touchy!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 09:44:39 pm »
@DeerSlayer   Geesh!  Touchy!

@Cyber Liberty    Geesh! Injudicious.

I acknowledged him and how did he respond? 

"I see it this way.This is a decision based upon visual clues.  Prisoner 3 is blind. He has no visual clues as to what any other prisoners are doing.  He doesn't know how p1 makes his decision. He doesn't know how p2 makes his decision. He is the arbiter of his destiny. "

Obviously Prisoner 3 DOES know how Prisoner 1 makes his decision.  Let's give all of them the benefit of common sense and analysis. Otherwise you can disregard the entire problem and say, gee, they're too stupid and will just stay in prison.

He continues: 

"@DeerSlayer calls upon English professors and then adds

They are coming from St Ives as they met the other traveler, en Francais on dit "face en face".

English professors and the "French" to make your point?

Yeah. No."

I appealed to a slightly higher frame of thinking than bigheadred was obviously capable of.  He should have recognized that, but did not.

Some people don't realize when they're in over their head.  I made my points when I wrote out the solutions.  He doesn't like the solutions, not my problem. Lots of kids are like that. They drop out, and don't do very well in  life.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 10:19:12 pm »
You appealed.

uh huh

You rely on other people to do your thinking for you.

Paint that corner.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:10:05 am by bigheadfred »

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2019, 02:12:40 am »

Which is what I said in the Solution.

Next Lesson

In memory of Denise Huber

If some decent man, or woman, had stopped to pick up a nail or screw in the street somewhere, Denise Huber would be alive today.  But nobody did, and Denise got a flat tire one night in Costa Mesa, California, on the side of the freeway.

I won't go into details, but if some decent man had stopped to help her change her flat tire, Denise Huber would be alive today. But hundreds of men didn't give a damn about a young lady in distress at night. Only a vile monster stopped.

Do you have a mother, or a wife, sister, or daughter that you want to get home safely?  We all do.  What is keeping you from picking up a nail or screw near an intersection?  That's where they almost always fall, for some reason, perhaps trucks turning corners.  It's no trouble to stoop over and pick up a hazard. You might even save a life.  You'll never know.

Next Lesson

Got kids or grandkids who ride bikes?  Tell them to ride them on the sidewalk.  When there are pedestrians, ride on the grass or stop and let them walk by.  It's really a lot more difficult for cars to run over kids on the sidewalk.  It's lawful in my city.  Police would rather see kids riding on the sidewalk than getting hit by a car.

Next Lesson

Same kids might play handball up against your garage door.  When it bounces out in the street, kids have a singular focus to "rescue" the ball.  It's up to you to change that mental fix. After watching my daughters run out into the street, I created a foolproof incentive.  "If your ball rolls out into the street and a car runs over it, I'll buy you two new ones!  Same goes for your bicycle or anything else.  Two new ones. So let the car run over it.  But no cheating!"

After that offer, they stopped in their tracks and looked for a car that might run over their ball, so they would get two new ones.

I guarantee it.

Now read your young'uns a great story by James Thurber.  I call it Brain Candy.  Read it for the first time to them.  With panache.

http://ManyMoons1.wordpress.com

Online Hoodat

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2019, 05:32:06 am »
A doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, and a journalist each make a statement.  But only the doctor tells the truth.

Bill:  David is the doctor.
David:  Frank is not the lawyer.
Frank:  Bill is the teacher.
Gus:  Today is my birthday.

Determine each person's profession.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2019, 02:30:58 pm »
A doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, and a journalist each make a statement.  But only the doctor tells the truth.

Bill:  David is the doctor.
David:  Frank is not the lawyer.
Frank:  Bill is the teacher.
Gus:  Today is my birthday.

Determine each person's profession.

David is the teacher
Frank is the lawyer
Gus is the doctor
Bill is the journalist

"I am no one to be trifled with." - The Man in Black, in The Princess Bride

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2021, 09:39:53 pm »
Hmm............is there a lesson here or are these simply words looking for attention???
The word Evolution was mentioned; defined as gradual development over time from simple to complex.
Darwin's "Origin of the Species" used the word to define the development of Mankind.
Yet while intriguing and provocative, Evolution remains an unproven theory per the rigorous Laws of Science, 160 years after its publication!!!

Right you are Absalom.  And yet millions swear that it is their gospel.
http://TheEvolutionFraud.wordpress.com

Offline DB

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2021, 11:35:58 pm »
Here are the 7 possible states (in person 1, 2 and 3 columns):

BBB
BBR
BRB
RBB
BRR *1
RRB
RBR *2

Person 1 or 2 can only tell what color hat they have on (black) if the other two hats one of them sees are red, states *1 or *2. Person 3 cannot tell what color hat they have on if neither 1 nor 2 sees two red hats.

So what am I missing? Whether he releases one or shoots one he's freeing up one space in prison in this specific case...

Offline DB

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2021, 01:04:20 am »
Another way to look at it:

He has a 1 in 5 chance of being shot/4 in 5 chance of going free if he says black...

Online Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2021, 02:46:20 am »
Crap, I already answered this 19 months ago. lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:52:04 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2021, 02:50:37 am »
I can't wait any longer!  I give bigheadfred full credit for being the only one even to attempt to answer one, or both riddles.  Over 100 visits to this new Lesson and almost everyone passes on BOTH questions for the obvious reason that nobody has a clue. 

Solution to Prisoner Riddle

First prisoner looks at the other two and does NOT see two red hats. Therefore he could have red or black and he answers "I don't know."
Second prisoner looks just at third prisoner to see if HIS is red. If so, second prisoner knows his own is black BECAUSE prisoner one did NOT see two red.  Since he does NOT see red, he says "I don't know."
Third prisoner is very smart and reasons that his must be black, so he says "I'm wearing black.  Buh bye!"

