Author Topic: 'End this': Republicans poised to call no witnesses during Trump impeachment trial in Senate  (Read 210 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'End this': Republicans poised to call no witnesses during Trump impeachment trial in Senate
by David M. Drucker
 | December 10, 2019 01:57 PM

Senate Republicans do not expect to call witnesses President Trump might want to hear from most in an impeachment trial, conceding there are not the votes to summon key figures such as Hunter Biden and the unidentified government whistleblower whose complaint sparked the process.

Senate impeachment rules require a majority vote to call witnesses, and with just two out of 53 votes to spare, there is no “appetite” among Republicans to pursue testimony from people that Democrats blocked Republicans from subpoenaing during the House investigation. Indeed, Republicans might forgo calling witnesses altogether, saying minds are made up on Trump’s guilt or innocence and that testimony at trial on the Senate floor would draw out the proceedings unnecessarily.

“Here’s what I want to avoid: This thing going on longer than it needs to,” Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told the Washington Examiner. “I want to end this.”

Top Republicans are leaning toward calling for a vote to acquit Trump immediately after House Democrats and the White House have delivered their arguments to head off partisan disagreements that might lengthen the trial.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/end-this-republicans-poised-to-call-no-witnesses-during-trump-impeachment-trial-in-senate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hunter and Joe get a pass on testifying...was a deal made?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Hunter and Joe get a pass on testifying...was a deal made?

No deal. They're all buddies in an off broadway play. We're the toll paying yokels in the audience.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I pray this is true.  I'd prefer the charges be dismissed without a trial.  As I posted on another thread:

A trial never goes the way either the plaintiff or the defendant expects.  For instance, Chief Justice John Roberts could rule on the scope of executive privilege with respect to high-ranking administration officials as well as any diplomats, national security staff or budget office staff barred up until now by the White House from providing evidence.

It is just as likely that more Trump administration members would be put under oath than democrats.  It would also be up to Roberts to determine if the Senate can call sitting members of the House of Representatives and rule on a Biden subpoena and "whistleblower" protections.  I'm not enthusiastic about putting the fate of POTUS in the hands of John Roberts.

As I said, nothing is certain once a trial is gaveled into session.  This may explain why Senator Cruz last night on Hannity's show said when this hits the Senate, it will be dismissed (based on no fact witnesses and the nature of the charges).

Let's not muddy the waters. Let's get the President through this travesty.  Let Durham deal with the coup plotters (Ukraine will be part of this).  With a second Trump term secured, the DOJ can expand the coup plotters to include the "whistleblower" and Schiff.

But the key to any meaningful justice --- not fleeting high five moments --- is securing the President's second term.