Solution to English Riddle

"Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many (of those!) are going to St Ives?"  --Zero.  None.

Lesson One

Even with all of the information, different people reach very different conclusions, for all sorts of reasons.   

Lesson Within That Lesson

The same is obviously true when discussing politics, science, or anything else.  Facts are secondary to how those facts are interpreted. The Left invariably descends into "You're stupid and anti-science" and so the Right, frustrated by being called stupid and anti-science*, resorts to name-calling as well.

Evolution or climate change discussion, anyone?

[* "Flying spaghetti monster, goddidit, bible-thumper, flat earther, Anyone who doesn't believe in evolution is either ignorant, stupid, insane or wicked. - Richard Dawkins"]

I'm missing something. If 1 is wearing black, 2 is wearing black and 3 is wearing red then both 1 and 2 see one black and one red hat and cannot know what color they are wearing. And 3 has a red hat violating your black hat answer.

Offline DB

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 02:56:40 am »
Crap, I already answered this 19 months ago. lol

Prisoner 1 and 2 can both be wearing black hats with only prisoner 3 being red. Both 1 and 2 see one red and one black and cannot know what color their hat is. In this case 3 is red, not black.

All three can be wearing black hats with none knowing that their own hat is black. This time 3 is black.

I'm missing something.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 03:01:40 am »
I'm missing something. If 1 is wearing black, 2 is wearing black and 3 is wearing red then both 1 and 2 see one black and one red hat and cannot know what color they are wearing. And 3 has a red hat violating your black hat answer.

If 1 is wearing black, he would have seen 2 red hats, and thus would have known he was wearing black.

Prisoner 1 did not see two red hats.  Thus, he tipped off to Prisoner 2 and 3 that one (or both) of their hats were black.

By this, if Prisoner 2 saw a red hat on Prisoner 3, he would know his was black.

But since he didn't, he tipped off to Prisoner 3 that Prisoner 3's hat was black.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:03:14 am by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 03:05:42 am »
If 1 is wearing black, he would have seen 2 red hats, and thus would have known he was wearing black.

Prisoner 1 did not see two red hats.  Thus, he tipped off to Prisoner 2 and 3 that one (or both) of their hats were black.

By this, if Prisoner 2 saw a red hat on Prisoner 3, he would know his was black.

But since he didn't, he tipped off to Prisoner 3 that Prisoner 3's hat was black.

All three can be black. There are 3 black and 2 red hats in the bag that was chosen from randomly.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2021, 03:19:43 am »
Two Trains
(Inspired by Little Feat)

There are parallel train tracks running from Abilene to Imogene. The tracks run in a straight line between the two cities. On a particular morning, Train A begins the journey from Abilene to Imogene on the first track. At the exact same time, Train B begins the journey from Imogene to Abilene on the second track. The two trains always travel at constant velocities.

The two trains pass each other at a small town called Xanadu. From there, Train A takes another 5 hours to reach Imogene, while Train B takes another 10 hours to reach Abilene.

The next day, Train A embarks on the return trip to Abilene at the exact same time Train B leaves for Imogene. This time, they pass each other at a small town called Yonkers, whereby Train A takes another 5 hours to reach Abilene while Train B takes another 10 hours to reach Imogene.

If the distance between Yonkers and Xanadu is 500 miles, then how fast is each train traveling?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2021, 03:23:58 am »
Second Lesson* Within A Lesson  (*Same Lesson as above)

Old English Riddle

As I was walking to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St Ives?
One. The others were going the other way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 03:32:01 am »
All three can be black. There are 3 black and 2 red hats in the bag that was chosen from randomly.

OK, let's say that all three are black.

Prisoner 1 sees two black hats.  He knows that his is either red/red/black.  Thus, he cannot be certain of his own color.

Prisoner 2 sees two black hats.  If he had seen a red hat on Prisoner 3, then he would have been certain that his hat was black.  The fact that he was not certain tips off Prisoner 3 that 3's hat cannot be red.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2021, 03:39:02 am »
OK, let's say that all three are black.

Prisoner 1 sees two black hats.  He knows that his is either red/red/black.  Thus, he cannot be certain of his own color.

Prisoner 2 sees two black hats.  If he had seen a red hat on Prisoner 3, then he would have been certain that his hat was black.  The fact that he was not certain tips off Prisoner 3 that 3's hat cannot be red.

Thank you. I now understand. I'm slow today...

Offline DB

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2021, 04:00:13 pm »
Two Trains
(Inspired by Little Feat)

There are parallel train tracks running from Abilene to Imogene. The tracks run in a straight line between the two cities. On a particular morning, Train A begins the journey from Abilene to Imogene on the first track. At the exact same time, Train B begins the journey from Imogene to Abilene on the second track. The two trains always travel at constant velocities.

The two trains pass each other at a small town called Xanadu. From there, Train A takes another 5 hours to reach Imogene, while Train B takes another 10 hours to reach Abilene.

The next day, Train A embarks on the return trip to Abilene at the exact same time Train B leaves for Imogene. This time, they pass each other at a small town called Yonkers, whereby Train A takes another 5 hours to reach Abilene while Train B takes another 10 hours to reach Imogene.

If the distance between Yonkers and Xanadu is 500 miles, then how fast is each train traveling?

Answer is messy so I'm guessing I missed something...

Train 1 is going 100 * sqr(2) + 100 mph (241.42 mph rounded).
Train 2 is going 50 * sqr(2) + 100 mph (170.71 mph rounded).

The total distance between Imogene and Abilene is 1000 * sqr(2) + 1000 + 500 miles (2914.21 miles rounded). The 500 miles is the distance between Yonkers and Xanadu.